Hi pontiac 301T

My alky spray is in the 90* of the foot facing toward the intake.

later Kevin
I think we've got an answer to some of the issues you're having Kevin. Aj and I have gone through this before on placement of the alky. If you were running SFI with an intercooler than you'd have a good location but with the alky in the foot then there's some atomization issues. It really needs to be in front of the turbo for the best effect. If you go to Rich's site he's got a pretty simple DIY alky injection set up outlined that should work better for you.

www.beforeblack.net

I do really think this is your problem, particularly if your pushing alky at the same point. I would be curious to see if the guy you know is really getting true results or is just happy with what he gets. I have been fighting this situation for awhile and I do believe the bigger we get the more the problem compounds itself. facts is facts. the housing sucks.

See this is another thing with alky I've been wondering about on the sfi cars. I always thought I had an injector sticking but I changed injectors and cylinder 5 is still leaner than the other 6. I'm even running a power plate. Everyone sprays alky in the uppipe right by the tb. In theory you'd think between the atomization of the methanol and the more even air distrubution of the plate would take care of this but it doesn't. I've also read that some of the faster guys are using a spacer and NO power plate, which doesn't make sense. I've always been meaning to do some testing of my own on the alky/pp combo but never have time. Just out of curiosity, have any of you draw thru guys notices any cylinders burning more lean than the rest? Upping fuel is a poor bandaid for this as far as I'm concerned.

Hi,

Well what I can do is unplug the alky and test it out, did this before and didn't get the results I thought. hmm

btw the alky nozzle is a high pessure mist one, can get more specific info if you guys want

With this other guy I am really not sure of any results, to me he seems reluctant to give anything.

later Kevin

'm even running a power plate. Everyone sprays alky in the uppipe right by the tb. In theory you'd think between the atomization of the methanol and the more even air distrubution of the plate would take care of this but it doesn't. I've also read that some of the faster guys are using a spacer and NO power plate, which doesn't make sense. I've always been meaning to do some testing of my own on the alky/pp combo but never have time. Just out of curiosity, have any of you draw thru guys notices any cylinders burning more lean than the rest? Upping fuel is a poor bandaid for this as far as I'm concerned.

About the power plate. I have one too, but I 'm going to remove it. Have you witnessed RJC's demonstration of how the plate works in person? It's a great sales demo.
He puts a leaf blower connected to a throttle body and plenum then turn on the leaf blower, asks you to put your hand under the lower plenum and feel the air distribution,
then puts on the power plate and repeats the process. You can truly feel an equalized distribution of air, BUT this test doesn't take into account what changes when the manifold is bolted to the motor. Doesn't the air flow change when the valves are closing and pistons moving? So wouldn't this affect the redistribution of air that the plates affecting? Essentially resulting in really no change? This is all just me speculating, but the really fast guys don't seem to be running them anymore.

Sorry to redirect the thread.

Hi,

Well what I can do is unplug the alky and test it out, did this before and didn't get the results I thought. hmm

btw the alky nozzle is a high pessure mist one, can get more specific info if you guys want

With this other guy I am really not sure of any results, to me he seems reluctant to give anything.

later Kevin

I'm curious to see pictures of your project if you have any to post. I like these cars and the 301. I hope you get it all sorted out. Good luck with it.

About the power plate. I have one too, but I 'm going to remove it. Have you witnessed RJC's demonstration of how the plate works in person? It's a great sales demo.
He puts a leaf blower connected to a throttle body and plenum then turn on the leaf blower, asks you to put your hand under the lower plenum and feel the air distribution,
then puts on the power plate and repeats the process. You can truly feel an equalized distribution of air, BUT this test doesn't take into account what changes when the manifold is bolted to the motor. Doesn't the air flow change when the valves are closing and pistons moving? So wouldn't this affect the redistribution of air that the plates affecting? Essentially resulting in really no change? This is all just me speculating, but the really fast guys don't seem to be running them anymore.

Sorry to redirect the thread.
But if you notice the guys going fast and have stuff that wasn't built during the clinton era are going fast with a lot less and the people that actually research and test products are beginning to get rid of the PP. I didn't know that test was doing with a leaf blower. Who knows maybe I got the plate flip-flopped. I just find it odd that I buy the plate to cure this issue and it's still there.

