Help removing turbo

darb

What to know which is the best way to loosen the bolts from my THDP to the turbo. Those things are on there pretty darn good. Wanted to ask here before really applying some elbow grease on them. Also, anyone know what size bolts hold the header to the turbo are? Thanks for the help.

Brad

the bolts holding the downpipe to the elbow on the turbo are 15mm, i woudl guess the ones on the header ore the same. i just plled my downpipe out yesterday so i could gut the cat, it took some work to get thoes bolts loosened. spray some wd-40 or some penetrating oil on it the night before and let it set, then more wd-40 the next day, let it dry and take a torch to it to heat up the metal around the outside of the bolt, then start loosing the bolts, if they dont' come out dont' force it, you DON"T want to round off the bolt.

I don't have a TH DP, but I did have allen head bolts on my 3" ATR DP and I used a bit of WD-40 when I removed them. I tried loosening the bolts first, they didn't want to loosen so I tried tightening them and then I heard a faint crack and then I could loosen them without a problem. Now whenever I have a tight bolt that doesn't want to come loose I try loosening first and then if that doesn't work I try tightening (slightly) and then the bolts seem to come apart just fine. This is what I did with the up pipe to turbo studs and nuts this spring on my original turbo that had never been off on my 86 GN (17 year old exhaust studs)

Good luck,

PB Blaster works well also, CarQuest has it.

I like to unloosen them about a half hour after driving the car a bit.

Always use neverseize on the bolts.

cut the end of the alen head off about 3/4inch and use a 6mm socket to get the allen bolts out workes like acharm or go to sears and get a 6mm allen socket for 3/4 ;)

Just put studs in my turbo housing today.

MUCH easier to get the darn thing on and off now.

Nuts with integral serrated washers and thats it.

No more bolts. :)

SalvageV6,

Do you have a THDP? If so, where did you get your studs for it? Thanks.

Brad

He has a Mease DP...Don't forget to use never seize on the bolts when you put them back on.

Originally posted by salvageV6
Just put studs in my turbo housing today.

MUCH easier to get the darn thing on and off now.

Nuts with integral serrated washers and thats it.

No more bolts. :)

Salvage,

That is a good idea that I wish I had done, what size are the studs if you don't mind me asking??

I was at my mechanics working on it.

He picked them out of a bin he had saved up from working on cars for several years. ;)

Anyway there were M8 1.25 thread on both ends.

I am guessing they were 2 1/2" long total.

Ones I had gotten from sears hardware were about 2" and too short for the huge flange on the Mease downpipe.

The cool thing about the studs he used were that they were smaller on the end the downpipe you fit over. Allows for a wrench to pull them out or tighten them in. Also makes sure you don't fubar the threads when starting the downpipe over it to align the thing.

Still needed a couple of taps with a rubber hammer to get it on straight due to the precision housing on my old PTE51.

Taps were light however and it went right on as the tolerances are real good when the downpipe gets near the turbo housing.

A bit harder to corkscrew the downpipe in there with studs sticking out of the turbo housing, another thing for it to catch on.

Lots easier with studs for sure!!!!

We did joke about making up a kit of 4 studs with nuts and neverseize and selling them on Ebay for $29.95. :D

If I can get my linelock installed on saturday for racing sunday at Englishtown I will ask him if he knows what brand and type the studs are.