I feel like I NEED to get right with God...

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
I dunno.... I used to go to church, but that didnt work out. People were rude, gossipers, nosy, the pastor thought that he was a pimp, people treated my mom badly, and caused us alot of grief. A good friend and I were talking about religion and faith today. Its been years since ive been to church. I believe in a higher power, but I have alot of questions that need to be answered. People can give me thier/"God" opinon but is it right, or am I wasting my time. I believe in whatever makes people happy and gives them hope THATS what they should believe them. But to some people if you dont believe in thier God, you go to hell... plain and simple. Sience and Religon are like oil and water in our engines, they dont mix, but there is sooo much proof of both. There is proof that the Ark was found in the Himalayas, but there is proof of evoloution. There is the Bible, and there are books, there are the Holy cities of the Middle east that are still in existence today, but in areas of "the cradle of life." I feel lost and Im loosing hope and im 18 years old. God or someone put us on this planet for a purpose, and we should fulfill that purpose if thats the case. Im 18 and i havent done S*it with my life. If i were to die right now while typing this message, what have I done for the world? How have I made it a better place? People... and im sure EVERYBODY here has had a near life or death situation before. I have.... I was supposed to die in a car accident when I was two, but I didnt go in that car, was it my turn, or was I meant to serve a better purpose? To me these feel like questions that I may have to ask myself and God when that day comes.
I say that because Im at a gullible age right now. Ive been exposed to EVERY VICE you can think of, guns, drugs, money... and in each opportunity I feel as if I have made the right choice. Ive done been in situations that if i were to have been caught, I could have lost my t-type, gone to jail, been labled as a criminal or felon, lost my moms car, or even been killed. I think that my mom taught me and raised me to make the right decisons... even without the presence of my father:frown: (lord knows where he is:frown::frown:). Im not trying to be a Big B*tch or nothing it just that this has kinda got me thinking... there is soo much pain in the world, but living in pain in this world just happens to be a sin. I had a friend kill thierselves (no names mentioned) because they thought "why did God make me in this image? he must hate me or else I wouldnt feel like this." You hear stories on mainstream media that blows things out of porportion in my opinon that doesnt make the world better, only worse with no hopes of salvation for anyone. But when the end comes will we be saved, or wasted our time? I read Revilations, and let me tell you, alot of things that happen in the bible are happening now, but in a diffrent way.

THANK YOU TB.COM FOR GIVING YOUR EAR FOR A MOMENT:redface::D

Whats your take? more to come......

I read Revilations, and let me tell you, alot of things that happen in the bible are happening now, but in a diffrent way.

That line says enough IMO...

I personally don't think you have to go to church to be a Christian. I think you have to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. He is whom we need to confide in and seek.

You need to come over to the political section, that is really where we are supposed to discuss this.

You have made the first and biggest step IMO, you know in your heart that something is out there right?

Seek God and you shall find Him!

Shane just covered it all right there man. If its bothering you then you probley need to fix it like anything else !

I've been struggling pretty hard with my faith here lately. Been bitter on the people at church, a couple of them made some comments that I found to be hypocritical at best and just flat out rude. Growing up in a small town I learned early on you can't judge the church by any number of the patrons, however it does get old. The other part that got me was a discussion I had with my wife and her sister, they kept going on about how everything is a test and we either pass or fail God's tests. If this is true, and I don't believe it is, it would drive me away from faith faster than anything. The reason is because after watching my Father suffer and die from cancer over a twenty year battle, I realize that if that was just a test I want no part of whoever was administering the test. What kind of benevolent higher power does that? Just make someone suffer for twenty solid years fighting to stay alive just for the amusement of a "test". One btw that he did not fail, he never questioned or lost faith. He thanked God everyday for his blessings and never, at least that I heard, spoke against God for cursing him with his disease. Last sunday during sunday school we were discussing how God works in people's lives and most everyone in the room had all these stories of answered prayers and how God had done these wonderful things in their lives. One girl spoke up and said how lucky we are to have such a "nice" God who looks out for our lives. I finally asked if it was that same nice God that wiped out every man, woman and child in a flood just to start over (except for Noah of course), or if it was that same "nice" God that sent the plagues, or killed every first born son at the passover. I just think that it is easy to see things from a very naive way if nothing truly bad has happened in your life.

