How fast is your Hot Air...with what mods??

Don't know how to PM. adjusted shiftpoints, things seem to be working real good now. Gonna cruise it this weekend. Wanted too take you up on your offer. Available?

Click on the persons name and a box will pop up with info. You can PM from there.:biggrin:

thanks for the links jerryl. those where recent too. i wish i had more time to visit here more often. i was originally thinking of doing up to 4 nozzles in the intake, but the more i read, and been talking to local turbo guy, i'm thinking the best method for our setup is the nozzle pre-turbo. i got more i can post on this when i get time, maybe somebody thats tried it this way before (with our setup, not ic'd), can chime in

thanks for the links jerryl. those where recent too. i wish i had more time to visit here more often. i was originally thinking of doing up to 4 nozzles in the intake, but the more i read, and been talking to local turbo guy, i'm thinking the best method for our setup is the nozzle pre-turbo. i got more i can post on this when i get time, maybe somebody thats tried it this way before (with our setup, not ic'd), can chime in

ANOTHER ONE SEES THE LIGHT!!!:eek: LOL Like I said, we tried to hash this out in the B4Black section and it turned out it was best to do a pre-turbo injection system which will give the most cooling and atomization of the alky.:biggrin:

so the question would be. point the nozzle straight at the compressor and let it eat or put a m1 or so as close to the airfilter as possible.

i would think close to the air filter because it will full atomiz and thus get great cooling and prevent impeller damage

so the question would be. point the nozzle straight at the compressor and let it eat or put a m1 or so as close to the airfilter as possible.

i would think close to the air filter because it will full atomiz and thus get great cooling and prevent impeller damage

At least someone is getting the idea. Smokey knew what he was doing guys. If you're to young to know who Smokey Yunik was do a search please. He made a 2.5 L Fiero that got 50 MPG and 250 HP with a draw through carb set up. The idea was to use the turbo to "homoginize" the mixture so it would burn cleaner and make tons of power.

maybe if i get bored or tired of my setup i would try it. for now i will stick with what i have. maybe i will try it on my 87 motor whenever i find a car for it.

as soon as I get the hot air back on the road, running proper, then i will mod the poop out of it with the spray, and all the fun stuff... right now, I just want mine running!!! Alky kits are like 500+ new for decent ones... T33c is a grand new, 3" sp is another 600!!! I still havent even touched the suspension or tuning!!!!!!! It'll be a while before I reach my goals, but Im thinking in the near future, an 87 parking in teh driveway next to the hot air for fun!!! hahahaha... It's just cheaper to drive!!! hahahahahaha

I cant wait till this bad boy is running!!!!

John;)

lol, i was unaware of the before black thread charlief1. i did have a carb/turbo setup on my old ttype though. put alot of work into that car and was running mid-13's till i burnt a hole in a piston.

i'm not sure about alky pre-turbo on ic'd cars due to the intercooler after the turbo. but with the turbo shooting directly into the intake on our cars, i would think alky pre-turbo would get the best bang for your buck out of the turbo (at least from what i've gathered so far)

as far as blade erosion, i put over 80,000 miles on my carbed t after putting in new motor and rebuilt turbo at same time. i burned everything from crap gas to 116 (depending on what i could afford), and also put alot of nitrous (nozzle pre-turbo) through that turbo,... and the compressor blades looked just as new the day i installed it. i remember pulling the carb plenum the day i sold it so the pita new owner could inspect the wheel. i've got alot of pics of that car i may put up in the b4black section someday. was kinda unique looking with the holley carb i was running.

i agree with boost23 that a good ported one should make 10's seeing with some of the results others have made. (can't remember what lee thompson was using though). but like these guys http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ho...-tech/103188-new-hotair-intakes-underway.html , seems the intake is the biggest hangup now that we have the alky option.

i really like the work this guy did grandnat84's photos and albums on webshots i wonder if anybodys ever went in from the bottom though :confused:
at any rate, there is a ton of reading to be done in this section concerning our intakes:redface:

lol, i was unaware of the before black thread charlief1. i did have a carb/turbo setup on my old ttype though. put alot of work into that car and was running mid-13's till i burnt a hole in a piston.

