I feel like I NEED to get right with God...

Okay... Ive made up my mind... im going to read the bible on my own, I dont need church. In my opinion you can serve God other than going to church, and I think I can honor him by continuing to be a good person with a good spirit, attitude, personality, and actions.

Wow, it is sad what I am reading here...

It is obvious that so many of us believe but have been betrayed by another human in the name of religion in one way or another...

It isn't about US, it is about serving God.

Please look at the first line of my sig below. That is true. If all you knew me good enough you wouldn't doubt that the Lord saved me a few months back in the hospital. A man my size and the shape I am in goes in with DOUBLE pneumonia, almost dies the first night and walks out 5 days later; No doubt God saved me...

God has changed my life in many ways the last 2 1/2 years. He broke some nasty vices I had and changed me for the better. I am still far from perfect and don't claim to be. However I sleep easy KNOWING God is with me and my family.

I missed several messages from Him earlier in life. Obvious miracles I didn't think really meant anything. Now I understand and see things differently and understand and see that I have been blessed in so many ways.

I got right when I woke up to all the things going on in life that many just call coincidence...

If you truly want to get right with God, seek HIM and not books or websites explaining why He isn't real:mad:

Find people that you can see walk the walk and talk the talk to listen too. If they don't stand to gain a thing from talking to you in any way other than trying to bring another soul to the Lord, that is probably a good one to talk too.

Bad things are going to happen in life, it doesn't matter if you believe or not. It is how you deal with those things that determine who you are in the long run...

Cry out to Him and seek Him.

83turbo,
Jesus did not come to this world to establish a religion. In fact being a Christian is not supposed to be a religon but a relationship. Christ came to help us establish a relationship with GOD. The Jew's during the time of Christ were very religous. They had created all kinds of laws and rules but very few of them had a relationship with GOD. It is very sad but the Church today has become very religous. It is not enough to just know the bible and be a good person,,,you need to ask for Christ to enter your heart and establish that relationship. The rest will come on its own as you learn to let go and trust in him (read FAITH). If someone really loves GOD doing what he asks will come as second nature. It sounds like you love your mother very much. Im sure it is natural for you to want to do what makes her happy. If you screw up she forgives. I think going to Church is something you should try to do but it is not what decides if your saved. As a young Christian it is hard sometimes to figure out who is a true sheep and how is a wolf is sheeps clothing.

Wow!! where to start young one? I'll give it a try but by using the bible itself and not other peoples opinions- which I think is perfect since you decided.....
Okay... Ive made up my mind... im going to read the bible on my own, I dont need church.
In which I think this is a good start for you.

Now without trying to give you a sermon young one I'm gonna do my best so bear with me...:)

Someone earlier questioned why did God let men, women, and children die in the flood? Can you imagine a world that was originally perfect, (until Adam/Eve sinned). And that it progressed from bad to worse when even men, women, and children were so bad that they could rob, kill, and took whatever they wanted? In Genesis 6:5 God himself even said that "the thought of man was only bad --all-- the time". These giant Nephilims were bad, their wives, were bad their children were bad and it never ceased. Only Noah & his family (8) who were saved during that event even warned the people of what was to happen but they did not listen; free choice, free will to decide for themselves. The flood had a purpose and that purpose was to rid the earth of WICKEDNESS. (during that generation).

83T You said you read the book of Job and how he suffered, ok if you read the beginning of Job again, you will see that God did not cause the suffering, Satan did. Even though God allowed it to happen there is a big difference in allowing something to happen and causing it. So for those that blame God for everything, hurricanes, tornado's, other NATURAL disasters are Not true for the bible clearly says" Far be it for the true God to act wickedly" Job 34:10.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people because:

1) of inherited sin/death and imperfection from Adam / Eve. (Romans 5:12)

2) people can be in the wrong place at the wrong time (Ecclesiastes 9:11)

3) Actually " The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one " 1 John 5:19). see foot note.
This world reflects the personality of the invisible spirit creature who is “misleading the entire inhabited earth.” (Revelation 12:9) Satan is hateful, deceptive, and cruel. So the world, under his influence, is full of hatred, deceit, and cruelty. That is one reason why there is so much suffering.