If you asked the question you must feel a need, seek him out and you won't be sorry.

Adam I hear you, we are heading out to church here in a few minutes. Small rural Kansas town, congregation of about 85.

There are hypocrites, gossips etc. But they won't keep me away from my and my families relationship witht he Lord.

I don't feel you have to attend services every week, just be a believer and follow the way. Good deeds don't get ya to heaven like some religions believe.

If we listened to hypocrits and gossips we would all be driving a SVT Cobra and wouldn't have the courage to drive a broke down bucket of bolts V6.

See ya guys after church.

I've been struggling pretty hard with my faith here lately. Been bitter on the people at church, a couple of them made some comments that I found to be hypocritical at best and just flat out rude. Growing up in a small town I learned early on you can't judge the church by any number of the patrons, however it does get old. The other part that got me was a discussion I had with my wife and her sister, they kept going on about how everything is a test and we either pass or fail God's tests. If this is true, and I don't believe it is, it would drive me away from faith faster than anything. The reason is because after watching my Father suffer and die from cancer over a twenty year battle, I realize that if that was just a test I want no part of whoever was administering the test. What kind of benevolent higher power does that? Just make someone suffer for twenty solid years fighting to stay alive just for the amusement of a "test". One btw that he did not fail, he never questioned or lost faith. He thanked God everyday for his blessings and never, at least that I heard, spoke against God for cursing him with his disease. Last sunday during sunday school we were discussing how God works in people's lives and most everyone in the room had all these stories of answered prayers and how God had done these wonderful things in their lives. One girl spoke up and said how lucky we are to have such a "nice" God who looks out for our lives. I finally asked if it was that same nice God that wiped out every man, woman and child in a flood just to start over (except for Noah of course), or if it was that same "nice" God that sent the plagues, or killed every first born son at the passover. I just think that it is easy to see things from a very naive way if nothing truly bad has happened in your life.

Adam, I went through a similiar thing with my dad. Not as long. My dad was far off the path until he got sick. He got right in the end.

Going back to Noah, things were probably much worse than they are know in certian ways. That is a whole nother subject in itself... Sins of the flesh were not the only huge sins then...

Keep your head up brother and I will pray for you!

thats EXACTLY what im saying..... ive read the book of Jobe before and what happened to Jobe happens to alot of us daily. What higher power would let us suffer like that, even if we are sinful people..... that doesnt seem right to me.... that he would allow people to be descriminated against, and let innocent people die, thats a low blow to me. Ive heard several stories of people who survived tragic accidents so that they would spread the word of God in the world today. My friend was telling me last night that he heard a story from a friend. A lady was on an airplane and the airplane had a mechanical malfunction and was going down. This lady was praying to God as surely that everyone on the plane was going to die. She was praying... then all of a sudden just slumped over and died while the plane was going down. Everyone on the plane died exept the two people sitting next to her. They stated that it was like God just took her spirit before she died. I was trying hard not to bust out crying in the middle of the story (do you know what its like to be a 280lbs black guy crying like a beyotch:biggrin::biggrin:). Same thing ive heard in tragic life or death expierineces. I was supposed to die in a car accident when I was two, but do you know what happened... I wasnt in the car that day... if that wasnt luck, then what was it. THAT DAY when I heard that story about that event that almost happened to me, I felt as if I had a Gaurdian Angel watching my back, and if so I SHOULD repay God for the gift of life he gave me.

