How did(or didn't) convince your wife or how can I convince mine?

I had my first TR in the early 90's. It was stolen while I was stationed in Korea. It was all I ever talked about.
I met my wife and told her about it but she just thought it was just another car. So, I took her for a test drive in one and let her drive.
After we went sideways she was convinced!

A few years later she encouraged me to by my GN. To include her in the hobby I bought her a ttype and we'd even take two cars out to the cruises and shows.
After crushing a few vettes and seeing the power of the Darkside she was convinced. The next car was a KB supercharged SUV- no arguments or explanations necessary!)

The last car we purchased was for her. A WRX wagon. After a week of driving it she gave it to me and asked me to make it faster! (Now, it's much faster) :eek:
You just need to let them discover the need for speed on their own. Once they do, you'll be golden.

Good luck OP!!

Tell her it will be worth the same if not MORE forever. Buying a real muscle car is basically like buying guns and ammo....you get to save and play with your money at the same time. Not like buying a new truck for 50k for it to be worth 11 in 5 years

And as most have said....unless she is truly just not a car girl let her drive it!!! Six years ago my ex literally cried that i sold all 3 of my turbo eclipses for some, "Ugly ass beater". I took her down our main car cruise road one saturday night...needless to say after dominating every car that tried to play with me and leading a pack of 20+ cars she felt like a celebrity and all the sudden had a change of heart <3

Send her to my house. Ill convince her.....

(Too much?......hahaha ;-) )

In all honestly my wife knew I always wanted one and when I sold my motorcycle she knew my previous baby was gone due to our newborn son. I wa in the process of looking at a 2010 Taurus SHO as a new daily driver and ended up with an 09 Acura TSX after talking with the wife. Although its a nice car, doesn't give me that rush I look for when I hit the gas occasionally.

So a year later the opportunity has come up to get an 87 turbo t for a great price and I got her on board by throwing the baby seat in the back, having her drive, and letting her understand that car shows and cruising can be a family occasion. Although she still doesn't see the "beauty" in the car (visually she says I looks like a box), she knows how much I've obsessed over one, that we can easily afford it, and it will make ME happy. That was enough for her to get on board.

Good luck. If you have to work very hard to convince her, she will always hold it over your head, so be weary of that fine line between talking about it and begging.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

These are all good responses and seemed honest.

Well, We bought one!

She wants to drive it but she wants me to pull it out of the garage and out of the driveway.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1373807881.948237.jpg

I will let you know what her response is.

Well done! Looks nice. Post some more pics and let us know how the convo with her went!

I so happy for ya!! Give it a couple days before ya buy some parts. Trust me...

What I don't understand is you been a member of this board for 8 years and it took you this long to finally do it.

By the way you just bought the car and it looks like by the picture you posted that your golf clubs are resting on it already.

What I don't understand is you been a member of this board for 8 years and it took you this long to finally do it.

By the way you just bought the car and it looks like by the picture you posted that your golf clubs are resting on it already.

Vader. Unfortunately family comes first and no the clubs were never against the car
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1373828947.423964.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1373828961.936133.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1373828990.452492.jpg

My God! It's beautiful! Makes mine look like a "barn find." Good things comes to all that wait, and looks like your patience paid off.......absolutely beautiful.......I'm so happy for you! Good job!

Of course, let your wife drive it! She'll fall in love with it.....trust me.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Now be prepared for her sharp comments, like the other day when my wife said, "Did you see all of those charges on the credit card bill to G Body Parts and Highway Stars?" And I said, Yeah, I saw em." Or when she says, "I see you got YET ANOTHER package from Kirbans. I knew this car would be a money pit!" And at least once a month she quips, "This car is the gift that keeps on taking." Of course, she is from Pennsylvania, and they are painfully blunt spoken there.

Thanks Bruce!

Now I need to fix the dreaded speakers as they are all blown or sound like it :D

"She is just extremely cautious with finances" then you aint gettin noooo GN.... A minivan yes, a GN no! If it's not "practical" then forget about it. Maybe in your next life. Or you can by a GN and then you won't have to worry about being married. These things are money pits. This is my second one and when I'm finished with this one I'll have over 70k in it. It's like an addiction, once you buy one and do some work to it you're hooked. And let me tell you it's never finished. You'd be better off with a smack habit. Good luck, though.

"If you can afford it with out putting the family in a bind then tell her you need a hobby." That's great! A hobby..... Ahh, funny.... She'll tell you that you already have one and it's called a wife and kids and if that doesn't satisfy you then she'll tell you to join a book club. Marriage + GN = Divorce. Sometimes it's not always about money. I know some wealthy people who have it to throw away, but they know the minute they do the marriage is over. Women know that for a man it's about reliving their youth and women don't like that. Most women are afraid of that. Most women get assed up if you start dressing nicer, wear cologne or start working out. They'll say why are you doing that.

"If you can afford it with out putting the family in a bind then tell her you need a hobby." That's great! A hobby..... Ahh, funny.... She'll tell you that you already have one and it's called a wife and kids and if that doesn't satisfy you then she'll tell you to join a book club. Marriage + GN = Divorce. Sometimes it's not always about money. I know some wealthy people who have it to throw away, but they know the minute they do the marriage is over. Women know that for a man it's about reliving their youth and women don't like that. Most women are afraid of that. Most women get assed up if you start dressing nicer, wear cologne or start working out. They'll say why are you doing that.
Thanks for the life lessons. Can we enjoy my car now??