At the beginning of Job Satan stated that Man in general would serve God out of what "man" can get from God (blessings) not because of genuine love.
Was God right or Satan right? You have your answer at the end of Job and every other good situation in the bible, Satan was referring to ALL men and he got proved wrong.

r.. Why does God let the innocent suffer... and if so why? Thats inhumane! Who would let them suffer like that?.

Now as for those who suffered.. No one on earth has ever been undeserving of suffering than the truly innocent, perfect, blameless, upright Son of the living God, Jesus Christ.. This man did nothing wrong, yet God, his Father allowed him to be spat on, slapped, beat, cursed, called names, betrayed, suffered pain, suffered the agony of Death without intervening, can you imagine the pain God himself went through to allow his son to Go through all of that? Well he did, and Jesus willingly done it ,, FOR ALL OF US. why? just as scripture states John 3:16 because he loved the world so much.... and to prove the devil a liar / to break up the works that Satan has done. (1 John 3:8). If God would have interfered with Job/Jesus accusation, Satan and his demon's or even the angels that were watching would have said " AHA!!! I told you he couldn't have done it on his own, your subjects are foolish and selfish etc. etc. blah blah.(Remember Satan said in Job 2:4 that man will do or say anything to save his own skin/life). both cases of Job and Jesus he was proved wrong.

God hates suffering, ( I could expound on another question raised in the garden of Eden in a separate or private post if you'd like). But remember Jesus and his Father has already rectified the situation.

If anyone has died because of suffering, cancer, or other disease, natural or unnatural causes. This will not be a problem for our Creator.

Remember when Jesus was on earth and he healed the sick, cured the lame, gave sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, and even raising the dead? (Matthew 11:5).

These things were done on a small scale of what he promised to do on a much larger scale in the very near future.
Did you ever hear or read of the resurrection hope? This is what he was talking about.
John 11:25
Acts 24:15
John 5:28,29
Isaiah 26:19
Daniel 12:2
Revelation 21:4.

Ok 83t, Im getting winded a little now but I will leave on this note young one.

God does have a purpose and he is giving us free choice or free will to be apart of it, now to know what that purpose is you could email me for more on the subject.

As for you reading the bible yourself that's fine but you will still need help, just as this person did in the book of Acts:
Acts 8: 30-31 Philip ran alongside and heard him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said: “Do you actually know what you are reading?” 31*He said: “Really, how could I ever do so, unless someone guided me?” And he entreated Philip to get on and sit down with him.

That line says enough IMO...

I personally don't think you have to go to church to be a Christian. I think you have to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. He is whom we need to confide in and seek.

You need to come over to the political section, that is really where we are supposed to discuss this.

You have made the first and biggest step IMO, you know in your heart that something is out there right?

Seek God and you shall find Him!

Well said !

read a lot, and pray a lot, learn to listen when you pray...I know that sounds crazy, but learn an attitude of prayer. When you are done, dont say "amen" just go on w/ your day and as things come up, go straight back into prayer, learn to make it a dialog. That is the first big step IMO into learning a relationship is discussions w/ God.

Next find a church. I know, I read everyones issue w/ "church". You are all right I am sure, but if you can get in a church under a called man of God, you will grow faster than w/o. Stay out of the politics, and cliques I agree, but if you wanna learn more, and be more follow someone who knows more and can lead you there. To think reading and praying along will get you there is accurate, but its the slow track. Think of it this way; You wouldnt attempt a trans rebuild by reading a book if an expert would show you for free and lead you w/ vast experience, and experiencing God is FAR more important since you are not guaranteed to hit the pillow tonight w/ a breath left.
Just consider it.
I love seeing great advice from guys here that also have been through hard times lost and saved. You are getting authentic advice iMO.