I know exactly what youre going thru. To tell you the truth Ive been exposed to so many things in my life that sometimes I feel I am 70 years old when in reality I am only 31. All this time Ive struggled with finding a purpose for my life. I do know this much...every since I was a child Ive mingled with the "wrong crowd". Ive never did anything too crazy to get into big trouble but Ive always felt that maybe I can help people understand that there is a better way to live. In the pit of my soul, Ive always felt that maybe my purpose is to minister to people who are in trouble...people who are thugs, criminals, drug addicts, whores etc etc. Did I come from one of these backgrounds? No, I was raised in a two parent home and my father is an emergency room surgeon. My dad always wondered why I chose to hang out with a certain crowd. I used to tell him that he doesnt understand...till this day I dont think I fully understand but I do know that Jesus spent a lot of time around people who were lost....tax collectors, criminals and whores....telling them the truth and letting them know that they are not alone and that God loves them. We were all created to be used as tools by God...our purpose...get on your knees and ask what your purpose is. The answer may have already been given to you but you just havent realized it yet.

Being a part of a church community is a big deal and I have been thru some crazy church drama that has affected my attendance. My ex wife is a 7th Day Adventist and I really couldnt accept their doctrine. This rejection caused a lot of drama that divided our household and caused me to be alienated in her church community. She is now dating the pastor of the very church she tried to me into. I felt something was funny when he used to talk us and come by the house all the time. That made me even more "against" going to church. In the end it was my fault for not being the priest of my own household and leading my family into the direction I felt God wanted us to go. Since that time Ive had a lot animosity about churches as a whole. So I know exactly what youre feeling....my mother tells me that "church" is just wood and stone but the church rests in the hearts of the followers. If you feel that something isnt right in the church you have attended...pray for them and move on.

I find when I'm troubled I find solace in Psalm 40 and Proverbs 3:5-6. He is a loving God and He definately pulled me out of the pit when I prayed and asked for His help. He hears and answers prayers, not necessiarly when we think it would be best but when He knows that it will do the most good. God bless you.

I know exactly what youre going thru. To tell you the truth Ive been exposed to so many things in my life that sometimes I feel I am 70 years old when in reality I am only 31. All this time Ive struggled with finding a purpose for my life. I do know this much...every since I was a child Ive mingled with the "wrong crowd". Ive never did anything too crazy to get into big trouble but Ive always felt that maybe I can help people understand that there is a better way to live. In the pit of my soul, Ive always felt that maybe my purpose is to minister to people who are in trouble...people who are thugs, criminals, drug addicts, whores etc etc. Did I come from one of these backgrounds? No, I was raised in a two parent home and my father is an emergency room surgeon. My dad always wondered why I chose to hang out with a certain crowd. I used to tell him that he doesnt understand...till this day I dont think I fully understand but I do know that Jesus spent a lot of time around people who were lost....tax collectors, criminals and whores....telling them the truth and letting them know that they are not alone and that God loves them. We were all created to be used as tools by God...our purpose...get on your knees and ask what your purpose is. The answer may have already been given to you but you just havent realized it yet.

Being a part of a church community is a big deal and I have been thru some crazy church drama that has affected my attendance. My ex wife is a 7th Day Adventist and I really couldnt accept their doctrine. This rejection caused a lot of drama that divided our household and caused me to be alienated in her church community. She is now dating the pastor of the very church she tried to me into. I felt something was funny when he used to talk us and come by the house all the time. That made me even more "against" going to church. In the end it was my fault for not being the priest of my own household and leading my family into the direction I felt God wanted us to go. Since that time Ive had a lot animosity about churches as a whole. So I know exactly what youre feeling....my mother tells me that "church" is just wood and stone but the church rests in the hearts of the followers. If you feel that something isnt right in the church you have attended...pray for them and move on.

