Hi pontiac 301T

If you took the original boost level and added 30% (flow increase) that give you rough power at stock power level. Roughly 245 HP at 8 PSI. Now what's the formula for each PSI equals how much HP?

thats is if you assume that boost and power rise in a linear fashion....

they do not in our application. Heat/foot negate that.

you cannot devise that "X" amount of boost will result "X" amount of horspower. Without even being close to the choke point, the boost power ratio becomes quite skewed throughout the rpm range with the movement of air through the housing. The housing doesnt flow the same amount for the given pressure depending on where the point is at that particular moment for mass flow. Poor flow, fuel drop out, distribution and puddling are all of these variables. Not to mention the added battle of the rising heat as the boost increases which has it own effects on the density of the fuel/air charge and how the rise in temps effect those parameters.

later GNs point that this was an issue that engineers fought with and why they canned moving fuel through the turbo along with the style of foot. the later HA cars arent much different then our setup if you play the math.... cause the intake was very simular in thought, and biggest difference being point of fuel introduction and the elimination of the foot.

ive held onto this info for a long time now.

Hey Guys,

I didn' t have the knock sensitivity setup right it was too sensitive, now it is right. messed with the dizzy and base timing it is setup now, unknown degree though, set safeguard on 10 degree all cyl right now, 17 lbs of boost around 2 degrees of knock according to the guage. start retard at 10lbs and 1/2 a degree retard rate

it is running great, weather is getting cooler out, monday should be good for a raise in boost and a little tour.

later Kevin

Sorry I missed your call Kevin. I've been re-arranging the house some and cleaning the crap out of it. What octane are you using in it?

That's what I was wondering. When you increase the boost go with 11 per cylinder just in case. It's better to be cautious and change things after you get to 20.;)

I was thinking and one fuel station that has 93 octane local it is ethanol blended it think 10%, but not that easy to find in smaller towns,

When you increase the boost go with 11 per cylinder just in case. what do you mean 11 per cyl?

later Kevin

hey guys,
went out last night, it was cooler out last night about 55-60 F, seemed to be more knock is that because of cooler temps? 91 octane, fuel is about two weeks old

it is going to be a beast when i get some more time in the seat, i did a second gear pull, had it in second then wot, and at about 45-50 mph the tires came loose when the boost hit. also tried a wot at 25 and shift to first gear from drive and had wheel hop not good. still 17lbs boost

i have noticed in cooler weather the afr is abit slow getting rich? so i have to watch that.

hey Charlie, have tried calling you, when is the best time?

later Kevin

I've been cutting cedar fence posts for the last couple of days Kevin, so I may not hear the phone. Usually the best time is after 7 PM central. Got good signal tonight if you want to call.

When air is cooler it's more dense so the AF mix is leaner. A leaner mix means more chance of detonation. The primary needles may need to be changed or the jets need to be bigger on the primaries. If it's only when you WOT that the AF is going lean then the rear needs to be richened up.;)

hi Guys,

been around reading not much else though, so I have the sensitivity on my J&S vampire and the know is set at 10lbs before timing retard, I have the * per lb of boost set at 1/2 -3/4 retard. fine tuning but I have a question.

if it back fires out the tail pipe means ? and if it stutters or breaks up at higher rpm on both senerios?

stutters to me is not enough timing too much timing removed per lb of boost, but not sure about the back fire

hae a great day Kevin

At what RPM does it start to stutter Kevin? The valve springs may be weak and causing this. Backfires usually mean to much fuel and/or timing issue.

I the stutter, sound out the exhaust , 4500rpm roughly, not engine hesitaion. have to do some more runs, the backfire is separate settings on timing per lbs of boost retard.

i really understand a powerlogger now lots going on.

thanks Kevin

hey Guys,

was doing some reading and it was about plug gap, mine is at .045, I was told by my engine builder to go .025 gap. To me it would make sense on the stutter or strange exhaust noise , that maybe the spark is blowing out at 15lbs. HEI dizzy and Accel coil.

thoughts on this and what gap is ideal?

thanks Kevin

Go down to .030 first and see Kevin. Most of the Buick guys are running .028 to .032 on their gaps.

hey guys,

I went .030 and the issue went away, I will regap to .035 then up to .040 to see what happens. I talked to Reed also about this and he is very knowledgeable about the J&S safeguard

thanks Charlie

later Kevin

hey Guys,
I bought new plugs and gapped them at .040, seems fine but didn't have much time before work to really open it up. Should have abit more time to crack the throttle later.
previously I had too much fuel at WOT, I read a post that Joe Ritcher from 301garage put up about the vacumm break and had me thinking about mine, I put in a quicker one 3second not the 5second factory secondary flap break.
I put the factory one back in and my AFR is way better and not pegged at 10-1 afr,
later Kevin