Okay... Ive made up my mind... im going to read the bible on my own, I dont need church. In my opinion you can serve God other than going to church, and I think I can honor him by continuing to be a good person with a good spirit, attitude, personality, and actions.

yes i said the same to but you know i have found out that you just got to find the right church. The people do make a difference. You will find others with some of the same but different problems. Thats what i have found out and you will be able to relate to them. I was rased as a baptist,but i now go to a metidist church. Just because you are one denomonation does not mean that you have to go there. If you truly belive in the lord our God and Jesus then do as he leads you!! Not me not no one else YOU and GOD!! Remember God is first family is 2nd and everything else is well in the order you want. Read that Bible every day!! You may read the passage 3 months from now and God will lay it on you in a different way. Dont ask me how but he dose it. If it was not for GOD i would probly not have the job i have now. I was laydoff for 6 months when i got a call from a good friend that asked if i wanted to do an under the table job I said yap when and where. I got my lazy butt up and went. With in 4 of the 6 hours i was there i was offered a job for 10.00 and hour. i said yes!! Ya the pay was not as i was making as a machinest but i still have the job and thank God every day for it. Ya it is a mom and pop shop. But i get treated like family nothing for benifets but i am just happy to be treated as a person and not a number on a time clock.God will work in you in his time not your time. I will pray for you Brother in Christ!

My views...

Religion is anything you want it to be... its a very personal thing. I see religion (any religion) as just guidelines for people to just... be good people. So I lean more towards karma and "everything happens for a reason."

I try to help anyone I can, learn from those who come into my life, and just be a good person in general.

And...my answer to "what am I here for?" To help as many people as you can. It may just be motivating a friend to make something of their life, or helping an old lady with her grocery bags.... I saw a guy walking in the pouring rain, I pulled over and gave him my umbrella. All these little things... make life worth living....helping each other is why we are here.

Religion is anything you want it to be... its a very personal thing. I see religion (any religion) as just guidelines for people to just... be good people. So I lean more towards karma and "everything happens for a reason."

I try to help anyone I can, learn from those who come into my life, and just be a good person in general.

And...my answer to "what am I here for?" To help as many people as you can. It may just be motivating a friend to make something of their life, or helping an old lady with her grocery bags.... I saw a guy walking in the pouring rain, I pulled over and gave him my umbrella. All these little things... make life worth living....helping each other is why we are here.

you dont mind me saying this... what you said reminded me of a girl i used to go out with, she was a gangbanger, but she was cool and had big heart and wanted to help people. She helped homeless people, provided for her family when no one else would, and learned alot from the streets, but was still able to maintain her intergrity....

I used to call her my little ghetto Mother Teresa:D
I miss her a little......

you dont mind me saying this... what you said reminded me of a girl i used to go out with, she was a gangbanger, but she was cool and had big heart and wanted to help people. She helped homeless people, provided for her family when no one else would, and learned alot from the streets, but was still able to maintain her intergrity....

I used to call her my little ghetto Mother Teresa:D
I miss her a little......

I DO believe in karma and what goes around comes around....

:)

... I dont need church. In my opinion you can serve God other than going to church, and I think I can honor him by continuing to be a good person with a good spirit, attitude, personality, and actions.

Just read through the postings... and 83Turbo... I totally agree with what you said here. Best of luck to you in finding your way.

I like the last paragraph

Have I spoken this day of aught else?
Is not religion all deeds and all reflection,
And that which is neither deed nor reflection, but a wonder and a surprise ever springing in the soul, even while the hands hew the stone or tend the loom?
Who can separate his faith from his actions, or his belief from his occupations?
Who can spread his hours before him, saying, "This for God and this for myself; This for my soul, and this other for my body?"
All your hours are wings that beat through space from self to self.
He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked.
The wind and the sun will tear no holes in his skin.
And he who defines his conduct by ethics imprisons his song-bird in a cage.
The freest song comes not through bars and wires.
And he to whom worshipping is a window, to open but also to shut, has not yet visited the house of his soul whose windows are from dawn to dawn.

Your daily life is your temple and your religion.
Whenever you enter into it take with you your all.
Take the plough and the forge and the mallet and the lute,
The things you have fashioned in necessity or for delight.
For in revery you cannot rise above your achievements nor fall lower than your failures.
And take with you all men:
For in adoration you cannot fly higher than their hopes nor humble yourself lower than their despair.

