Headliner is falling--need advice

kwikgn1

I was wondering if I should go with the abs unit and install it myself, or have a shop redo my stock headliner? I want to make sure it retains the factory look since it is an unmolested show car with low miles. If your advice is one or the other, could you recommend a place? If I need to have it professionally redone, I live in Northern Illinios, so shop would have to be in the "area". Thanks in advance.

They are not that hard to do yourself. The most important part is removing all of the adhesive from the roof board. The surface needs to be perfectly clean and smooth. The next important part is smoothing out the new material. A good fabric store can match the material or a local upholstry shop. The adhesive can be obtained at the local auto body supply store. If you have the choice of an adhesive that dries slower than others, take advantage of it as it will give you more "working" time. Since it is the first time for you, take the advantage.

I did mine. Got the material from Jaxx seat covers. Was very happy with the way it came out. Don't forget to compare your sun visors to the new material you get to make sure the contrast is not to much for you so you can take care of the visors at the same time if you need too. Prepping the board is very important and not difficult.

And be sure to use a quality "glue adhesive" on the headliner, or you will be doing the job again sooner then you think.

I had the same issue. I took out the original headliner board myself and brought it to a local upholstery shop. They had like 15 different shades of grey and were able to find a perfect match for the original color. They removed the old material and glued the new material on. I think I paid about $125. Then I re-installed it myself. I broke a few of the clips that hold the trim up across the rear window. These are a little tricky to remove intact. The upholstery shop gave me some replacements for no extra cost.

I replaced mine with an ABS unit. That being said, if I were to do it over again I'd have a shop recover the original. The ABS unit was 160$ and it was a royal P.I.T.A. to install. I had the crumbling foam EVERYWHERE. Killed a whole Saturday between removal, replacement and clean up.

If you got he cash buy ABS and be done with it. If you do it yourself its not hat bad. Becareful around the holes for the sunvisors they tend to break very easily. The more the headliner is coming off the easier it is to clean off. I usually use a hard bristle brush on the foam board. Home depot sells 3M 90 high strenght adhesive spray works great. Remove the board through the Passanger side door(steering wheel is not in the way) unless you have T-tops then it dont matter.

If you're doing it yourself get some alumimum A/C tape and reinforce the holes around the visors. I did mine in 96 and it's still good

I did my own with the jax seat covers kit. Scraped it all clean according to instructions, the glue that they sent with the kit lasted about a year and was falling again. Peeled all the material off without issue (glue was that weak) and reglued it with 3m. Making it stretch around and look nice around the coat hook holes was tricky but it looks good enough for me. This is a t top car too. If it comes off the board again I'm buying an abs unit.

If the old brown foam gets all over the interior it makes a hell of a mess. Can be cleaned, but do everything within your power to prevent it.