I melted # 1 plug, Do low imps Injector drivers go bad or a bad injector

XSboost

I was at track yesterday and melted the # 1 plug all other plugs look fine

did any one ever have this problem I am curently running 83# siemens and

stock computer with low Z drivers? any help would be great.

thanks steve
610-972-5462

What was your indicated a/f ratio? Do you have a wideband datalogger?

Yes I have seen driver's go bad but the car would usually miss at idle. I would have those injectors flowed to make sure that isn't the problem.

How much boost were you running and was it lean? I take it you have enough pump, voltage and line size to support those 83's.

this is my combo 109 block .20 eagle crank comp 214,214 roller T/A stage 1
heads LTGT70 Q trim 3.5 downpipe stock modified headers cometic head gasket, racetronix injector harness and fuel hot wire kit

I have stock lines two pumps intank 2nd pump turns on at 14psi.
I have a wideband o2 a/f 11.1 the wide band is in the downpipe
am running 21psi car ran 10.74 @131.55. 1.74 60 ft the injector is being flowed
as we speek, No powerplate, using 65mm hemco upper. I was running
sunocos 110 straight no mix

thanks guys

XSboost said:
this is my combo 109 block .20 eagle crank comp 214,214 roller T/A stage 1
heads LTGT70 Q trim 3.5 downpipe stock modified headers cometic head gasket, racetronix injector harness and fuel hot wire kit

I have stock lines two pumps intank 2nd pump turns on at 14psi.
I have a wideband o2 a/f 11.1 the wide band is in the downpipe
am running 21psi car ran 10.74 @131.55. 1.74 60 ft the injector is being flowed
as we speek, No powerplate, using 65mm hemco upper. I was running
sunocos 110 straight no mix

thanks guys

Sounds like you may just need a cooler heat range plug. If AFR's were 11.1 like you say, the plug is way to hot. Drew

I am using auto lite 3923, why would it only melt the # 1 plug? I took the car apart and the the piston is cracked and melted.

Maybe you'll find the problem is that injector. If not, fuel pressure could be dropping at WOT and although A/F looks good #1 could be getting lean. With the stock set-up #1 is the last injector to get fuel. I had a fuel supply issue and also cracked #1 piston.

When you start making the power you are making I prefer to swap to a -8 supply line.

I got had the injector flowed it is working just fine, I realy dont want to put a -8 line what if i have a chip made with more fuel. any suggestions I am using a mass air trans plus
with +6% at wide open.

thanks guys for all the help see you at bowling green

You can add all the fuel to the chip you want but if you can't get the fuel to the rail then it won't matter. If your a/f was truely 11.1 then adding fuel only gets you richer. You should run a fuel gauge to your windshield and watch it at WOT to see if the pressure is dropping. If this is the case you are using more fuel than you can get to the rail.

I'll give you an example. We had a car running 10.80's but getting lean with a FAST system and 72's which should not happen. After trying everything we could we gave up and put the -8 line to the rail from the pump. Problem solved, now we have been low 10's with lots of room on fuel. Some cars run 9's with stock lines, some can barely run 10's. Maybe some lines become partially plugged, who know's? If you want to fix it, either replace the stock fuel lines with new ones ( Major PIA) and hope that's the problem or put the bigger line on it.

Dusty thanks for all the help if you get a minute can i call you send me your # or call me

steve

610-972-5462

Dusty this is what i did, I had a extra fuel rail in my shed, I cut the nut off the feed side and got a 3/8 NPT tap and ran it threw to the other side, drilled the rail out with a step drill bit and welded the nut back on and i threaded a 3/8NPT to -8 on it. leak free right now. I just waiting to get my engine back from the machine shop.

thanks for all the help

You still need a fuel pressure gauge to see whats going on at WOT. What fuel pump are you using?

XSboost said:
Dusty this is what i did, I had a extra fuel rail in my shed, I cut the nut off the feed side and got a 3/8 NPT tap and ran it threw to the other side, drilled the rail out with a step drill bit and welded the nut back on and i threaded a 3/8NPT to -8 on it. leak free right now. I just waiting to get my engine back from the machine shop.

thanks for all the help

Sounds like a nice way to do it. Just make sure to check fuel pressure at WOT also to ensure no problems with the pumps.

How about this nice piece of info SUMMIT sells a RUSSEL metric adapter

fitting that 14m x 1.5 to -8 I think this is the right size.

and threads right in the rail just found it today.

I should have the fittings by wed, i will keep you posted

Dusty I will see you at Bowling Green.

I was at track yesterday and melted the # 1 plug all other plugs look fine

did any one ever have this problem I am curently running 83# siemens and

stock computer with low Z drivers? any help would be great.

thanks steve
610-972-5462

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but was there ever a resolution to this?

Id put an egt port on the #1 tube and monitor it that way. Data log it if possible.Too hard to see a small drop in fp on a gauge thats mounted on the hood. The lef bank could be really lean with the #1 hole at over 12:1 while the right side is rich at 10.5:1. Keep in mind the af you are reading is the blended number. Id go to a -8 line myself for over 130mph and no alky. Hes lucky he only lost a plug.

If the..

How about this nice piece of info SUMMIT sells a RUSSEL metric adapter

fitting that 14m x 1.5 to -8 I think this is the right size.

and threads right in the rail just found it today.

I should have the fittings by wed, i will keep you posted

Dusty I will see you at Bowling Green.

bore in the OEM fitting on the rail is not at -8 size, adding that -8 hose and fitting is of little help. The feed line size is only as good as the smallest opening....:eek: