Help with what turbo I need.

TA49-WE4

Ok so I am going to need to buy a turbo soon. As mine has some major shaft play! :(

My goal is to be able to run high tens, lets say 10.80's or so. Then be able to turn down the boost and run mid 11's all day long.

My setup is in my sig.

Other things that I plan on buying that are not in my sig are:

1: 120 lb injectors
2: Dusty Bradford 9 1/2 inch NL convertor

However the turbo must come first as it's what is broke or almost broke.

Im leaning toward a journal billet 6262 or 6265 3 in 2 out .63 A/R turbo.

Thoughts?

I posted roughly the same question a few days ago with 49 views and no answers. I don't know what the problem is with people helping out. Post a washer off of a GN and get dozens of replies and hundreds of views. Geeze?

Go with the 6265 as i've heard great things about it. I would highly recommend getting the converter from dusty. If you get the 6265 i would get it with a "S" cover.

I have the te45a and I think it would work perfect for what you want, I have several friends with the same turbo and they all LOVE it.

I have the te45a and I think it would work perfect for what you want

I also had a 45a before i got the 67 and it did make some good power. The only thing i didn't like was i had to run a 3500 stall so spooling was a tad to slow for me.

1 vote for the 6265

1 vote for the te45a

I should add that I drive this car on the street a lot. Powertour, carcraft nationals, trips etc.

Would like to keep the stall speed to 3000 or under if possible.

I also had a 45a before i got the 67 and it did make some good power. The only thing i didn't like was i had to run a 3500 stall so spooling was a tad to slow for me.

Does the 67 spool better? make more power?

Does the 67 spool better? make more power?

The 67 spools much faster but as far as power i haven't been to the track with it to compare and also my setup has changed a bit since i had the 45. Driving around town it feels faster with the 67.

1 vote for the 6265

1 vote for the te45a

I should add that I drive this car on the street a lot. Powertour, carcraft nationals, trips etc.

Would like to keep the stall speed to 3000 or under if possible.

Definitely go with the 6265 or 6262 because the 45a will need a 3400-3600 stall.

Dusty Bradford 9 1/2 inch NL convertor is ~ $1000. Talk to him about it or maybe Patrick will chime in.

IMO- get a journal bearing turbo, non billet too.

A used 6776 would be a good way to go. I'm running a ptc 9.5 that stalls right at 3100 and it spools my 6776 really well. It's enough for mid 10s but at 19-20 psi it should do bottom 11s. I honestly haven't seen that the billets are worth the extra money over some of the newer proven turbos.

Why shouldn't he get a billet if he has the money to?

I have not seen a lot of evidence that it’s worth the $$$$$. Plus the billet helps under high boost right (27+ psi)?

I've seen a lot of guys run low 11s/high 10s with smaller old school turbos. I say buy a new TE60 for $600 and go low 11s with traction high 10s.

All of the "should do" this "could do" that stuff is what steers people in the wrong direction. I see you want a 3000 stall? A 6265 would be my pick. Get the ported shroud and transition hoses if needed. The sound is cool and it will perform nicely. I have had stockers,49, 63, 67, and 70mm units.

All of the "should do" this "could do" that stuff is what steers people in the wrong direction. I see you want a 3000 stall? A 6265 would be my pick. Get the ported shroud and transition hoses if needed. The sound is cool and it will perform nicely. I have had stockers,49, 63, 67, and 70mm units.

I just threw that 3000 or under 3000 if possible stall speed out there because I don't want a turbo thats going to need a huge stall speed.

Is a ball bearing unit out of the projected budget? Fuel and timing play a role in spool up too.

Is a ball bearing unit out of the projected budget? Fuel and timing play a role in spool up too.

If the payoff for the extra price of a ball bearing unit is worth it, then no its not out of the projected budget.

Will a ball bearing turbo last longer than a journal bearing turbo???

If you wanted to use a lower stall then the ball bearing would help. Plus its really fun on the street. As far as longevity is concerned i'm not sure which would last longer. If you go with the 6265 and use one of dusty's converters you probably dont need the bb.

If the payoff for the extra price of a ball bearing unit is worth it, then no its not out of the projected budget.

Will a ball bearing turbo last longer than a journal bearing turbo???

It depends on how important the spool up is to you since you have a projected stall target. I didnt pay the extra for the BB version. It would help with spool but traction is already an issue:biggrin:

Will it last longer???:confused: You never know these days....

I think Spoolfool is running a 6262 and about 3k stall 10.80s pretty low boost
Look up his combo.....

OOOps make that a 6265.......

O and Jaz is right about the traction thing and faster spool. It can be a little difficult