HOW TO... valve springs?

GNJAY302

hey guys, just wanted to make sure i got the right stuff. im changing the stock valve springs after 70k+ miles on the unopened longblock. i ordered comp cams 980-12 (jegs) springs and 502-12(jegs)seals. my cam,etc. is all stock. i should be good with this setup,right? also, should i change retainers or anything else?-im thinking no but again not sure. and last but not least, can anyone post up a good how to install valve springs link. ive looked everywhere in tech and engine sections but cant find anything very good. thx fellas-j

mtbraun wrote a nice procedure on how to replace the valve spring; also found this on you tube, Try to ignore his humor and follow some of his tips on replacing the valve springs

You will not be ok just throwing them on. The most important part of installing is verifying the installed heights so that you have the correct pressures when they are installed. Failure to do this will result in an unknown result. Why would you want to go through the hassle if you werent sure if it was being done correctly? Sadly most dont check and think because they changed springs they are ok. Ive redone many sets of improperly setup springs.

You will not be ok just throwing them on. The most important part of installing is verifying the installed heights so that you have the correct pressures when they are installed. Failure to do this will result in an unknown result. Why would you want to go through the hassle if you werent sure if it was being done correctly? Sadly most dont check and think because they changed springs they are ok. Ive redone many sets of improperly setup springs.

You know Mr.bison it's a shame for someone to display on how to replace the valve spring, but forgets to explain what you have mentioned of making the height adjustment which is a very important procedure.
Is it possible for you to create a video on how to replace the valve spring from start to finish?
There are many mentors on board with lots of experiences, and you're no exception from rebuilding TR engines and including turbos with great results from other members comments. It's easy to replace parts and gaskets, but when you get right to it, not knowing the unknown, is what many beginners and intermediates want to know on how to do the repairs and do it correctly. Thanks

I found out the hard way just installing new springs is not what it takes , I just ordered a new high dollar , Digital Valve spring tester , a install height gauge, calipers, ass load of shims and numerous supply of valve springs in all shape and sizes and different spring tension , like Bison says its not a plug and play by no means. They are a lot of factors going on with these springs and valves in making them happy .

GNONYX said:
You know Mr.bison it's a shame for someone to display on how to replace the valve spring, but forgets to explain what you have mentioned of making the height adjustment which is a very important procedure.
Is it possible for you to create a video on how to replace the valve spring from start to finish?
There are many mentors on board with lots of experiences, and you're no exception from rebuilding TR engines and including turbos with great results from other members comments. It's easy to replace parts and gaskets, but when you get right to it, not knowing the unknown, is what many beginners and intermediates want to know on how to do the repairs and do it correctly. Thanks

I don't have time to do a video but I can post a pic of the simple tool I use to check heights with later. It takes about one minute to check one height. Then grab the proper amount if shim (or none) and re-install the spring. At this point if you've already measured the spring pressures you will know exactly what pressure you have. There's no second guessing.

I can post a pic of the simple tool I use to check heights with later
Bison , When you have time would you send the board a pic of the simple tool you are talking about , Thanks

Bison , When you have time would you send me a pic of the simple tool you are talking about , Thanks
You know that is very selfish of you to only think of yourself for Bison to send you a photo.
I asked Bison post a video and his reply was he has no time (understandable), but is willing to post a pic of the simple tool he use to check heights for all members to benefit the tool.
Please understand, this great site is for all members to share their experience, whether you're an amature or experience mechanic we all like to read the out come of your repairs or projects.

You know that is very selfish of you to only think of yourself for Bison to send you a photo
Sorry about that it has been changed as we all can benefit from it , thanks for your comment .

thanks for the tips bison and everyone, i kinda had a feeling it wasnt a run through job. im really lucky to live so close to a few good guys who know how to do it correctly, ill call jimmy dunn and mike from GNS to see if i can pay them to do it and hopefully they will let me watch and learn something. nothing in life is free and i have no problem payin for knowledge- part of the game.thx again guys-j

thanks for the tips bison and everyone, i kinda had a feeling it wasnt a run through job. im really lucky to live so close to a few good guys who know how to do it correctly, ill call jimmy dunn and mike from GNS to see if i can pay them to do it and hopefully they will let me watch and learn something. nothing in life is free and i have no problem payin for knowledge- part of the game.thx again guys-j
If possible, can you video them doing the replacement as we can benefit the experience work? If not then that's OK we try. Thanks

Here's a pic of the height indicator in use:

Attachments

• image-1211418355.jpg
    image-1211418355.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 227
Here's a pic of the height indicator in use:
Thanks for the photo Bison
Now I need to read and found out on how to use that type of tool. I always had the heads remove and sent them out to the machine shop for valves job and re-surface.

It shouldn't make a difference on finish...but when using just make sure your surfaces are clean of any debris, grit, oil, etc. That's spring pocket, keeper, shims and both end of the tool. I check springs new out of the box......compress each one to almost coil bind several times in a row and then use final reading and lb mark what each one is and if there is a pocket that is a little shallow ill put a lil weaker spring in that spot and of course shim where needed in a deeper spot, etc

Also, IMO its good practice to allow new valve springs to fully cool to room temp after initial run up to temp. I believe it helps the springs tempering.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It shouldn't make a difference on finish...but when using just make sure your surfaces are clean of any debris, grit, oil, etc. That's spring pocket, keeper, shims and both end of the tool. I check springs new out of the box......compress each one to almost coil bind several times in a row and then use final reading and lb mark what each one is and if there is a pocket that is a little shallow ill put a lil weaker spring in that spot and of course shim where needed in a deeper spot, etc

Also, IMO its good practice to allow new valve springs to fully cool to room temp after initial run up to temp. I believe it helps the springs tempering.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Thanks for the extra tips, when the time comes for me to replace the valve springs, I'll keep you in mind as well as Bison.