Hyper pistons= bad?

Banning,

I don't think they are glass to detonation either..... I detonated yours before you got them :D Didn't you? :p And weren't you running EGT's of 1700? Pretty hot!

My current motor has had some pretty serious knock tuning on the street (huh Frank) at 25 PSI and they are still kicking.

They'll work if properly installed/ring gapped, and NEVER detonated.
However, I HATE 'EM!!!
I've broken two over the years. One of them blew the side out (ring land) as if a grenade went off in it.
I wouldn't put them back in my motor for any reason.
But, I do still have 5 remaining good .030 hypers left from an old motor. I'd be happy to sell them cheap to anyone who likes them and wants spares for when they break theirs.

Otherwise, I'll use 'em as paper weights...

Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ
4+ yrs and hundreds of passes later the engine just continues to make power flawlessly. As much as I hate to admit it, it has seen its share of detonation when I was learning to tune the beast. Just yesterday it saw 26psi

That is about what I was going to report on my hyper experience.

I pound the hell out of'em. No problems.

It seems to me, everytime this subject comes up, someone has to relate second hand info about a hyper in a Mazda or some other non buick car........ the 2 have nothing in common. As for the one blown piston just stated, I wonder if you used the same piston by FM we are talking about. Unfortunately FM makes other pistons for different applications that some have used for the wrong motor, could be the case there. I just wasted a forged piston in my motor, should I use them for paperweights? One of my customers had the sme type of damage on a piston we thought we're the FM's. on closer examination, it was the NA piston.