I understand. Im 18 and ive gone through just about everything so far. Ive got a good mama that has tried her best to raise me right, and now its up to me. Ive watched her struggle without a father in my life. Ive always thought that my purpose was to help people.... Ive read online some rather disturbing things. I saw a website that all of the people there wanted to die. They were even putting thier addresses online and telling people that they would give them a tool (ie gun knife whatever) to kill them becuase they wanted to die for some reason or another. I posted on the website (But i didnt think) get right with God first, but instead i though and posted you only get one life, make the BEST of it and make the right choices. To me this leads further down the rabbit hole though..... if we live in pain... why do we have to suffer through it, but if we dont its a sin? Either way its a lose lose situation on my book.

83 turbo, my 2 cents here....

Jesus himself never got into the whole "denomination" thing. In fact he was against it. So if someone is saying "if you don't believe in my God, you're off to hell"....that IMO falls into denomination. Regardless of who you are or what church you belong to, you're either in the body of Christ, or you're not. And who ever is in the body of Christ will dwell within the kingdom. Besides it's not anyone but God's decision on where you go when you die. Judge not lest ye be judged so I say to anyone that condemns me.

As for lousy people church...unfortunately some people in church I feel are worse than the average criminal. It's as if they get this "holier than thou" attitude because they go to church. No it's not required of you to attend church to get right with God but think of it this way....a church is like a group of charcoal briquettes burning hot...you know when you're about to add the burgers and brats and steaks on. What happens if you take out one of those charcoal briquettes? It's fire goes out right? Same thing can happen with church goers. I know, it happened to me. I'm working on getting back up that ladder again.

But only 18? Man you have your whole life ahead of you. There's a reason you're here. Hey...I've gotten into some brushes myself...I was in a car wreck that the paramedics were telling me I was lucky to have crawled out of the car. I've hung around people that were doing things that later got them in trouble with the law felony-wise. I've been caught doing unlawful things that it's any wonder I didn't get hauled off to jail. But I am thankful for each day I have and that I've avoided some of the crazy things I could have gotten myself into.

As for "why does God take all the good people"...that I do not know...obviously there was a reason he didn't want them on earth anymore...it could have been because they were going to do something that would separate them from God and he didn't want it to happen...case in point when I was in church I heard a story on a mother that tried forever to get right with God. Well she did and then she got sick and died not long after...only reason to have thought was she would have sinned again and God does not like unrighteousness in his kingdom. So he took her while she was still right with him, if that makes any sense.

My faith needs some rejuvenating too. That's why I started trying to find a church to fit in. Even now sometimes I question "why" and others I am thankful and encourage others. Just gotta keep your head up. LMK if I can help you anymore.

Jesus himself never got into the whole "denomination" thing. In fact he was against it. So if someone is saying "if you don't believe in my God, you're off to hell"....that IMO falls into denomination. Regardless of who you are or what church you belong to, you're either in the body of Christ, or you're not. And who ever is in the body of Christ will dwell within the kingdom. Besides it's not anyone but God's decision on where you go when you die. Judge not lest ye be judged so I say to anyone that condemns me.

As for lousy people church...unfortunately some people in church I feel are worse than the average criminal. It's as if they get this "holier than thou" attitude because they go to church. No it's not required of you to attend church to get right with God but think of it this way....a church is like a group of charcoal briquettes burning hot...you know when you're about to add the burgers and brats and steaks on. What happens if you take out one of those charcoal briquettes? It's fire goes out right? Same thing can happen with church goers. I know, it happened to me. I'm working on getting back up that ladder again.

But only 18? Man you have your whole life ahead of you. There's a reason you're here. Hey...I've gotten into some brushes myself...I was in a car wreck that the paramedics were telling me I was lucky to have crawled out of the car. I've hung around people that were doing things that later got them in trouble with the law felony-wise. I've been caught doing unlawful things that it's any wonder I didn't get hauled off to jail. But I am thankful for each day I have and that I've avoided some of the crazy things I could have gotten myself into.

As for "why does God take all the good people"...that I do not know...obviously there was a reason he didn't want them on earth anymore...it could have been because they were going to do something that would separate them from God and he didn't want it to happen...case in point when I was in church I heard a story on a mother that tried forever to get right with God. Well she did and then she got sick and died not long after...only reason to have thought was she would have sinned again and God does not like unrighteousness in his kingdom. So he took her while she was still right with him, if that makes any sense.