And if you would know God be not therefore a solver of riddles.
Rather look about you and you shall see Him playing with your children.
And look into space; you shall see Him walking in the cloud, outstretching His arms in the lightning and descending in rain.
You shall see Him smiling in flowers, then rising and waving His hands in trees.

It is so easy.

Mark 10:46-52
Bartimaeus needed God to come through for him. He believed Jesus was the Messiah and he cried out to Jesus and Jesus answered him.

Read Mark 10:46-52, because God always, always, always hears the cry of a desperate heart and responds. I promise you. You can't fool God so don't try.

Enter into a relationship with Jesus and you will hear and understand.

Mikey

My friend you have a lot of questions and that is good. There are some questions that can be answered and some that can't in our limited understanding. What kind of God would He be if we could understand all of His ways? Reading the Bible on a consistent basis is a must.
You must base your thoughts on Biblical truths:
1-NO ONE is innocent in the world. We have sin imputed (given) to us from Adam (Romans 5:12, Romans 3:10).
2-You must be born again (fancy way of accepting the Holy Spirit in your life) to enter Heaven (John 3:3)
3-Jesus is THE ONLY WAY to Heaven (John 14:6)
4-Your works WILL NOT SAVE you but are signs of a possible/probable proof of being born again (Ephesians 2:8, Isaiah 64:6)
5-The Lord hates religious hypocrites more than anyone on this mesasage board (Matthew 7:15-23, Matthew 23)
6-The Lord desires that you come to Him and He is waiting with open arms (2 Peter 3:9, Luke 7:11-31)

I would highly recommend that you read the Gospel of John, which emphassies Jesus's deity (Godliness) and Proverbs. You can read one for the day of the month. There are 31 Proverbs. You MUST surround yourself in Biblical truth in order to grow. Biblical truth comes from THE BIBLE and not from me or any other's opinion. A very good website to go to is Bible Questions Answered
They are very accurate on the vast majority of questions.

Do you need a church (building) to be saved? No you don't. But having a church (family) is instrumental in you growing, learning and being supported and uplifted (Hebrews 10:25). Find yourself a good Bible believing chuch and attend worship and Bible studies and if you are truly seeking The Lord He will appear. I was searching for about 1 year until I was ready. The church in the New Testament is never referred to as a building, but rather as 'the believers'.

I will tell you this, you will never regret coming to The Lord and He will trade your ashes in for beauty.

He will make your scarlet red sins as white as snow (Isaiah 1:18)

He can restore what the evil people have taken away (Joel 2:25, Job 42:12-15)

If you ever want to talk about it, please PM me with your phone # and a good time to call or you could get my phone # and we could speak. Will keep you in our prayers.

And also please don't equate Jesus/God for church. Jesus is perfect, people aren't.
Don't let past experiences prejudice you. People sin. Pastors sin. Sunday school teachers sin. Living a sinless life is impossible. Living a godly life is possible.
Our God is not a derelict father and He takes delight in all that follow in His ways (Psalm 147:11)

Many have expressed a wondering of why a benevolent God would allow others to suffer, seemingly needlessly. I'd like to adress that from another perspective. Firstly, the world is not nor has it ever been a benevolent place. God's benevolence isn't IMHO to keep us from an inherent suffering of this life, but to guide us through it. We must also consider the truths in the knowledge passed on by other faith's as well as Christianity. The Hindu's believe that spiritual growth comes through many lifetimes of expanding in service to God toward the goal of enlightenment. I believe that there is knowledge to be gained from many doctrines, just as I believe that Christianity has been watered down for societal consumption by the Roman's and not yet corrected. No matter the name or face you place on God we can all agree that there is both good and evil surrounding us in this life, this plane of existence. God Does test us necessarily because the world test's us. Not just for our own growth, but for leadership in future lives in the fight against evils. The world we see ourselves or others dear to us in is in a military acronym, a SERE school. (survival,evasion,resistance,escape) We must survive this world while evading and resisting the many unrighteous paths presented to us before our final escape, not to everlasting peace, but further enlightenment and opportunity of service. Just as the forces of evil recruit through pain and sacrifice, so must good test those who will lead the forces of righteousness. Blessed is the man who despite all the pain and sacrifice of his life Praises God and spreads LOVE! Reading the bible is all well and good, but God's message isn't a candle to be held beneath a basket, we must spread it, be thankful for it and praise him who guides us toward the next opportunity. Finding the right group of fellow worshipper's is important. But one thing I've grown to realize is that just like I've learned from many here @ TB, the right group of worshipper's may not fit entirely within my current understanding of things. My own growth may be required to see the further opportunity awaiting me.;)

