How did(or didn't) convince your wife or how can I convince mine?

My wife wants a newer VW Bug with a turbo and she wants it to be Black and convertible. So I am pushing for a new garage so we can have the extra room in the garage wink wink! Always have an angle. I saved up tax checks until I could pay cash for mine. It doesn't hurt that I normally get 10k back every year.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have successfully managed to avoid marriage for the first 40 years of my life, so I can't comment directly on "what I told my wife". I remember fondly having that conversation in the car with my male work colleagues, you know the "how many kids do you have?" conversation. I told them I had six - three cars, two jet skis, and a deck boat. Funny how much they enjoyed that.

However, I've been on the receiving end of many a woman's comments about their husbands/boyfriends, so I would offer this...

Of course, if the finances are going to be strained, she's not going to like it. This is pretty much unavoidable. Would you like it if she bought something that costs tens of thousands of dollars that was primarily for her benefit? If she happens to be a big shopper, you might be able to remind her about the money she has spent there. I've told girlfriends in the past, "you can view my tool and car part collections the same way I view your clothes and shoe collections". I've had moderate success with that. I suspect that GN prices are near the bottom of their "value curve", so if you buy a car and keep it nice, it should at least maintain if not go up in value.

What I think is a bigger concern for them is the time your car will take away from them and the kids. If they have it in their head that the car will result in you spending many hours alone in the garage, they will not support it. However, if you can show them that the car is an opportunity for you to do more interesting things together (car cruises, taking the kids for ice cream, etc.), you might have a chance of getting them to support buying the car.

It's a tough sell, even with the above arguments. Maybe you can hot-rod that minivan... A lot of it depends on the woman and what she assumed she was getting when she married you, and what her expectations are now that the kids are around.

Good Luck!

Update: wife says, she doesn't agree if it causes a financial strain...

She is correct..........if a toy is going to cause a financial burden at this time..pass on it.
U can still be part of this community find some locals with one. Read and research. Then when time changes you will be a head of the game. Good luck and family first..after all its just stuff.

Mike,

I would like to make sure the kids and family enjoy the vehicle. If it strains the family or finances, the car goes, family is more important.

She did bring up the selfish thing about spending $1000s of dollars on a toy, and what if she wanted to do that?
I said I would want to discuss it like we are doing now...

I didn't mentioned the $5k in Mary Kay crap she wanted and we bought so she can be a rep, that we lost $4,900 on that ended being written off.

She is very open and honest and wants to mke me happy, but I wanted to make sure she is involved in the process

Do some reading it very well could cause some financial strain. :eek:

Save up and pay cash it's the only way to do toys, and 'cheap' $10K fast daily drivers. ;)

Mine just told me to get one cause I would not shut up until I had one. The only is now is parts that is all I ever want for any gift or extra cash hee! Hee! I had one before her but I sold it. Cry cry! So she knew I wanted a g n!! I just looked and looked and looked finally she said buy one. Only thing is it took me about a year and a half to get one that I could afford or get her consent????:):);)

Mine just told me to get one cause I would not shut up until I had one. The only is now is parts that is all I ever want for any gift or extra cash hee! Hee! I had one before her but I sold it. Cry cry! So she knew I wanted a g n!! I just looked and looked and looked finally she said buy one. Only thing is it took me about a year and a half to get one that I could afford or get her consent????:):);)

Wow that sounds so familiar. Are you married to my wife too! She says I have an obsession. I just say I am addicted to my hobby. At least I'm not going to bars and chasing women. There are worse things out there than playing with my car.

I told the wife in needed Alky to get better MPG's but she knew better!

Now she says that hunk of junk is taking up the carport!! Sorry I say.but a guess I can't blame her I have spent 10k on the Damn thing in the last year and a half and has not moved especially win I pulled a perfect motor out for no reason but to go fast. But u got to love them both!! :(

We bought all these new stainless steel appliances, mind you , I like 'em, but she LOVES 'em!:D
Whenever I leave a mess or get a little ham-fisted she reminds me that these are like "her Grand National"...
Point made!:eek: (see, they do get it)
Don't pitch it or see it as getting it for you, you're getting it for the family
it is functional, after all
It can be a big decision $$ wise, but it is a lot cheaper than a disposable econo-box
BUT
Bottom line:
"Happy wife-Happy life"

Do_O

Wow that sounds so familiar. Are you married to my wife too! She says I have an obsession. I just say I am addicted to my hobby. At least I'm not going to bars and chasing women. There are worse things out there than playing with my car.

I told the wife in needed Alky to get better MPG's but she knew better!

This can be a catch 22 for alot of women.... my ex wife was one of them.

She never had a problem with me running around out in bars... doing what ever i wanted... never batted an eye..... I got into to buicks, stayed home, worked in the garage non-stop (no kids back then) and she flipped her lid. when we finally divorced in court i asked her why she had a problem with the cars...

her answer? She could handle some fling with a bar slut if i had one, being im was a sailor she kind of anticipated that... but she felt she could never compete with my "love" in the Garage. So she divorced me over the cars...

I was Shocked.. Still am to this day.....

Holy shit!! The thing is my wife likes dirt track racing she will not go to the strip with me but dirt ya I don't understand that but I do but her and her mother took pic at the races and they like it so o well! I did buy here some porch furniture the other day and a smoker so now I need some more parts. Hee hee its called marriage. Maybe win my boys get bigger and like cars she will come around.

her answer? She could handle some fling with a bar slut if i had one, being im was a sailor she kind of anticipated that... but she felt she could never compete with my "love" in the Garage. So she divorced me over the cars...

I was Shocked.. Still am to this day.....

That, in four sentences, is why I'm not married. I've heard many illogical comments from the fairer sex, but wow. Really, wow.

I am an engineer by degree, a logical thinker. If a woman to whom I'd made vows made a statement like that to me, my head would explode on the spot.

Sorry that happened to you. Really.

So, how's that GN purchase looking?

Start a Buick based performance company. Buy the car as a tax write off . Invest in your business and make the car faster. I know I'm right!

Just point out what you paid for her engagement ring and her jewelry over the years and say it's your turn for something you really want.

Sometimes you just need to man up to get what you want, if you can afford it without any hardships to your family.

If you can afford it with out putting the family in a bind then tell her you need a hobby. You will make new friends and be busy learning and working on your car so you will be around the house too. Better than out at the strip club. That's what I tell my wife. She's pretty understanding but lately she's worried about retirement money so I have to be careful what shows up at the door by UPS.

If you can afford it with out putting the family in a bind then tell her you need a hobby. You will make new friends and be busy learning and working on your car so you will be around the house too. Better than out at the strip club. That's what I tell my wife. She's pretty understanding but lately she's worried about retirement money so I have to be careful what shows up at the door by UPS.

Have it shipped to my house Pronto :D. Ill just keep it hidden for you.. Under my hood..