My faith needs some rejuvenating too. That's why I started trying to find a church to fit in. Even now sometimes I question "why" and others I am thankful and encourage others. Just gotta keep your head up. LMK if I can help you anymore.

Well said.

thanks, that made the most since ive heard so far

Why does bad things happen to good people? Why did God flood the world?

The answer is that he gave us the freedom of choice. God will not force himself on us. He will not do things that make us have to believe in him. He wants us to search him out. The man who was sick for over two decades was not made sick by God. People abuse the gift of choice that God gave us and use it for evil. My belief is that over the years/generations man has done things to the world and our bodies that make us sick. We have for decades dumped chemicals in the ground,,,done things to damage our DNA and when we get sick the first thing people do is ask why God did this!! God didnt do it,,,,we did it to ourselves. The man how suffered all that time probably did not do a thing to give himself cancer. It is the sins of man that cause the pain and suffering. Man chooses to sin,,God does not make him sin.

Noah warned the people for over a hundred years. They refused God. They wanted to choose for themselves what was right and what was wrong. They made themselves gods over themselves (this is true today). In the end there can be only one God, and only his law. It's his house (heaven) and to live in it you live by his rules. If you dont like it he has made a special place where everyone that wants to live by their own rules/laws can live.

We live in a world of relative truth. Everyone lives by what is true to them and we are to respect the thoughts and truths of others. Eventually this will lead to might makes right. It is only a matter of time when one persons truth steps on the toes of another. Which truth wins? There is only one way to the Father and that is through the Son (Jesus).

I hope this wasnt a rant. Just some thoughts that I hope help. It is not Gods desire that his people should suffer. God only gave us what we asked for.

You'll never hear anyone that says they got saved, truly repented and started serving the Lord and wish they hadn't done it and could just undo it. You may see some fall because temptation is real, and the road is tough....and it is. I just think there is a reason so many people close to death ask for a pastor, the reality of insignifigance an eternal damnation by your own chosing is humbling and scarry.
Church and religion is the main reason most lost people stay away from a loving God who deepely wants a relationship. If Christians would show the world how to act instead of asking for forgiveness and ending up in scandal after scandal the public would see the need more clearly.
Brenning Manning sums it up perfectly w/ this; "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle, That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

To address, why God takes the good people; that is part of us being finite in mental capacity, and Him being infinite. If we understood why God did what he does, he wouldn't be much of a God. It takes faith , faith like a child. Having a 3 yr old son who thinks I am superman and I know I am mighty mouse at best, I see a lesson daily in how I have to hone my service through stronger blind faith. People in our age have to know why...and that just wont happen in most cases. I will say after going thru 18 months of hell on earth, I am just coming out the other side, and it is starting to make sense why some VERY tough roads had to be traveled. I had to meet certain people and go certain places to get to today. I miss a turn anywhere along the way and I am not here. If I had chosen I'd taken an easier road, but again I wouldn't be here...I'd have less and be less.

concentrate on your character, integrity, and blind faith in an all knowing God and you may not have an easy road, but you wont go it alone. No one said it'd be easy, but HE promised it'd be worth it.

It's just me but as I get older I question things more and more, I lost my oldest friend in 1995 and question the pain she went thru and now have a friend going thru something similar. I am half way thru the book "If God is Good" and that just makes me question things more.

I am not saying I don't believe I just question things more, just my opinion and won't push anything on anyone as we all find and look for comfort in different ways.........just my two cents.

I'll jump in on this one........

