Hi pontiac 301T

hey,

well what can i say, lol:oops::rolleyes: just turned down the timing abit and no det. by far better runs coud run it up though 3rd gear ,and putting away till spring, this weekend

If you were further south then you could play with it longer.;) Maybe it's time to become a US citizen.:p

Just reading through this& thought I'd put in my thoughts. The 301 in any form, it's biggest problem is airflow. The cylinder heads and intake system with the weird intake ports is a real issue. My suggestion is use some regular pontiac heads and make your own single plane intake to fit which shouldn't be overly difficult. What I'd do is find a Edelbrock Torker for a pontiac & have the intake flanges milled off basically for it to fit the deck height. Of course you'd have to get some 5/16-3/8" aluminum plate to make some new flanges to be welded on. No matter what you do those intake ports on the 301 heads are stupid. If you really want to get it rolling, dump those heads, maybe even put some Edelbrock heads on it if you decide to make your own intake to fit.

Hey,
Been sleeping in the igloo, lol, just was reading about knock sensors and will this work on mine.?www.jandssafeguard.com/ which one? I have msd 6 btm and stock dizzy. non computer carb setup, pevr

thanks Kevin

hi guys,

ok the cars is out, i have a few things worked out and a few to work on.

the carb is sorted out,

the alky i am wondering if it is causing problems, i believe the system is over fueling the system,

also a problem is the timing, i want to know if the alky over fueling 50/50 water meth can create detonation or not?

I will work with that for now.

thanks Kevin

The alky by itself can cause detonation but usually with the 50/50 mix it doesn't happen Kevin. You might try cutting back on the amount of 50/50 that you're using and see if that helps.

Try running -20 washer fluid. I used that with plain gas chips and never caused problems. I think that's what rich uses also.

Hi guys,

finnally some time to get some time in the car today, it has been raining off and on for two weeks. So like last year my a/f was 10-1 as soon as i went wot, alky on. hmm.
Unpluged the alky, so it was off, and that solved the rich a/f , it was 12-1 a/f at 3/4 throttle maybe a bit more, didn't want to run it too hard without the alky on. It ran stronger without the alky on. No det. at 3/4 to 7/8 throttle. and timing is 24 * total 16lbs of boost
I am running 93 oct. 10% oxygenated fuel.

I am not sure why I had problems with my a/f last year being so rich, oh well. So all I have to do is get the alky reprogrammed.

later Kevin

Hi Guys,
I happen to try a run without the mbc that i made, I only made 5lbs with the wg just tight, wot and no det. hmm.

so went out tonight and tried it again and worked my way up to 13 turns on the adj wg tight, it made ony 8lbs wot all gears and no detonation and btm was at 0, timing is at 19 base and 29 full mech.

so my mbc is maybe screwing things up..? going to try and get my boost to 15lbs in a couple days

your thoughts

Kevin

hi Guys,

I found the mbc, the bolt that pushes on the spring had a leak on the threads, so i re teflon taped it for now untill i make a new and improved mbc.

now i can boost to 12psi and run 29* timing an 0 timing retard at wot. WOW this is running great now, nothing was this good last year and the other stock turbo ran 16lbs and this one 10lbs compared for power level . dyno seat.
grin.gif
and no det.

more to come Kevin

Hi Guys,

had the car out over the weekend then last night, like it said 12lbs boost 29* timing not timing retard and no det. turned the boost up to 14lbs had a little det so have to dial some timing out.

wow
grin.gif
it just didn't spin the tires at 30 mph in first gear it smoked them, I could smell rubber in the car when i slowed down after a quick wot.
cool.gif
One good thing about more power is I don't have to use so much water/ meth.

Also i was running rich at idle so leaned that out and it tightend up my converter on the low rpm end, it was very soft before.
cheesy.gif

later Kevin

Hey Guys,

Should have my J&S Vampire hopefully this week to install this weekend, I was wanting the universal but John said that this would work as well and a little cheaper. I didn't think it ws nessasary for these items for my application could be wrong though.

Yes, the Vampire does individual cylinder retard but doesn't have the rev limiters or cranking retard. John says.

later Kevin

That makes sense Kevin. It's basically like one of the stock units but faster then.;) I have a feeling that I'll be looking at the universal one though.

its nuthing like the stock one. thats like comparing apples and turds. not a total retard on timing... but precise dropped events for selected cylinders.

The universal one in my opinion is the ideal one. it provides all needed adjustability for all points in which timing and ignition can be controlled. which in my case, reduces the amount of electronics i have to package. The vampire is perfect if all you need is that knock control.