i'm not sure about alky pre-turbo on ic'd cars due to the intercooler after the turbo. but with the turbo shooting directly into the intake on our cars, i would think alky pre-turbo would get the best bang for your buck out of the turbo (at least from what i've gathered so far)

as far as blade erosion, i put over 80,000 miles on my carbed t after putting in new motor and rebuilt turbo at same time. i burned everything from crap gas to 116 (depending on what i could afford), and also put alot of nitrous (nozzle pre-turbo) through that turbo,... and the compressor blades looked just as new the day i installed it. i remember pulling the carb plenum the day i sold it so the pita new owner could inspect the wheel. i've got alot of pics of that car i may put up in the b4black section someday. was kinda unique looking with the holley carb i was running.

i agree with boost23 that a good ported one should make 10's seeing with some of the results others have made. (can't remember what lee thompson was using though). but like these guys http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ho...-tech/103188-new-hotair-intakes-underway.html , seems the intake is the biggest hangup now that we have the alky option.

i really like the work this guy did grandnat84's photos and albums on webshots i wonder if anybodys ever went in from the bottom though :confused:
at any rate, there is a ton of reading to be done in this section concerning our intakes:redface:

LOL The B4Black section is like this one guys. We deal in theory as well as BS.:biggrin: You need to look more often at what goes on in there. You've proven one of the myths is just that so I thank you. The errosion factor on the blades is minimal at the very least and the boost level will be higher if the alky is blended in the turbo.:eek::biggrin:

well, update for me. i made another post about my times. i would have run a 10 but it looks like i need new wires ,Coil Pack, and Ignition Control Module. anyone have links?

How fast is my Hot air

Here is a question that has been posed over and over and over countless times on this board. And just like everytime before you will get replys all around the answer but never the answer you inquired about. To date and to the best of my knowledge there have only been 2 true hot airs make it into the 10's one with a stage motor (Lee Thompson) and one on a stock block (Jamie aka turbo6x2). There are or have been quite a few that have made it into the 11's and even more into the 12's. Again I'm talking about true hot air trim no intercooler. The only person that still frequents this board that is in the 11's is Brent (boost231).

Some have spent big dollars and some have spent hardly anything. There is one cardinal rule in racing and that is that more speed, more money, at least theoretically. But it's not exactly how much money you spend, its where you put the money you spend. Many on this board like throwing signatures around, doing tons of research and talking about the capabilty of whatever a combo should do. But very few can tell you what you need and desire to know. And the reason is because of another rule in racing.......dyno's don't run the quarter. Combo's don't run the quarter and data logs damn sure don't run the quarter.

So with all that said the only ones that can answer your questions are the people who do the real R&D. The ones that actually run their combo's. So without further ado here are my answers. In terms of cost with the exception of any machine work all labor was done by myself.

Question (1). The fastest time I have run to date is 12.10@115 I didn't have good rubber and my car makes tremendous torque so my 60ft times suck. But I assure you that trap speed is 11.6-11.8 capable. I run 12.2xx's all day long on 20psi.

Question (2) Fast for me really depends on your combo. If you have a bone stock hot air and run low 13's all day I'll say that's quick. But at the same time if you got 4-5 g's worth of speed parts on your car and only running 13's your slow as crap because your not maximizing what you've got.
So speed is relative to what you've gotten invested in your combo.

Question (3) Is a matter of opinion expensive to me is not expensive to someone else. I personally like to make horsepower on the cheap so i buy used parts when I can to cut the cost and learn how to do alot of work on my own to save labor costs.

Ok enough rambling here is my combo and expenses.

