how do you drive your car

bro its an 87 Regal. wat were u expecting a corner carving wizard? yea they handle like shit but I don't know any car that gets as many "thumbs up" as my GN does every time I take it out.....:smuggrin:

I sit in mine and make motor noises since it is on jack stands in the garage waiting on me to have the time, money and energy to start working on again. Two girls playing select soccer and one playing high school soccer, plus cross country, plus track keeps me in the road and the bank account drained (not counting the girly stuff, :kiss::p:rolleyes::D), but I wouldn't have it any other way. But I will say the current Ratty Muscle Car movement has perked my interest in getting the GN back on the road without being all spruced up, so there is hope!;)

Mine loves the highway and backroads. Have to have suspension upgrades. 17 inch wheels minimum and sticky non drag tires. Nitto NT01 R compound are great. Taller ball joints up front help steering geometry. Poly bushings up front everywhere and HR parts rear control arms. KYB shocks, and cut half a coil off my front springs to drop it a bit. Worst part about my car is I have to readjust my driver window to seal up better, has tons of wind noise over 45mph right now. I took my stereo out to save weight for racing, I don't miss it, and I can bring a portable blutooth if I want to listen to something.

I drive mine WFO all the time. Its when I drive it like a granny something goes wrong, so my logic is simple.

It has to be a perfectly sunny day with almost no chance of rain; I have T-Top and B-pillar weatherstrip seal issues and don't want to get any water in the car. I even have to wash it carefully; until I replace the weatherstripping, no pressure washing! But I definitely enjoy driving it...get lots of looks, and a surprising number of "kids" under 25 years of age who actually know what it is. (To their credit, I haven't had the "Nice 'Carlo" comments in a good long time.)

Back in the day, it seemed we were racing somebody off stoplights all the time...now, it's practically impossible to find a dance partner. I used to remember guys swooping up from behind to get beside me, and the next stoplight, it was on. Now, is it just my imagination, but every time I see someone coming up aggressively in the rear-view mirror, they seem to wuss out once they get within 5 car-lengths. Or they do their best to stay ahead and not slow down for that stale green or yellow stoplight, to avoid being lined up. Is the car THAT intimidating, or is it just my imagination? Does that happen to you guys all the time, too? :LOL:

Most times I drive it "like I stole it". :D

Damn, 'treed by Robzombie.

Last edited:
Sometimes when I'm bored I'll just take it out and go for a nice 45 minute cruise down some backroads and open it up on some nice stretches where you know you won't get pulled over. Then hop on the highway and take it back home. I like to get on it but am super paranoid about getting a ticket lol. :woot: I have taken it out for errands and what not but get paranoid leaving it alone. I will say I never expected so much attention driving it. They amount of people who pull up next to you and ask about it is unreal. Most know what it is, I have had a few call it a GNX though. ( I wish );)

It has to be a perfectly sunny day with almost no chance of rain; I have T-Top and B-pillar weatherstrip seal issues and don't want to get any water in the car. I even have to wash it carefully; until I replace the weatherstripping, no pressure washing! But I definitely enjoy driving it...get lots of looks, and a surprising number of "kids" under 25 years of age who actually know what it is. (To their credit, I haven't had the "Nice 'Carlo" comments in a good long time.)

Back in the day, it seemed we were racing somebody off stoplights all the time...now, it's practically impossible to find a dance partner. I used to remember guys swooping up from behind to get beside me, and the next stoplight, it was on. Now, is it just my imagination, but every time I see someone coming up aggressively in the rear-view mirror, they seem to wuss out once they get within 5 car-lengths. Or they do their best to stay ahead and not slow down for that stale green or yellow stoplight, to avoid being lined up. Is the car THAT intimidating, or is it just my imagination? Does that happen to you guys all the time, too? :LOL:
One trick I learned from kirbans grand news mailings in the 90's is to park it on an incline when washing it so the hood is higher than the trunk wich would help the car shed water from the t tops..
I was at rc's the days prior to the tb.com national event, first guy that pulled up in a camper was telling us his rear floor was rotted out in his ttop car, was mystified always garaged good weather only car yet had rot I asked him if he washed it often & he did..

