Help us build "Nasty Wendy 2"- AKA "The Phonix"

Thanks Phil.

OK so this was the first time I ever did a rear brake job on a GN or anything with drums. I'm thinking this can't be that much different than changing pads....... So a few hours later and I'm finally finished one side. I am convinced that someone took a genius, two monkeys, and a box of springs and said "ya'll build something out of this....and everyone has to contribute".

Awesome job Clay.
Take a Scotch-Brite pad and rub it on the stainless tank straps...they will look killer. You know my detailing sickness...;):D:p

Thanks Phil.

OK so this was the first time I ever did a rear brake job on a GN or anything with drums. I'm thinking this can't be that much different than changing pads....... So a few hours later and I'm finally finished one side. I am convinced that someone took a genius, two monkeys, and a box of springs and said "ya'll build something out of this....and everyone has to contribute".

Lol thats like 30 min a side tops.... lol

Awesome job Clay.
Take a Scotch-Brite pad and rub it on the stainless tank straps...they will look killer. You know my detailing sickness...;):D:p

Thanks Coach. I'll scotchbrite them for sure.

Lol thats like 30 min a side tops.... lol

Yeah well I left out the part about the car already being up on jackstands with the rear tires off.....so it was worse than I made it sound. Now I'm about to do the other side.

OK so finished the rear brake job and I'm looking at my altenator....nope thats not good enough. I take it apart to clean it up good and as it turns out one of the brushes is broken so it would have had to come apart anyway. Located some brushes at Autozone and picked them up. Now I'm working on cleaning it up. And its freaking COLD.....43○F!!!

I know Mike did the post but for some reason I can't find it either Clay. Maybe he'll bump it or chime in.

Ok I saw it and it is a nice finish for our old alternators. I have the stator hanging up right now ready for some black paint. I'm going to bead blast the covers and see what they look like. If they come clean I'll clear them if not then I guess I'm sanding first.

Clay,
Let me know if you have any questions. I am very reachable. If you do a clear coat on engine stuff (valve covers, alternator, Etc), I've had best luck with doing a ceramic coat clear. You now have one of the most legendary Turbo Buicks on the planet. Take your time on stuff and enjoy the journey. We are all very proud to be part of this car and your passion to own it.

Who's in charge of tuning and getting you to the track, once this thing's done?:D

Clay, How fast have you ever gone in the quarter mile?

Mike Barnard

Clay,
Let me know if you have any questions. I am very reachable. If you do a clear coat on engine stuff (valve covers, alternator, Etc), I've had best luck with doing a ceramic coat clear. You now have one of the most legendary Turbo Buicks on the planet. Take your time on stuff and enjoy the journey. We are all very proud to be part of this car and your passion to own it.

Who's in charge of tuning and getting you to the track, once this thing's done?:D

Clay, How fast have you ever gone in the quarter mile?

Mike Barnard

Thanks Mike. After bead blasting the covers and wiping them with Acetone they came clean. I assembled the altenator and shot it a coat of 500○F clear. I'm not sure if its the ceramic clear but it seems to work pretty good. Should I find myself re-doing because of dissatisfaction I'll more than likely do the complete 'billet treatment'.

The car will be tuned by Cal. I'll be taking a trip to sunny Florida for several things and a stop over at Hartline's is one of them. I'll get the car tuned and pick up the hood.

How fast I've gone in the quarter mile? No where near as fast as the car could have gone. When I built my original the NHRA rules stated that the quickest a non-caged car could go was 12.0. I made aborted pass after aborted pass trying to tune the car down to 12.0s. I was enjoying racing and didn't want to get kicked out. I finally got the car tuned in to run 12.0s and it was like a bracket racing car. 12.0 after 12.0 after 12.0. Even after the rule was changed and non-caged cars were allowed to run 11.5 I didn't touch my tune and continued to run 12.0 and had fun with the weekly bracket races. The car would run 12.0 on 18psi which is where it was set on every track visit. On the street I've had it up to 26psi and it was obnoxious. Since then I've upped the engine to a production 4.1 and a V1 frontmount with a TE45a. The 12.0 combo was a 3.8, stock location IC with a TE44. I have a feeling that I'll be tuning this one down to ll.5s much the same way I tuned the first combo down to 12.0s. My track now allows outlaw passes if you sign a disclosure to not hold them responsible for your demise. The combo that will reside in the car when all is done will force me to sign that disclosure if I want to know what it'll run. I am not caging this car as I do plan to street drive it and enjoy cruising it.

all clean and new looking
image2 (4).JPG

Last edited:
Alternator looks great.
Glad to hear that you are one to enjoy what these great cars are designed to do. Go fast, with class.:)

Thanks for posting the pictures.
Mike B.

Ok so the alternator is on and the fuelpump hotwire kit and voltbooster is installed. The car has an underdrive crank pulley and I don't know if I want to leave it or replace it with a stock one. I have to decide this so that I can buy the right belt tomorrow. I scotchbrite'd one of the gas tank straps and it made a huge difference in the shine. I found some clear tape on the straps while I was scotchbriting so I'll have to remove the tape and the residual sticky crap with acetone before I can finish scotchbriting. My windshield washer reservoir cracked. It is extremely brittle so I guess its time to replace. So I was going to snap a few pics of my progress but so much dust has settled on the car that I have to clean it first. Wire brushing and bead blasting everything that goes on the car has settled a fair amount of dust. So maybe pics tomorrow.

OK so I got the negative battery cable installed I also installed one of Casper's Electronics positive battery cables that relocate the fusible links to the engine compartment. I kept the underdrive pulley and put on a 61.3" belt. The wiring at the alternator is cleaner than I thought it would be with a voltbooster & fuelpump hotwire there as well as the stock wiring. Cam was supervising everything with is green-glow eyes lol. I have to get some swagelok fitting tomorrow so that I can plumb in my transmission oil cooler lines. I don't have the short lines that connect to the radiator/cooler so I'm bending tubing and using the swageloks to complete the plumbing. I have to give a big shout out to 'The California Duster' lol for getting the car looking good enough to post pics. Its a very short list of things until startup - plumb in trans-oil cooler , plumb in oil cooler, install battery, add fluids.
image1 (3).JPG
image3 (2).JPG
image2 (5).JPG
image4 (3).JPG
image5 (3).JPG