Hi pontiac 301T

HI there,

just wanted to say hi and that I have been reading about all you 3.8t guys lots of fun stories out there.

I have a built 81 301t and I am going with a upgraded turbo te 60-1 machined into my stock housings, coming this spring. My setup I have now is about 350 at the wheels. This is still a carb turbo.

I want to thank Charlie for all his help, Thanks Charlie for a 301t that will be something to rekon with when I get it tuned

later Kevin

LOL Welcome aboard Kevin. I'm really suprised more guys haven't come over to look things up since the cars share so much between them.:)

thanks for the greetings,

my housings are in transit right now and should be at Reeds house very soon to get the operation under way. I hope the surgey will be a sucsess, he says it will flow 525hp on a good day.

later Kevin

I'll bet a few of the guys from 301 are going to start asking some interesting questions when you're done with it Kevin.:biggrin: For some reason no one's really tried to do much with these old systems and now things seem to be happening with the right combo of people and knowledge.:)

I just like to thank Charlie for extending himself to the Pontiac 301 folks, and to me personally.

What an impressive gentleman!

He has helped fill in several gaps in my understanding of aspects that these cars share.

If there's anything I can ever do, please call on me...

Thanks again,

Joe

Welcome aboard Joe!:D Glad to see you over here and maybe we can really do some cross training between the boards or real now.:cool:

Hey Guys
Small update on my te-62 on the 301t

Things are progressing but slowly, last year I had 73 primary jets but tring to get better a/f #s, during cruise and light throttle I had to go back to the stock 70's.

I am waiting on a different secondary pull off from Cliff then I can adjust the speed the flaps open, probably could have used the existing one though. I was always rich on the secondaryies also, I bought some secondary rods from Summit to try, someone gave me a set of DR rods though and my chart says they should have been lean but they are rich untill it gets higher rpms then is in the low 11afr range.
undecided.gif

something is still strange on the way it boosts. I am going to get a larger up pipe made in 2 weeks when i get a chance, to make 2.25 od pipe bc the id of the housing is 2 1/8th. maybe i have restriction. stock pipe is a small 2'' i think

as performance wise right now it is best at 22* and 18psi boost and 1/2 to 3/4 throttle wait 4-5 sec on the secondary pull off then it starts to spin as the flaps are opening up.

Almost made $100 today as a guy from work told me up pipes are availible from jegs or summit I said no and he was sure i was wrong then he backed out of the bet still sure he was right, I should have shook before he backed out.
cheesy.gif
lol

later Kevin

I dont think your up pipe is your problem, I think its your exhaust energy is too low to spin that P trim wheel....... a bigger up pipe is just going to improve flow but at the loss of exhaust velocity. in my opinion, a stage 3 turbine would be more appropriate or you need to bump compression to 9.5-1.

Hi,

Charlie has been helping me with this setup overon the 301garage site,
what would happen if i chqange the up pipe? pros cons.

could a 301t work well with that high of compression of 9.5?, stock is 7.5 and i have 8.5

thanks for the response Kevin

Higher compression has advantages but it also can cause detonation issues. What you've got now is fine Kevin. A larger up pipe will allow for expanding gas to hit the turbo better which happens with a larger pipe on the HA SFI cars. Once you get the secondaries sorted out you should notice a big difference and remember that you can also change hangers to move the rods further out and give you more fuel.

So the 2.25'' up pipe is a good mod then?

guess i will try it either way and respond the outcome.

i think i should have a secondary hanger that holds the rods lower as it is 10afr then leans out to 11.2afr

later kevin

dr_frankenstein said:
Get Bison in on this.

I think its too much turbo, I suggest a TE44

The stage 3 turbine would definitely spool faster and you could have the secondary open faster and get more out of it down low. Still limited by the intake and compressor housing though. I'd never run a p trim in an application that flowed less than 50lbs/min. It won't make more power and will require a lot more stall speed to get it going. I could fairly easily slam any wheel into one of these crappy housings and open up the backplate after trimming the back of the compressor wheel. There is little power in more compressor. If it were me I'd convert it to blow through and run a high flowing single plane intake. It will pick up power unlike any other modification. Even with the cast manifolds it will still pick up tremendously. If you go to blow through you can run a dynamic seal e cover turbo and pick up flow big time.

well I would like to stay as stock as possible rather than going to a blow through system, the car is a export 81tta pace 250 made.

also not to disagree with anyone but my 0 boost is at 2100rpm on a 12'' convertor, just for info

later Kevin

Remember that moving the rods up on the hanger will richen things up some so putting them down further will lean it out. The fact that you've also got some really restrictive piping for manifolds helps and hurts at the same time. They keep the heat in really well but if you have a way to allow for the heat to expand the exhaust just as it gets to the turbo it will spool a little faster. That's why the HA guys bought the up pipe from JayGN. It's a 2.5" pipe and really helps the performance of the cars.

forget the pipe, its not the problem.

forget the exhaust manifolds, there not the problem.

You will know that the pipe and the exhaust is a problem when the EGTs start getting hard to control, then we can address the pipe.

1st, we need to ditch that P-trim, get your converter sized correctly and work our way out from there. The problem, is that were almost approaching this like a SBC..... forget spinning the engine up high. we need to focus on low RPM boost, which should be strongly coming in by 2500-3000.

2nd, we need to see this engine for what it really is, an enconomy emissions motor. The design is a cuz of the Pontiac 2.5L 4 cyl which is where part of the keith black pistons comes in, there the same piston. The cranks are on the same page as well, short a few counterweights and oftly spindly... The 301 and the duke share head design as well, using what they called a "modern emissions design" which while good at reducing nitrates and hydrocarbons, dont breathe for squat. The function of boost being seen is restriction, not actual power. I know, because ive fought this very problem with my iron duke. round and round until i broke down and went super duty. Charlie knows where im coming from, i was once a member of the 301 page myself. Been There Done That

I can almost guarentee..... the first crack at 475 -500 hp will snap the crank. right behind #2 main.

Hi,

well I am a bit dissapointed and confused, as for building boost 0 boost is at 2100rpm and i can hold the car to 2400 rpm with 5lbs of boost.

the old turbo was running an accelerometer read 370whp in 2nd gear.

later Kevin

I have a friend locally that is VERY familiar with the 301 turbo.

He is a NHRA racer and he was the first racer to ever win a Stock Eliminator event with a turbo car, his Pontiac 301 V-8. :)

If you are interested, contact me by direct e-mail, or call, and I can provide you with his info.