I grew up in a bad situation as a kid. Extremely poor, abusive step dad, my real dad was 2 hours away and I only saw him every other weekend, etc. My mom "found god" and then my life changed for the worse. I had to be in church 4-7 days a week as a kid, I should have been outside playing instead. Then my last day of 6th grade, my mom and step dad dropped the bomb on me that god told them they need moving to California to become missionaries. I wouldnt go! My brother was 3, son of my then step dad. Needless to say, I moved in with my real dad. After a year or so, my mom divorced my step dad because he was beating my little brother too. He moved back to Illinois and didnt talk to my little brother until he was 18. My mom continued to finish her college and started working for a church. My brother grew up with my mom telling him everything he did was not "of the lord." I couldnt talk to mom without her telling me everything I was doing was wrong. She worked at the church and practically lived there too. She paid the church and made my brother do the same, 15% of earnings. Anyways, theres a ton more details. The pastors drove very high dollar cars, houses in the multi-millions, etc. She then found out the pastors were also swingers.

My brother is a good kid but has been in plenty of trouble once he got out into the real world. He's not street smart and doesnt make wise choices when it comes to drugs. He's extemely confused. My mom married a guy that I would consider "normal" and now lives her life happy!

To me, our world has twisted the Bible so many times that humans have made their own religions. And money is also an issue that has proven to be more attractive to people than "saving" your life. There are so many different religions in this world that somebody will always tell you your not doing what is biblically correct, no matter what religion you believe in.

What I feel is that you need to do what you feel is best. I dont believe in going to church, although I do have my faith. I dont want someone else to tell me what I should and shouldnt do. Religion has ruined my life in many many ways. You need to do what you feel you are comfortable with. I'm cmfortable with my life and what god has for me in the future.

We've all experienced faith-shaking events in life. But we are blessed to have that faith to begin with. Where would we be if we did not have that faith? You can see how tragedy affects those who walk in darkness. When you truly have faith to begin with, you will be hit hard, but His grace helps you through and Faith grows stronger and deeper.

I had my dear wife taken by a brain aneurysm when she was only 37. She left me and our 4-year-old son. I assure you, I questioned the very existence of God. I had never prayed so hard as I did during her brief stay in ICU, only to have those prayers go unanswered (so I thought). What kind of God would ignore the pleas for healing, and take such a loving and devoted mother from her young child who needed her? She was the world to him. How could I possibly be Dad and Mom to our son? If God allowed this, I wanted no part of Him.

It has been over 3 years, and there are many questions left unanswered. But one thing helped me through, even when I thought I had none left: Faith. You see, having faith and being a Christian does not mean you won't be affected by tragedy. It happens to everyone, because the world is affected by sin. Because of the introduction of sin into the world, all things are affected. There are many people who twist the Bible and cause confusion in the name of 'religion' (realize that religion in and of itself does NOT equate faith!). It has nothing to do with whether we are Christians or not, whether we live good or sinful lives. Tragedy can strike because of our own free will, the free will of others, or because of some physical or natural anomaly. The world is broken.

That is why faith is so important. I urge you to read the Bible daily. It will help more than you know. One verse cried out to me for a long time before I finally got it, Romans 8:28... "For God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those called according to His purpose." It is important to realize 3 things: 1) God does not cause evil to happen, rather it is the direct result of original sin; 2) God loves us and wants us to be fulfilled, and 3) God will help us through all adversity if we heed his call and put our love and trust in Him.

My wife's death became an opportunity for me to help others through sharing. I realized amazing fulfillment in being a more complete parent to my son than I probably could have otherwise. And it taught me the keys to happiness: giving to others, and loving without expecting anything in return.

You're 18, you've only begun to live! We'll be praying for you. Never forget Christ's sacrifice and what means for you.

from the posts ive seen, it sounds like alot of you guys were saying the same thing... Why does God let the innocent suffer... and if so why? Thats inhumane! Who would let them suffer like that? People tell me that they have served thier purpose on earth and God Decided that it was thier time to go to be judged, and that they had suffered enough. This gave me a little gleam of hope in some way. Hopefully all of the people I know who died in pain and everyone elso who knows someone who has that it was for nothing.