TA62 turbo- 750.00 bought new from a member on this board and paid 25.00 to modify the outlet.
ATR header passenger side- 175.00 used
Crane cam 218-224 - 40.00 ebay new
Lifters- 40.00 new
Venolia forged pistons- 280.00 new
Ported Iron heads- 500.00 used
Ported throttle body- 125.00 new
57 lb injectors- 150.00 used
Corvette Maf sensor- 50.00 ebay
Maf translator Gen II- 260.00 (I think) full throttle
Do it yourself alky kit- 150.00
Pro Torque 3000 stall converter- 300.00 used and got checked out for free
Lee Thompson 3" downpipe- 300.00 ebay new
38mm Deltagate 150.00- ebay new

There is probably another 5-600.00 dollars in there on other stuff like elect fans, 87 ecm and chip, oil / trans coolers and etc. But as you can see not much in terms of dollars at all.

Hope I answered some of your questions and cleared up the misconception that it takes alot to make a hot air run. Yeah it does take alot, alot of time at the track to max out your combo. I think I am capable of running at least 11.20's and I'm not going to add another part to my combo until I get to 11.50's consistantly.
Send me a link for the 3 inch downpipe that's $300

Send me a link for the 3 inch downpipe that's $300

Dude, honestly. Do you see how old this post is? I caught a deal on eBay years ago. There ma be some deals out there but you have to look around.
Even so, with inflation and the rareness of Hot Air performance parts I doubt you could find one for that price now. Many members that may have
had a spare one laying around have sold out and long moved on. Keep looking you may get lucky.

Dude, honestly. Do you see how old this post is? I caught a deal on eBay years ago. There ma be some deals out there but you have to look around.
Even so, with inflation and the rareness of Hot Air performance parts I doubt you could find one for that price now. Many members that may have
had a spare one laying around have sold out and long moved on. Keep looking you may get lucky.
Hey Bud whats up. Haven't heard from you in a long time. I was out yesterday 11.20 @ 120+ with a 7.07 1/8 mile et. The last 5 or 6 times I've ran 11.20 & 11.21 @119+ s. SEE YA! jOHN

John, good to see you still at it. These 11.20/11.21 were on a soft tune? I know you were is breaking your new combo in. How much boost were you pulling on runs? I think she will give you 10's soon :)

John, good to see you still at it. These 11.20/11.21 were on a soft tune? I know you were is breaking your new combo in. How much boost were you pulling on runs? I think she will give you 10's soon :)
Running 25+on those runs been having problems with my powerlogger not recording all the time got no idea whats going on. See YA! John

Hey Bud whats up. Haven't heard from you in a long time. I was out yesterday 11.20 @ 120+ with a 7.07 1/8 mile et. The last 5 or 6 times I've ran 11.20 & 11.21 @119+ s. SEE YA! jOHN

Hey John, if all goes well I'll be at Reynolds this week end. Car has been back together for a while now just haven't had time to run it since my last time out. Good cool weather here, should put up some good numbers. We'll see. I'm running a grudge match with your buddy Rob Earl in his supercharged Chrysler Crossfire. Should be fun.

I am itching to get another hot air to play around with E85. I went 12.5@106 back in 1998 with an all stock car (my 8 sec car now) down to the exhaust except for air cleaner, 160 stat, and custom chip burned by a friend.

Hey John, if all goes well I'll be at Reynolds this week end. Car has been back together for a while now just haven't had time to run it since my last time out. Good cool weather here, should put up some good numbers. We'll see. I'm running a grudge match with your buddy Rob Earl in his supercharged Chrysler Crossfire. Should be fun.
What does the crossfire run? Make sure you let me know what you run and what Rob runs in your grudge match. Going 10 's is hard to get. I've run 7.07 1/8 mile and seem to be stuck in the 11.19 or 11.20 @ 120+ even with suspension mods and launch mods can't seem to get over the hump. See ya! John

Talk about an old thread....old enough that I didn't even realize that I was the op....lol. Here's where I have gotten with my hot air car:
1/8 mile et 7.61 @ 89.7mph with a horrible 2.32 60' and a converter that's way too tight. Full weight t top car....17psi. I won't lie....I suck balls at launching a car...lol...this was my very first time at a track...ever. Needless to say, I think it has way more in it....