Freeway Fun

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
So my buddy and I decide to go to a local cruise-in at the Scottsdale Pavillions last night, he in his '64 Corvette fast back and me in my '87 TR.

I just had some upgrades done at Lou Czarnota's shop and this was my first real drive since bringing her back home. The weather has been pretty bad here the last few weeks, super hot, muggy and a chance of rain almost every day. Not ideal Turbo Regal weather by any stretch of the imagination. Well, we got a little break and it wasn't to gosh-awful hot and no rain in the forecast so, off we go.

We're cruising up State Route 51 at about 80 and we both used the HOV lane to merge onto the 101 East Bound. Naturally I slowed her down to about 65 to make the curve and scope out the new hi-way ahead as we merged onto it.

Traffic was really light so I ran her up to 80 and was just cruising along when I look in the rear veiw mirror and see a brand new Camaro coming up fast, really fast. It pulls up next to my buddy and tries to get him to bite. No go, he has a 5 speed Tremec with 4:11's and at 80, if he takes it out of overdrive he'll already be at 6K RPM.

So they set their sights on me.

They pull up next to me on the right and the driver turns out to be girl. I flip the A/C off, roll down the driver window (mine are crank windows) and back off a bit to see what she wants to do. She mimmicks my move so I figure now it's time to count it off. We back it down to 65 but she kept revving it, acting like she was gonna go without a count. I jumped on mine a little and put a half car on her to let her know I can play that game, too.

Her rider was a guy and when he leaned forward and held up three fingers, I nodded and made a honking gesture and pointed to her. She nodded so it was on. By this time we are at about 64th Street with a good 2 miles of straight road ahead and as I said, not too much traffic.

One......... two......... three and off we go. She never stood a chance, I put 3 cars on her almost immediatly, backed off and pulled into her lane. She took the hint and switched into the lane I had just changed out of and pulled back up. They wanted more.

Now the road makes a big sweep to southbound and there is a good 3 mile stretch of straight road 4 lanes wide plus an HOV lane, where she was. So we set it up for her honk it off again. One..... two..... three and WHAM! She hits the giggle gas and jumps out about a half car. I could see the grin on her face when she went by (I would've liked to see the surprised look on my face, too:eek:) but that was soon to change.

The 67/65 turbo that PTE just installed all ceramic internals in spooled up to 21lbs like I've never felt before and within 3 seconds that Camaro was, again, three car lengths behind and losing ground quickly. I took it up to about 110 and backed off. They stayed behind this time.

When exiting to go to the cruise-in I noticed they were behind me. Then they followed me in.

The parkng at this place is broken up by model year/era and in some cases car brand/model so I went to my designated area and got settled in.

I was talking with a 17 year old with a Hot Air car when she found me.:eek:

She was quite friendly,very attractive and it turned out her Camaro was a 2013 S/S with exhaust, cam, intake and head work done by Midway Performance Center straight off the showroom floor. The nitrous was installed pretty stealthly by a neighbor who is a street racer. She said hers is a "very low 11 second car".

She was having a really hard time grasping the fact she had just had her ass handed to her (twice) by a 25 year old tuna boat. :D The guy she was with didn't say a word, he just kept walking around the Buick checking things out and shaking his head.

My buddy went to the Mc. D's in the parking lot and grabbed us all some Cokes and we sat around and BS'd for a while. She must have said "I can't believe how fast that car is. This only makes me want to go get more stuff done to my car" four times. When they left they both shook my hand, complimented the car once more and walked away in disbelief.

I didn't have the heart to tell her what would have happened if we had gone from a dig. :p:cool:

i need to find a girl like that! Nice kill!

Reading that gives me a tingly feeling inside!! Nice

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app