I've been struggling pretty hard with my faith here lately. Been bitter on the people at church, a couple of them made some comments that I found to be hypocritical at best and just flat out rude. Growing up in a small town I learned early on you can't judge the church by any number of the patrons, however it does get old. The other part that got me was a discussion I had with my wife and her sister, they kept going on about how everything is a test and we either pass or fail God's tests. If this is true, and I don't believe it is, it would drive me away from faith faster than anything. The reason is because after watching my Father suffer and die from cancer over a twenty year battle, I realize that if that was just a test I want no part of whoever was administering the test. What kind of benevolent higher power does that? Just make someone suffer for twenty solid years fighting to stay alive just for the amusement of a "test". One btw that he did not fail, he never questioned or lost faith. He thanked God everyday for his blessings and never, at least that I heard, spoke against God for cursing him with his disease. Last sunday during sunday school we were discussing how God works in people's lives and most everyone in the room had all these stories of answered prayers and how God had done these wonderful things in their lives. One girl spoke up and said how lucky we are to have such a "nice" God who looks out for our lives. I finally asked if it was that same nice God that wiped out every man, woman and child in a flood just to start over (except for Noah of course), or if it was that same "nice" God that sent the plagues, or killed every first born son at the passover. I just think that it is easy to see things from a very naive way if nothing truly bad has happened in your life.

i'm pretty sure me and you are the same age. way to young to lose a parent. i couldn't imagine.
20 years of hell, for a eternity in heaven, greater will be his reward. if only everything in the bible could be clearly black and white, but it never will be. screw everybody else's interpretations. what it all ends up coming down to, is faith. and your fathers up there counting on you:smile:

Repent of your sins and put your faith in Christ. Sincerely pour out to God. He will deliver you. Ask God to put some mature Christians in your life. Ask God to direct you to a Christ-honoring church so you can learn His word and learn to worship Him. God's word IS awesome. Jesus, born of a virgin, lived a Holy sinless life, tipped the cup of death to satisfy God's wrath to pave a way to Heaven. For God so loved 83Turbo, that he sent his only son to die on a cross for you, that whosoever believe in him would not parish but have everlasting life. Get on your knees now and put your face in the dirt. Get right with God. You are loved by God and loved by the Christians that are on this board. I will pray for you and ask that the God of the heaven would move in a mighty way.

Trust in Christ Alone

I'm just so "blown away" by the Godly responses from folks on this board.

I've been watching this thread and I will state clearly and without doubt that I am a Christian. I do not go to church because of the crap that goes on. I don't believe in dog and pony shows so it isn't worth it to me. If you want a good resource here it is.

Watchman Fellowship: A Christian Research and Apologetics Ministry

It will give you some info about the current groups that will screw you up and those that are worth joining. I've had more than one issue with the morons, assembly of the godless, seventh day advertisers, johovas wittless ect. Know what you're getting into before you join and you will be allright. I forgot the church of the christless (ICOC) as well.

I've been watching this thread and I will state clearly and without doubt that I am a Christian. I do not go to church because of the crap that goes on. I don't believe in dog and pony shows so it isn't worth it to me. If you want a good resource here it is.

Watchman Fellowship: A Christian Research and Apologetics Ministry

It will give you some info about the current groups that will screw you up and those that are worth joining. I've had more than one issue with the morons, assembly of the godless, seventh day advertisers, johovas wittless ect. Know what you're getting into before you join and you will be allright. I forgot the church of the christless (ICOC) as well.

do you know whats wierd... thats EXACTLY what I went through at churc, and it put my and my family through hell to say the least. I would rather serve God on my own, than with the masses.