Hi pontiac 301T

I have a friend locally that is VERY familiar with the 301 turbo.

He is a NHRA racer and he was the first racer to ever win a Stock Eliminator event with a turbo car, his Pontiac 301 V-8. :)

If you are interested, contact me by direct e-mail, or call, and I can provide you with his info.
If it's who I think it is he's a member of the 301garage Nick.;) He doesn't get on much and doesn't provide much info so any you could provide would be great.:cool:

I wouldnt be dissapointed, we are not far off from having her go good, the issue is the combo is not right anxd we need to square that up. I think your only confusion is draw thu concepts, which even i are still learning. How to make that power without the detonation is a hell of a challange using what we have.
Thats good news the torque converter is indeed a higher stall unit! We have a great starting point! Now heres whats next, We need to convert your turbo to remove that P trim wheel. Once we can install a more appropriate turbine you will see a big difference in what power you are feeling now. And pow, watch how she feels then! Thats when we can start looking at exhaust and pipes.

Hey,
If it is who I think His name is Rick U..?
I have talked to him some before but any other info is good.

thanks guys for your input

Kevin

Hi Guys,

I started to back track a few things that I have done and I have had really rich # during wot, I found the problem. I had moved the mech tab that opens the secondaries forward that the linkage would open them faster. well I think it put the timing out on the carb so as soon as the pedal was at the floor it was rich way to soon and could never use the fuel up.

I bent it back some and right away I could tell the difference, so bent it back some more and now it's still 10.3-1 afr wot but now I can use my stock DX rods again. want to bend it back till I get the afr back in range for wot

I could get the tires roasting doing a brake stand

only one test run and my rad let go so I am looking to get a new aluminum one.

later Kevin

Hey Guys,

Should be next week and I will be putting in a new Griffin Dominator rad, and I will be trying to set my new secondary choke pull off, the stock one is 5 sec, how many seconds should I set it for to start? maybe 3 sec?

later Kevin

Hi Guys,

Have my new rad tight fit but it does go in
grin.gif
. hope to have it running tonight.

later Kevin

The heads on the pontiac 301s suck, don't know why anyone would want to convert to anything bigger than a te44 for it

Hey,

I have read lots of your posts and learnt lots, so thanks for the knowledge but I don't appeciate smack. I am just trying to have some fun with my car.

Choice of words go a long way if your intentions where postive.

later Kevin

Just stating that they suck that's all. Not saying you're wasting your time at all if that's what you thought. I think it's cool you're keeping the 301 draw thru

Got to agree here Jesse. Do you have any idea how many people including on this board have told me to throw the C/T system and go with an intercooled one? I may not have a running car right now but I am trying my best and I have a feeling it wil be faster than most of the SFI cars out there, at least once that is.;)

Thanks for the thumbs up, Sir.

I want to keep it as stealth as possible, hope to get some real gains but there is a lot of issues with bottle necking. Maybe someday the 301 will get some respect and aftermarket intake, heads and headers will be available.o_O

later guys

Got to agree here Jesse. Do you have any idea how many people including on this board have told me to throw the C/T system and go with an intercooled one? I may not have a running car right now but I am trying my best and I have a feeling it wil be faster than most of the SFI cars out there, at least once that is.;)
I've never once told anyone to dismiss the c/t setup. Don't know where you are getting that from.

Hey
I think Charlie just ment that generally, nothing to do with anything you Sir have ever said directly. we should all show up at Charlie's yard have a few beers and laugh at him trying to catch his goats that got out.

I like the cars on you sig.. what is 1320 video

later Guys

I've never once told anyone to dismiss the c/t setup. Don't know where you are getting that from.
Never said you Jesse. Others on the board have said it to me though.o_O The C/T system isn't even considered a turbo car by some on here.:mad: One guy bragged that he'd owned every version of the GN that had ever been produced and I asked how he liked the 82. He said it wasn't a real GN since it didn't have a tubo.:rolleyes:
Hey
I think Charlie just ment that generally, nothing to do with anything you Sir have ever said directly. we should all show up at Charlie's yard have a few beers and laugh at him trying to catch his goats that got out.

I like the cars on you sig.. what is 1320 video

later Guys
Goats are easy to catch but you need to know how Kevin. A bucket of corn and they come running to get some of it, and I'm talking about the corn.:p

Some people are stupid and don't recognize the car was named after racing and not just a name made up for the car. Just like the irocs

Hi Guys,

The rad is back in place and works great but something to be desired for the fit,

So back in the game of tuning, moved the tab that operate the secondaries mechanically back some more but gains don't seem to be happening now. Went from my stock DX rods to CE rods and still goes straight to 10.0 wot AFR then 10.2 wot AFR, going to try some leaner ones today.

still can give a really nice smoke show when the secondaries open only with a brake stand.

Has anyone any idea why going from my stock turbo then to this turbo would make it so rich? my AFR wot was fine with the stock turbo with the DX rods, 11.6 AFR wot.

later Kevin

I think now your feeling the effects of the 90* foot........ your getting a first hand account of what Ive been trying to explain to everyone for years. no matter how you bounce the rods or lean settings out it either is too lean or too rich. the foot cause a situation where tunability at higher mass flow rates is almost impossible. you cant force fuel to turn and stay atomized. just wont do it.

The foot will only flow soo much, and it was already at its limits with the stock wheel.

hey,

so I was reading about the foot issues that the housing has Dr. F, so you think as soon as you go bigger the issue will start?

just remembered a guy on the 301 garage has a te-44but hasn't really given any info but claims it goes, will have to bug him some more on tuning

my alky spray is in the 90* of the foot facing toward the intake.

later Kevin