View attachment 288006 A few weeks ago i drove mine headon into dump truck pulling a backhoe,guess who won that battle

That make me sick to look at.....very glad you're alright, very sad you wrecked your pride and joy. Awful. If that were my GN, I'd be on the railroad tracks with my belongings on a stick.....I couldn't bear to even look at it. I sure do feel bad for you, real bad.

Again, it pains me to see this, but again, you weren't injured badly.....that's what counts in this world.

Best of luck repairing your GN.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I sit in mine and make motor noises since it is on jack stands in the garage waiting on me to have the time, money and energy to start working on again. Two girls playing select soccer and one playing high school soccer, plus cross country, plus track keeps me in the road and the bank account drained (not counting the girly stuff, :kiss::p:rolleyes::D), but I wouldn't have it any other way. But I will say the current Ratty Muscle Car movement has perked my interest in getting the GN back on the road without being all spruced up, so there is hope!;)

I'm in the same situation as you....."jack stands, motor noises." I've got the money now, but no motivation....too damn hot in the garage all summer....too many things I've been fixing, repairing, doing things around the house and garage to keep my sweetheart happy.....way too much...just installed outside security lights today, then putting in a new dryer vent, all in a lot of damn pain....oh, I forgot, lots of tree limbs have to be trimmed back.....just removed old toilets in the house, put in two news ones...installed new pipes, valves, etc.........of course, I busted one by accident....what I'm famous for.....had to go get another one.....no royal flush there............I've finally finished completely restoring the whole interior of my GN, looks brand new....but.....suspension parts, motor additions, wheel updates, braces to be added, front end now needs rebuilding....If I'd get off my procrastinating butt, I'd get it to a suspension shop, but, first have to drop the gas tank, clean it, this, that, whine, whine.....whatever. I'll be 100 years old by the time I get it going again.....:(

My Vette is up on jackstands, too.....putting in new timing chain, one piece oil pan gasket, rear main seal, water pump, new long tube heads, harmonic balancer, clutch linkages, etc., modifying the side pipes, finally finished repairing and replacing the side exhaust covers, both sides, but did finish putting on a new stainless steel luggage rack.....wow, isn't that something? Whoopie. So much more to do, so little time....I need to subtract about 20 years off my age.....my wife "did" mention that she wants me now to get a 10,000 lb auto lift! I was shocked! A WIFE suggesting that? Most guys (including me years ago) have to SCREAM to get an auto lift......only problem is, even though I have room for a nice one, I can't lift all the parts.....neighbors around here are about 100 years old.

Just had another serious fall yesterday out on the asphalt road....just about killed me....I've now aggravated all the pain on my right side 110%.....can barely walk a straight line.....look like Chester on Gunsmoke. Third bad fall this year, each time it hurts more and the pain seems to last longer! I just absolutely HATE getting old! I'm hurting like a sob!

Looks like I won't be able to try out for the Redskins next week......

I sure miss driving my black rocket! Hell of a lot! So, back to "motor noises." But with pain pills.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I'm in the same situation as you....."jack stands, motor noises." I've got the money now, but no motivation....too damn hot in the garage all summer....too many things I've been fixing, repairing, doing things around the house and garage to keep my sweetheart happy.....way too much...just installed outside security lights today, then putting in a new dryer vent, all in a lot of damn pain....oh, I forgot, lots of tree limbs have to be trimmed back.....just removed old toilets in the house, put in two news ones...installed new pipes, valves, etc.........of course, I busted one by accident....what I'm famous for.....had to go get another one.....no royal flush there............I've finally finished completely restoring the whole interior of my GN, looks brand new....but.....suspension parts, motor additions, wheel updates, braces to be added, front end now needs rebuilding....If I'd get off my procrastinating butt, I'd get it to a suspension shop, but, first have to drop the gas tank, clean it, this, that, whine, whine.....whatever. I'll be 100 years old by the time I get it going again.....:(

My Vette is up on jackstands, too.....putting in new timing chain, one piece oil pan gasket, rear main seal, water pump, new long tube heads, harmonic balancer, clutch linkages, etc., modifying the side pipes, finally finished repairing and replacing the side exhaust covers, both sides, but did finish putting on a new stainless steel luggage rack.....wow, isn't that something? Whoopie. So much more to do, so little time....I need to subtract about 20 years off my age.....my wife "did" mention that she wants me now to get a 10,000 lb auto lift! I was shocked! A WIFE suggesting that? Most guys (including me years ago) have to SCREAM to get an auto lift......only problem is, even though I have room for a nice one, I can't lift all the parts.....neighbors around here are about 100 years old.

