help figure this out.

jose garcia

Hello to all, i am new to the forum, but have been reading much. Bought my car and dont know what has been modified. So i replaced the stock 28 lb injectors with 60's and a tt chip. Before the swap, motor would boost to 20 plus psi plus.. i disconnected the direct scan installed by Connley and now, it wont boost past 10 psi... car has a deltagate 2 and inside the car boost control valve. What gives? Car has a bigger turbo with DP and duals. I have other questions, but want to fix this first. Chip is for 60 lb inj to 18 psi with 93 octane.

Regards,
Jose

The first thing you need to do is purchase a Scanmaster/Powerlogger and SEE what is going on. Guessing will only cost you...

Bryan

Thanks for the response. Prior to the injector / chip swap the car ran ok, although rich.. i think the tune was set up for WOT driving. Now, the car idles way better and more responsive. But, it wont boost past 10 psi..

Jose

No, it was boosting.. it has a knock alarm with light. Before, the car did not come alive till almost out of first gear, very bad off idle response. Now, that i diconnected the Direct Scan and chip, and replaced w/ TT & 60'S, nice idle, great response, but wont boost..

Jose

Thanks to all who have chimed in.

jose garcia said:
No, it was boosting.. it has a knock alarm with light. Before, the car did not come alive till almost out of first gear, very bad off idle response. Now, that i diconnected the Direct Scan and chip, and replaced w/ TT & 60'S, nice idle, great response, but wont boost..

Jose

Thanks to all who have chimed in.

Have you tried turning the boost up manually with your in car controller? I'm not familiar with how the deltagate works with that controller.

Did you check the hoses to the gate and controller to make sure there are no leaks?

Do you have a stock maf? Could also be a fuel related issue. The reason you don't see boost is because your fuel pump may be going south. If you have a translator, it may be adjusted for too much fuel.

Stock MAF. External fuel reg. reads 41psi & 43 with vac. hose disconnected. The change, happened when the stock 28 lb injec. were swapped for 60's. I then removed the chip (unknown type) and replaced with TT chip. The car was EXTREMLY rich. So i unplugged the Direct Scan from the ECM. Started car back up, nice and smooth, better than before. It seemed car was set up for top end blasts, she screamed once out of first. Connely set the car up, from some of the paper work I have found. But, it was parked back in 1996, until I recently found her.

Thanks,
Jose

Fuel pressure could be fine at idle but not fine under boost. Fuel pressure should increase 1 psi per lb of boost. You will need a FP gauge to monitor it. Caspers sells one that you can put under the wiper while you drive, or do what I did and get an electric one for the A pillar. If your fuel pump is bad you can blow a head gasket under boost. How many miles are on the car? Sooner or later the stock MAF will fail. When it does, I would get an LT-1/translator from Full Throttle, or be on the look out for a used set up.

It stays at 41 even at 10 psi of boost? If so you definitely need a new fuel pump. Or a new gauge.

I have a repair book that gives this test for fuel volume. It is not a test for fuel pressure. Might be interesting for you to try: (1) Start motor, notice FP (2) remove vacuum hose from regulator. Pressure should increase (3) Rapidly accelerate while watching the FP gauge. If the fuel volume is ok, the pressure should not drop more than 2 psi. If the fp drops more than 2 psi, replace the fuel filter and retest (4) If a new filter didn't fix the problem, replace the fuel pump.

Thanks, i will try. The fuel gauge psi will rise a bit when the vac hose is disconected at idle. Pressure is set at 40 psi. The boost will not go above 10 psi, back road, set in 3rd gear, break and build boost to 0/1 psi and floor it.. this happened after changes. Before, eith 28 LB stock injectors, direct scan plugged into ECM, car would hit 20 psi boost.. i put 93 octane with some race fuel mix to keep it from knocking ( audible knock box . Car was a pig from idle, and wouldnt level out unless she was boosting.

Jose

Hello to all, i am new to the forum, but have been reading much. Bought my car and dont know what has been modified. So i replaced the stock 28 lb injectors with 60's and a tt chip. Before the swap, motor would boost to 20 plus psi plus.. i disconnected the direct scan installed by Connley and now, it wont boost past 10 psi... car has a deltagate 2 and inside the car boost control valve. What gives? Car has a bigger turbo with DP and duals. I have other questions, but want to fix this first. Chip is for 60 lb inj to 18 psi with 93 octane.

Regards,
Jose

What boost controller do you have ? I see you say it's in car . I would move it closer to the deltagate with new vac hose take it for a run. Do one thing at a time and see if it fixes it. Doing more than one thing at a time can get confusing and you will not know what fixed it. Do you have any Exhaust leaks? A post of your engine bay may help.

Dont know brand, but its manual, sits inside the center console. I will remove and place closer to the deltagate ll.

Thanks,
Jose