I wrecked my GN at the drag-strip!

bishir

Serenity Now
That last thing I thought would ever happen became reality yesterday. I was racing the 1/8 mile and for some reason that I cannot understand I pulled out and a Promod Nova pulled into the next lane.

Anyways, I had my usually late reaction time so he was ahead. Once we went through the traps the promod lost control, crossed the centerline, and smacked the wall ON MY SIDE! All I could do was stand on the brake. It wasn't enough....

I rear ended him doing about 50. I trapped at about 85 that run and that's probably how much I slowed down. Luckily, he was still moving some too. I knew I took a risk driving my daily driver GN at the track, but this is a case where I did nothing wrong and the accident with the other driver was unavoidable.

I have a video, and pictures that a few of my buddies took. Watching the crash just makes me sick. Especially since we found out the other driver was column shifting and threw the car in reverse! :mad:

At least I can remember my car as it once was on Todd's calendar he's printing now. It was lucky #13.

As for what to do next I'm not certain. I did contact a guy with a smoking but running 86 Grand National for 2000k :eek: He said that is negotiable and it's in good shape. That's good since I"ll need the entire front clip. So far, the frame on the car looks in good shape since I was on the brake so hard. My car just nosedived under his. Hopefully the engine is okay but we couldn't get the hood open and it was dark. I will say that in general racers are great people to be around. Everyone at the track seemed very willing to help especially since they understood that I did nothing wrong in this case. I was able to get a trailer ride home for free, free offers of help from friends, and one guy even told me about that 2k GN.

Unfortunately, I may be done drag racing. I cannot afford for something like this to happen to me. I make a modest living as a teacher and pouring money into a car only to have something like this happen is devastating to me financially and even emotionally since I will say I was very attached to my car. I wanted one since I was 10 years old and bought one 14 years later.

Hopefully though, I can have it back in the road in a few months... stay tuned...

We all that this chance when we go to the track. Just claim it on your insurance. Tell them you where driven down the freeway and someone ran you off the road. Of course tell them you have no police report.

This is part of drag racing. Keep your head up. It will get better.

Good luck.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. As you probably know, your insurance will likely not cover it since it was involved in "a speed contest"..

Goodluck and keep us updated.. Glad to hear you were not hurt.

Keep your head up..
:)

Oh, no flame to Chris McDade, but I wouldn't suggest the insurance fraud thing.. We all know the risks and accept them. Unfortunately, sometimes they bite us in the ass.

Chris, someone said that at the track. My thoughts are that I knew the risks so I must accept them. I'm not willing to commit insurance fraud and risk fines, jail time, and the loss of my career over this. So I'm basically screwed. :(

BTW, I should have video and pictures soon...

James

It's just not right for a dime a dozen Nova to take out a legendary TR.

Well, actually, I'm sorry for the both of you.

Good luck with the rebuild.

:)

Well, actually, I'm sorry for the both of you

Well, the nova was like a 73 and my car did about 50 bucks damage to his rear bumper. His car was a POS with a nice engine. Probably what I should have been running.....
To give you a clue of how bad it was, I found spark plugs in my grill area after the crash. It must have come from his car somewhere :confused:

James

Get a Lawyer. I had some dumasses cross the centerline on me before. If they hit me I swore that's what I'd do.

You have a video and 100's of eyewitnesses that the guy was a dumbass.

Originally posted by bishir
Chris, someone said that at the track. My thoughts are that I knew the risks so I must accept them. I'm not willing to commit insurance fraud and risk fines, jail time, and the loss of my career over this. So I'm basically screwed. :( James

Someone accepting responsibility for their own actions, a unique concept! I highly respect you for that.

If you have not yet checked your insurance policy very close for a racing or competition exclusion, it may be covered?

Actually take a close look at your insurance policy, most are written so a test and tune night is still covered under comprehensive, as long as you were not racing in a sanctioned event (bracket races with a purse). There was a thread on another BB about a guy wrecking his acura NSX on a track and it was eventually covered ($50,000) so all hope isn't lost. The insurance companies don't want to start the idea that it is safer to race on the street since you aren't covered at the track.

Good luck and keep your head up.

UNGN,

I'm thinking about it..... I'm not the type to file a lawsuit, but I've been thinking.

#1. There were no safety inspections that day. How do I know the other car was safe to drive?

#2. It was a Pro-Mod against a street car. I don't think that is even allowed at an NHRA sanctioned track.

#3. Don't NHRA sanction tracks have to abide by strict safety inspections and standards?

#4. I was given no sort of medical attention other than "RU
okay." Lucklily I am, besides a very stiff neck.

I have sent an email to the director of the NHRA sanctioned tracks in the southeast. I have also sent an email asking the owners of the track if this guy has a tech card from yesterday on file. I highly doubt it....

James

If you have not yet checked your insurance policy very close for a racing or competition exclusion, it may be covered?

I'll check even though I highly doubt it since I have State Farm.

Thanks,

James

Call your insurance agent and give it a try. What can it hurt. I'll bet they will probably cover it. Getting a lawyer and going after the guy will get you nowhere no matter how many videos you have. If the judge is anything like the ones I've seen he will say "you play you pay son next case". Hell, the Nova probably wasn't tagged or street legal and the guys probably broke anyway.

Call your insurance agent and give it a try. What can it hurt

I think I'm afraid once they find out I take the car to the strip they'll cancel my policy. Will they do that?

James

Nice guys finish last..

..so on that note, I would find away for my insurance to pay for it..Regardless of wether it is legal or not.

Sorry about your misfortunes. :(

Sorry to hear that! I wrecked mine this year too and just now got all the parts together so I know the feeling. I know you sent a check for the drums. If you don't want them now let me know and I will return the check to you or handle it however you want. Good luck!

Sorry to hear that! I wrecked mine this year too and just now got all the parts together so I know the feeling. I know you sent a check for the drums. If you don't want them now let me know and I will return the check to you or handle it however you want. Good luck!

I'll still take em. You gave me a good deal on em so I can't turn them down now. :D The car is fixable so I'll need the eventually anyways...

Thanks,

James

I'd be contacting the other guy with the Nova and tell him he owes you.You apparently got it on film[the goof into reverse].Than I'd mention that he better not go back to the track if he doesn't pay up.Obviously his brakes aren't up to the car's potential.
That should be enough to get him banned until he's fixed the problem.
I'm guessing he may not even fix the car,just buy another car to put the engine in.
Maybe suggest a lawsuit over his goof.
Next time,race against a car that looks like it's done right or let him take a half track lead and go for the timeslip.
You've got experience on your side when you explain why you didn't race heads up.:(

Originally posted by bishir
Chris, someone said that at the track. My thoughts are that I knew the risks so I must accept them. I'm not willing to commit insurance fraud and risk fines, jail time, and the loss of my career over this.

Well said, but I know it all makes you sick.

You could call your agent and say that you're thinking of using it on the track and ask if they'd cover it on your current policy. If they say yes, then you have more to talk about. If they say no, tell them that's what you thought, "guess I won't do it."

State Farm covered my Amigo for trail damage from 4 wheeling, so they may surprise you. I hadn't made a claim for about 12 yrs, so it didn't even raise my rates.

BTW, glad you were on an 1/8 mi track. If that had happened at the end of a quarter with the speed you guys would be up to, it could have been ugly. Glad you're okay.