"Hot Air's"Tons of Mods....No ET's WTH?

84T-typeMike

Yes I am Crazy
I noticed there are ALOT of people with TONS of mods done to their Hot Air but NOBODY puts their ET's in their SIG?Well..... a few people do,but you could probably count them on 2 fingers,one hand for sure!Are the Hot Air cars STILL THAT SLOW with all the Mods you can think of?Just curious?Not trying to frost anyone's balls either. :confused:

I haven't made it to the track in 3 years. My old combo ran well but people called BS every time I went to the track and everytime I had a good street race. I got tired of arguing with people who weren't there telling me I didn't run what I ran just because it's a hotair. I ran 12s in pure street trim, pump gas, street tire, and through the catalytic convertor 4 years ago.

In street trim (av gas, 18psi) with the new setup, I've outrun 3 supercharged Mustangs, one being an 03 Cobra, a Viper, and 2 R6s from a roll. But still no track times. I have a race set up with a SLR Mercedes and started turning the boost up but the trans broke at 22psi. I'm going to try and get some times in the same tune as when I race the Mercedes once it's running again.

The times you are showing are correct. The stock 84/85 from the factory will run a 15 sec quarter. Making the fuel pump, fuel pressure reg, headers, hot wire kit, chip change, rad change will only get you to plus or minus the 14 sec quarter mile time. This is where a hot air hits the wall. IMO the cost of making a hot air go faster is not worth the benefits. The above post has an intercooler which renders his car not a hot air by definition. This is the point where you wish you had an 86/87. I have an 85GN with essentially the same mods. I found an 87GN for sale near me which was for sale at $14,000. The car was totally moded and in great shape. I drove this car and was stuned and amazed at the performance it had. This car would spin the sticky yokahoma tires easily. This is where the hot air hits the wall unless you spend a fortune which has to include an intercooler/alky or nitrous and eliminate the crappy hot air intake.
My thoughts about porting my intake and adding a TA33 turbo are gone. I will either leave the car as is or spend the money converting the whole setup to the 86/87. Just my opinion. Brad

my cars not legal to run at the track , sorry maybe I 'll get the rear axle studs I need, a neutral saftey switch and a reverse lockout mech. Oh yeah , since its a t top , a cage too.....

hotairs shouldnt hit a "wall" at the 14 sec range. there are people who have gone well into the 13s on the stock turbo. alls it takes is traction, opening up the exhaust, some good gas, and upped boost

when i get my car back on the road, im expecting mid 13s or so out of it with relatively little done to it (see sig for mod list). the problem i see with most hotair owners, is that they ignore the need for higher octane. they dump 93 in the tank, and wonder why their cars are so slow. because of the hotter intake charge, we need more octane to quench detonation. some 100 octane will allow you to get 15/16psi out of these cars without knock. with 93, youre only good for around 10-12psi

alky is not expensive (it costs the same for a intercooled car as our hotairs). its around 400-500 for Razors complete kit. then you can run 93 octane, and when the need arises, the alky will allow you to run that same 16psi without the expensive higher octane gas

anyway, as soon as my car is repaired and tuned, ill be hitting the strip for some #s. the air should be great this time of year and ill be expecting some good results. when this happens ill be sure to post my times

There's a lot of mis information here. I'll say again, my dad's hotair with a chip, filter, and boost turned up on 92 octane and street tire went 14.0@100mph. Mine went 13.9@101mph with just an intercooler and filter on pump gas. Hotairs do not hit a wall at 14.0. I went 105-6mph on the stock turbo and intake. That would be bottom 13s to high 12s on decent tires.

I chose 18psi as my street trim because on drag radials I have traction issues in the first two gears and sometimes the bottom of third. There's no reason to go higher until I get it to the track with slicks. Judging by the cars and bikes I've beat lately, this thing should run 11s in daily driver trim and a bit faster in race mode.

My car is at the wall and TPVETTE idea of progressive alcohal(sp) makes alot of sense. I am going to order one tomorrow. Also, a car with and after market intercooler is no longer is a hot air. Thanks- brad

I happen to own 2 Hot Airs and could not be any happier. Thanks to all the misinformation out here and people just not having enough patience to see what works and what doe'snt I have owned 4 of them because people get discouraged and let them go real cheap.

T Type #1 stock long block, turbo, Poston passenger side header, 204-214 cam, 36lb injectors, 13.5 @ 101mph (20 psi with 100 octane) on street tires 1.9xx 60ft.

T Type #2 stock long block, Poston headers, atr down pipe, lunati 200-200 cam, 42lb injectors, ta60 p-trim stuffed in a hot air housing, 10" 3000 stall converter. 13.3 @ 104mph (24psi 110 octane) street tires 2.2xx 60ft.

Both with street chips on street tires, car #2 was pulling hard with no kr, shure I could have hit 12's easy with some good tires and more time @ the track to do a little more tuning. Car #2 has since been stolen. Car #1 now has alky but can't get the trans acting right.

These cars can run it just takes a special breed to bring out the best in them. Although there is a night and day difference in the performance of the intercooled cars it is mainly because of the intake and the boost pressure being forced to the positive side of the intake.

Also as a side note I can run 14.0s on pump gas easy, 16-18 psi on 93 with 1-6 KR on shifts. Just have to run a little on the rich side.

BRAD_PADGETT said:
My car is at the wall and TPVETTE idea of progressive alcohal(sp) makes alot of sense. I am going to order one tomorrow. Also, a car with and after market intercooler is no longer is a hot air. Thanks- brad

Thanks for the opinion. Sorry, I wanted to be competitive in the racing scene. Some mods are kind of hard to pass up and considering I ran more mph in street trim with the old combo 4 years ago than 80% run in race trim today, I'd say it's worthwhile.