Hi,

later Kevin
What size nozzle and how much pressure are you using Kevin? What a lot of guys don't realize is as alky cools things down the moisture in the air/fuel mix can condense so you can end up with stray droplets in the intake.You may need a .05 micron spray and a much higer pressure from the pump to get where you want to.;)

Hi guys,

I have a FJO racing meth kit with a 250psi pump and 700cc nozzle.

I am tracking down software for this setup to adjust it, I do remember, today, that the dyno guy that installed it sprayed so much meth that he lost 10hp on the dyno to cover the detonation.

So I am not to sure but that is probably way too much meth/alky for what I have now .

Later Kevin

Hi guys,

I have a FJO racing meth kit with a 250psi pump and 700cc nozzle.

I am tracking down software for this setup to adjust it, I do remember, today, that the dyno guy that installed it sprayed so much meth that he lost 10hp on the dyno to cover the detonation.

So I am not to sure but that is probably way too much meth/alky for what I have now .

Later Kevin
700 cc nozzle? I have a feeling you're getting way to much alky Kevin. That would explain the rich condition for sure.

hi,

the nozzle is supposed to be goo for up to 550hp, i will put a link up later,

i put in leaner sec rods CK with alky and it was rich as always then pulled the power and the afr was leaner but kind of all over the place. I will try the stock DX and no alky again. hope I can figure out the software.

later kevin

Hi,

I changed the carb float from 5/16 to stock 15/32 to see if that change my afr, it did abit

Well the rich issue is off line 12-1afr, then 10lbs and up 10-1 afr , then leans abit to 10.5-1afr so a little different but really not much, no alky with 10lbs and less anything over 10 lbs I have to run alky. have to start messing with the rods maybe lengthen them a bit.

want to talk about the igntion abit, so I was running 10* base 20* full mech , no boost retard with alky and 18lbs no det.. so tried putting it up some right now at 20* base 30* total with just over 1/2* of boost retard per lbs of boost, running 18lbs of boost no det. is this the right way to set it up.?make a world of difference in power.

so as long as the det is controlled put up the timing? MSD ignition and btm
little lazy out of the hole but did start spinning the tires at 30mph in first gear

need a different t converter and gears

later Kevin

Sent you an email Kevin. Sorry but I've been killing spammers on the board today and so far the counts up to 35 since 9am. They've been joining at about 3 to 4 per hour.:mad: I'm just a bit grumpy right now so if I snap at anyone I'm sorry.:oops:

Sent you an email Kevin. Sorry but I've been killing spammers on the board today and so far the counts up to 35 since 9am. They've been joining at about 3 to 4 per hour.:mad: I'm just a bit grumpy right now so if I snap at anyone I'm sorry.:oops:

You are a busy guy aren't you, seen that post about your kills, nice. read em and weep M Chicken, LOL:) c/t laying the law down in Texas.

read your email, thanks,

things are lineing up , get my software for easing out of the alky next week.

later Kevin
will post up some pics and maybe a video soon, right after #2 babie's arrival on wed. Aug 22. 2012, 8 am schedueled C section.

P1000065.jpg

i got one of these engines complete with a fresh turbo on it. car was demolished in the rear end another car hit it. engine turns over freely. could be yours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $750 i also have some parts off another turbo 301 as well

Hi Charlie,

I did the accel pump yesterday and took off 1/16'' from the shaft, helped considerably now just a fine tune the flaps. too get rid of my secondary lean bog.

any idea on brands of audible knock sensor ?

well yesterday went out for a rip and it's cooler out now 70-75f but it wanted to haul the best show so far, I got on it and as soon as the secondaries hit boost rolled hard and the car broke loose. From 30mph and up through 1-2 shift was as I quote my 2 3/4year old sons words " slippery Dad" got out of it at about 60mph.

still way fat on wot afr but a little closer. will put up a video and pictures soon, just really busy with the neww baby girl.

later Kevin

I belive Caspers has a good one Kevin. Once of the guys can chime in with what they're uising. You've got audible and visual but most go for the audible ones since you don't have to look at it.;) The more knock you get the louder it gets.

What's the RPM at 30 mph? That's gonna be the clue to nailing down the converter speed. I'll bet it's about 2800-3000 and feels like it's kicking you in the ass when it hits.:D