how well does the TA49 work w/ stock converter

ANDYS87

I'm thinking about going a step above my stock turbo while retaining the stock look...and keeping my stock torque converter. I guess that leads me to the TA49. How does it perform and how well does it spool in this application? any down sides to it? My ultimate goal is mid 11's.

The TA 49 does well, just a hint of lag but barely noticble from stock with stock converter, with a restalled stocker it does great, I have no downsides with this setup and have ran high 11s with stock downpipe and airbox. It will take alot of boost to get mid/low 11s, maybe 27# or more depending on the rest of your setup and tune.

Thanks
Bill

Ta49

I have one on mine with stock converter, i get around 1-5psi while foot braking, overall a great turbo, turbo lag, is not really an issue.

If you have the extra funds and want a stock appearing turbo, Cottons Performance sells PTE Billet stock appearing TA style turbos with Air Cooled Dual Ball Bearing cartridge.

Product ID: PTB-TA
PTE NEW BILLET TA TURBO

Details
These new models feature PTE's unique, CEA (Competition Engineered Aerodynamics) machined forged aluminum compressor wheels and our HP Technology turbine wheels. In addition, these new turbochargers will have the Stock Appearing TA style compressor cover, for a true stealthy and stock appearance. They are available with standard journal bearings, or our latest Air Cooled Dual Ball Bearing cartridge. With regards to your oil feed line, oil drain line, heat shield and downpipe. These turbochargers will also be available with your choice of a Precision Buick 3-bolt style turbine housing in .63 or .85 A/R. They are designed to work with a Standard Duty wastegate actuator or a Heavy Duty wastegate actuator that bolts to a stock turbo. There are four new models to choose from.

PTE NEW BILLET TA TURBO, Turbochargers & Related Parts, PTB-TA | Cotton's Performance Buick Grand National Parts & Service

The TA49 works just like the stocker, until you turn the boost up thats when you can fell the difference it makes. I and several friends all ran TA60s with the stock TC and everyone of us were in the 11s

If you have the extra funds and want a stock appearing turbo, Cottons Performance sells PTE Billet stock appearing TA style turbos with Air Cooled Dual Ball Bearing cartridge.

PTE NEW BILLET TA TURBO

Details
These new models feature PTE's unique, CEA (Competition Engineered Aerodynamics) machined forged aluminum compressor wheels and our HP Technology turbine wheels. In addition, these new turbochargers will have the Stock Appearing TA style compressor cover, for a true stealthy and stock appearance. They are available with standard journal bearings, or our latest Air Cooled Dual Ball Bearing cartridge. With regards to your oil feed line, oil drain line, heat shield and downpipe. These turbochargers will also be available with your choice of a Precision Buick 3-bolt style turbine housing in .63 or .85 A/R. They are designed to work with a Standard Duty wastegate actuator or a Heavy Duty wastegate actuator that bolts to a stock turbo. There are four new models to choose from.

PTE NEW BILLET TA TURBO, Turbochargers & Related Parts, PTB-TA | Cotton's Performance Buick Grand National Parts & Service

Will this bolt on like the stocker w/ out any mods? And can I still use a heat shield?

Will this bolt on like the stocker ? Yes

w/ out any mods? You might need a new adjustable wastegate actuator

And can I still use a heat shield? Yes

PTE NEW BILLET TA TURBO

Details

I looked this up and there are a few choices to make when ordering. Remember, I want to keep my stock torque converter. So, what would be the best choices:

1. Journal bearing or ball bearing? does this have any effect on the oil feed and return lines?

2.turbine housing in .63 or .85 A/R?

3. Choice of wheel sizes: 55/57, 58/57, 62/62, 62/65?

I emailed Jack about all of this, but would like to get a lot of input so I pick the right one and am not disappointed. Thanks

you will be much happier with a restall on your d5,or an upgraded converter.stick with the smallest ex housing you can find.

I believe the 58/57 = (TA 49) with .63 housing and ball bearing center if you are going to run the stock converter.You can call Jack and speak to him directly,he will answere all your questions.But just like Mr Spool says you might be happier with a restalled or upgraded converter.You might want to post a thread in the transmission section and ask what limitations does the stock D-5 converter have then base that information on selecting the right turbo for your goals.Hope this helps,ikle.

Few things to also consider

Several version(s) of the TA 49 turbo are made. One version uses the stock exhaust housing so low end torque does not suffer with the stock converter. Another version(s) uses all new exhaust housing and that version low end suffers slightly in every day driving unless the converter has been changed. This is not to imply one is better than the other just to make you aware that you need to research what your end game plan is to avoid disappointment.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

You could also do as I did and have a trusted turbo shop upgrade your stock turbo to TA49 specs. I had The Turbo Exchange in Concord,NC do mine and have been very pleased. I run a stock D5 converter with no issues and really don't have any noticable lag difference. This was a less expensive option to buying an entire unit and they have a good warranty. They've been in business for a long time and stand behind their work with only a 2-3 day turn around. Just an option.

Have you ever thought about a te-44 ?;) I had this turbo years ago with a precision .63 housing and Went 11's at over 115mph with an un opened stock 86 gn from (Dennis kirban;)) ..... Did it on 20LBS.. 2.1 Sixty S/F... (Im Sure The 35 Degree (PITBULL) from atr had a little to do with it...) Its almost the same turbo.. Which ever way you decide to go, save your money and go with a J/B turbo.. :D

Have you ever thought about a te-44 ?;) I had this turbo years ago with a precision .63 housing and Went 11's at over 115mph with an un opened stock 86 gn from (Dennis kirban;)) ..... Did it on 20LBS.. 2.1 Sixty S/F... (Im Sure The 35 Degree (PITBULL) from atr had a little to do with it...) Its almost the same turbo.. Which ever way you decide to go, save your money and go with a J/B turbo.. :D

I thought about it, but want stock look, a direct bolt on, and be able to use my heat shield. I don't think you can do this w/ a 44???

forzfed,

Does the 44 bolt right up? use the same oil lines? If it fits under the heat shield it will still look pretty stock. How does its performance compare to the TA49 w/ stock converter?

forzfed,

Does the 44 bolt right up? use the same oil lines? If it fits under the heat shield it will still look pretty stock. How does its performance compare to the TA49 w/ stock converter?

It is identical to the TA49 with the exception that it has an integral bell housing which is more efficient than the 49. Waste gate will have to be adjusted and rebolted to line up. I've pulled a best 60ft of 1.61 with stock converter on a cold day. It spools really good!

Andys87, It looks like your getting a little confused on what turbo you should purchase.I know what that feels like, we all want to get the perfect turbo for our combo the first time around,so we can go fast and not waste any money in the process.What might make your purchase a little easier is to install your alky kit and max out your stock turbo first so you can see what that little turbo can do.Then if it doesn't make you happy you can always purchase a ta49/te44.Most of the fast guys max out there combo first before trying a new one.Remember its not just the turbo selection that makes our cars fast,its the whole combo.