How to test waste gate solenoid

Same car and I haven't pulled the intake off yet. I thought I would get the new turbo on and was hoping for boost. Seems like its that time.

Hope springs eternal! :D
Have you checked all your exhaust connections, driver's side etc?
The ZERO boost thing still is a puzzler
Lag I could see...ZERO...something is screwy

I'm going to recheck compression today and I think your right that I need a smart TR guy to give it a look. I don't live far from Paulie and hope I can convince him for a drive by. Of course whiling to pay for all his time. I need to verify internals and go from there. I thought I had every tool a car needed but I don't have a dial indicator. So compression check that fuse for the hell of it and go from there. Thanks as always for the great suggestions!

Is there a aftermarket electronic boost control? That will make the boost solenoid open and close rapidly. That could be the claping noise.

Could be.
I always thought my header leaks sounded more like lifters, more clicky, but maybe the crossover
The thing that gets me on this one is he gets ZERO boost, or so the gauge says.

Probably because he was trying to improperly test for boost.

Other then power braking once for 10 sec that was it for testing boost. Other down my street and giving it a little gas a second time.

I'm going to recheck compression today and I think your right that I need a smart TR guy to give it a look. I don't live far from Paulie and hope I can convince him for a drive by. Of course whiling to pay for all his time. I need to verify internals and go from there. I thought I had every tool a car needed but I don't have a dial indicator. So compression check that fuse for the hell of it and go from there. Thanks as always for the great suggestions!

A cheap dial indicator is cheaper than an intake gasket.

Well, I pulled all the plugs and tested compression in each cylinder, 1,2,4,5,6 exactly 145. 3 was 147. Next will be to verify the cam. Thanks for all the help.

1. It takes more than a little gas to build boost in most applications.

2. Is your boost gauge hooked up to a good source? There are a couple one way valves on some of the vacuum lines that would allow vacuum but not boost.

I connected the vac/boost gauge as detailed in vortex site. As soon as it gets above freezing I am going to test the gauge with 15lbs of air from my compressor. I haven't taken the car on a real good test drive as yet waiting for my insurance so I can register it. Should be this week.

Update: found a hard line cracked and once fixed both the gauge and the dash LEDs show boost. Only tested once due to other issues but the boost gauge did get to 10 and the LEDs lite across the dash. The clapping sounds have finally gone silent. marvel mystery oil run through the engine and letting it idle for a few hours off and on seemed to correct that. Now I am fairly sure I have a HG issue with coolant getting into the combustion chamber. White sweet smelling smoke out the tail pipe. Not sure if re sure it's worth the money for the test kit as I am pretty darn sure it's a Hg issue. Now trying to decide to pull the entire engine for a go over or just replace the hg's. Going back to the seller who sold me the "runs perfect when I stored it" car for a rebate. Any idea what a would a Hg replacement cost for a garage to do it? That's what rebate I want. Thanks for all the help!!

dale cherry in horsham PA recently qouted one guy here 2800 to pull motor and change headgaskets
that was heads with studs that he claimed needed to bepulled to change,they can be done with motor in car but wouldnt expect estimate to be much less

Trying to brake torque to build boost on a stone cold engine will pop a head gasket. Ask me how I know. Of the two head gaskets I've popped over the last 27 years, that was one.

I only tested the boost when the engine was completely warmed up. I even used the SM to verify operating temp before my boost test. I am assuming that's why this car was parked for the last 13 years. That and a shot turbo.
Thanks for the replies. Since I will be pulling the motor I will have to start to read rebuild threads. Anyone know a builder familiar with GN motors in central NJ. I have used bitner automotive in Trenton in the past for my z 302 builds but these motors seem like they need special attention.

Last edited:
If you were trusting that factory boost gauge to set your boost levels, that might have been what set wheels in motion. Those things are inaccurate approximately 100% of the time. In your case it was reading low due to cracked signal line and you were wailing on the car trying to get it to read high.

The compression test came out very good, but you need to do a leakdown test and/or a cooling system pressure test before you start ripping heads off.

or actually drive the car, pull the plugs and see if one of them is steam cleaned and tastes sweet.

and if you're in an area that's done freezing get that antifreeze out of the cooling system ASAFP. If you do have leaky gasket the last thing you want is antifreeze hitting your bearings.

Update: found a hard line cracked and once fixed both the gauge and the dash LEDs show boost.

Let me take a wild guess which hard line was cracked.
This one?

Attachments

• LEAKING MAP HARDLINE - AT BEND & BRAZE POINT - 1.JPG
    LEAKING MAP HARDLINE - AT BEND & BRAZE POINT - 1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 82
  • LEAKING MAP HARDLINE - AT BEND & BRAZE POINT - 2.JPG
    LEAKING MAP HARDLINE - AT BEND & BRAZE POINT - 2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 77
Going back to the seller who sold me the "runs perfect when I stored it" car for a rebate. Any idea what a would a Hg replacement cost for a garage to do it? That's what rebate I want.

Hehehe
All my cars ran perfect when I stored them.
It was when I ran them they gave me problems.
In all seriousness - you didn't really believe that load of malarkey did you?

Best Chris Rock line:
Just remember - No matter what a stripper tells you, there is no sox in the champagne room.
None.
Oh there's champagne in the champagne room :D

Chris Rock was mistaken.

Funny story... When I was 4 my grandfather James Hatfield (grandson of Devil Anse Hatfield) let me eat 1 and a half tubs of Cool Whip... I didn't touch that shit for 20+ years.... So one day I'm in the VIP room at the Cheetah 3. An Atlanta Braves player was banging a chick on a pool table, I was in the 'shower area' with a couple strippers and a playboy model when the body shots started. A stripper sprayed Cool Whip in my mouth and all I thought was 'please don't throw up in the VIP room, please don't throw up in the VIP room, please don't throw up in the VIP room.....'

I didn't, and Chris Rock is wrong.

good times.

Let me take a wild guess which hard line was cracked.
This one?

Probably the 25 year old plastic line that run to the MAP. They've been falling apart the last couple years pretty consistently.

And as soon as I finish up with an eviction, I'm heading down to PCB in search of warmer climets and drink beers with a few members from here :)

Now what about that that Y vacuum fitting that has that special air bleed hole inside? Could that be the one that was cracked? Many people have been dooped by that fitting. It's not just a Y fitting.