Hi pontiac 301T

Hi Guys,

It is running and the first time out i had the sensitivity at half and it over retarded and went into a safemode. couple minutes later was ready again. so i set the sensitivity to a quarter and then turned the timing retard rate and boost start rate seems very close to be ready to fine settings. the gauge is very handy setting up retard.

very pleased so far and is very user friendly.

later kevin

Hi,
turned up the boost, 17 lbs, turned the dizzy a little the other day messing around then just turned the dizzy down so not sure base timing. 16-17*.

setup the vampire 1/4 sensitivity, 1/2 -1/3 * timing rate taken out after 10 lbs of boost, was det showing on the guage then NOT depending on timing rate taken out,

all I can say is power wise the front end drops considerably when I lift at 55mph, also a little nervous going hard like this, lol

later Kevin

So it ran better Kevin? The knock may be something hitting and not true detonation so you need to make sure what's going on.

Hi Charlie,

it deffinately runs better, i am still on all cyl retard for now. it had some more bark n the exhaust.

i think i have it set alright for sensitivity, but will check

i did turn the base timing on the dizzy down and i will check what the timing is and bring that back up just want to be conservative as i work my way up,

i would crank the boost up and try for 20lbs, but raining again , now my boost gauge will be maxed i only bought a 20lber never thinking i woud be going this high lol

Charlie tried calling you last night but no answer, i read on 301g that you were a little laid up yeasterday , o_O

Yea, I partied a little more than I expected to Saturday Kevin.:oops: I've got to get with the other Kevin and see about getting his car running in the next day or two.

it has always been my personal prefereance with these cars using the foot, to push timing as far as possible and creep the boost up on that. we want as much motor as possible, to keep the power production as low as possible in the RPM range so that the turbo is adding extra power but to the point of where it can flow and not begin to choke itself with the foot. does that make any sense? try to mitigate the effects of the 90*

Hi Dr. F,

I was thinking along the line you said and was going to do it the way you explain, and thanks for telling why I wanted to do it that way. how much cfm do you think the foot can flow? I am wondering at what point i will start dead heading

gots to go Kevin

It's not that the "foot" can't flow, it's that it causes fuel dropout because of the angle. Matt got 20 PSI out of his 301 unit if I remember right, so you should be able to get at least as much. One of the deciding factors here is your intake flows better than the Buick one since it's open. Aj isn't using a stock intake at all but it's got a lot more volume than yours or mine does. Get it up higher and see what it does is all you can do.;)

It's not that the "foot" can't flow, it's that it causes fuel dropout because of the angle. Matt got 20 PSI out of his 301 unit if I remember right, so you should be able to get at least as much. One of the deciding factors here is your intake flows better than the Buick one since it's open. Aj isn't using a stock intake at all but it's got a lot more volume than yours or mine does. Get it up higher and see what it does is all you can do.;)

Of course 20 psi or better can be reached, even on the stock intake.. but once pushing towards those levels the effects become more pronounced. Squeezing all out of the motor and pushing for max boost lower in the rpm has its advantage in that at the lower mass flows the turbo can really shine from its improvements before full flow causes its problems. At any rate, the stock 301 wheel can quickly find the limits of the housing once rpm and boost is high, so for Kevin to get the most from his upgraded wheels he needs max spool at lowest possible rpm.

So knowing that.... you get what I mean about the tune with this housing?;)

He's still got a long way before he hits the limit Aj. It has to do with volume VS flow at this point and he isn't even over 20 PSI yet. Once he does I'm guessing he'll be over 500 HP and with the 14 he was running before the vampire I'd guess he's around 425. Once he gets into the 25 PSI range I think he'll start showing problems.;)

He's still got a long way before he hits the limit Aj. It has to do with volume VS flow at this point and he isn't even over 20 PSI yet. Once he does I'm guessing he'll be over 500 HP and with the 14 he was running before the vampire I'd guess he's around 425. Once he gets into the 25 PSI range I think he'll start showing problems.;)

his intake is much bigger then ours volume wise. id bet that he will encounter problems at around 20. and right now he is making a solid 300 and at 20 will be closer to 400.

id be willing to put money on this. But this should be far from discouraging - those are solid numbers for what was terrible technology to begin with.

his intake is much bigger then ours volume wise. id bet that he will encounter problems at around 20. and right now he is making a solid 300 and at 20 will be closer to 400.

id be willing to put money on this. But this should be far from discouraging - those are solid numbers for what was terrible technology to begin with.

If you took the original boost level and added 30% (flow increase) that give you rough power at stock power level. Roughly 245 HP at 8 PSI. Now what's the formula for each PSI equals how much HP?