Just had another serious fall yesterday out on the asphalt road....just about killed me....I've now aggravated all the pain on my right side 110%.....can barely walk a straight line.....look like Chester on Gunsmoke. Third bad fall this year, each time it hurts more and the pain seems to last longer! I just absolutely HATE getting old! I'm hurting like a sob!

I sure miss driving my black rocket! Hell of a lot! So, back to "motor noises." But with pain pills.

Bruce '87 Grand National
download (3).jpg

Bruce '87 Grand National

I'm with you, Bruce. Getting old and dealing with orthopedic pain is no fun. I feel it too. But you sound like you are one hell of a man to do the things you do despite pain. Keeps me from doing things too. I don't have the "chutzpah "( old Yiddish term for kahunas, balls, courage etc.) that you do and for that you definitely have my respect. . My 87 yo mom gets upset because she can't do the things she used to do when she was 60. It's like" Really, mom?" I have to tell her she still walks -- albeit slowly-- without a walker, does crossword and other puzzles, and is a wealth of life-learned good advice.
But I drive mine on no-rain days, don't drive it when it's hotter than "blue blazes" , and love when it chirps the tires in second gear. With regard to the ".. No dance partners" comment, you should come and pay me a visit in my hometown. Lots of doofuses around here ( doofi?) in various "hot rods" looking for a "duel".
Take care , Bruce.

Last edited:
highway cruises,local cruises,raced all the time,plenty of car shows.these cars are a lot of fun(y)

I haven't been looking for targets to race against, but nobody has 'provoked' me either. I am still early in the process of modernizing my car since most of the mods were circa 2003. They were great at the time but she hasn't be pitted against anything modern so I am kind of glad the opportunities aren't plentiful. My ego would cause me to empty my savings in one foul swoop rather than the steady trickle she has been taking from me if i were to lose (haha). I will say that I have met more Hellcat owners at cruise nights and they always wanna know what I got and what I can run. Seems like they are always gunning for a GN kill, but maybe they do that to everyone.

I too have been seriously amazed at the kids under 25 that know about our cars. I can't quite put my finger on why it surprised me so much. I mean I think it's really cool, but I can't figure out the source. I mean i meet people who lived and were grown up in in the 80's and don't know what they heck the car is an don't even look twice.

Mustangs, Camaros/Firebirds, Corvettes, GTO, Challengers, all have a long history. Find a brand and pick your year (obviously GTO/Challenger had a hiatus). I rarely see our Buicks at cruise nights, and are even more rare on the road. There isn't really an iconic movie that featured them (Though I suppose there was that scene in FF5) so how the heck these kids know about them, and get excited to see them is pretty damn kewl to me. I am usual 'extra' courteous when I see a young person who knows about the cars (unless they look like punks haha). The way I figure it, getting the younger generation hooked on the cars keeps the market going and helps ensure they don't truly go extinct.

One thing I look forward to, is pretty much at every cruise night i Have been too, inevitably there is already a little kid, like under 10 years old, and they always go 'Ooooo look at that Black one, what's that one?'. I grin every time.

God I love our cars.

I feel the same way, dial tone. I take extra time to talk / answer questions when I see a 20 something kid take an interest in the GN . Kinda like me when I was a 20 something looking at a hot rod tri-five . And , yes, my cruise in I frequent is always absent of TB's .... Except for me. And she always draws a crowd around her.
A few weeks back, as I was *slowly* pulling out of my spot at the cruise in, windows down, radio off, I could hear comments being made as I was rolling by , like " Hey .....LOOK at that GN. Man that's a beast", or a man talking to his teen son ," Now, that is *classic* muscle--- the kind I like". Made me pretty proud. Yupper, these cars a definitely kewl.