Heading to Korea

boostfreak

knock? is that good?
Well, my time in flight school is almost up. Got my verbal confirmation of orders the other day. Korea. Kinda bummed because I wanted to go back to the sandbox, but I know that Korea will give me time to become a better pilot. Looks like I'll be down at Camp Humphreys near Osan. Anyone been there or stationed nearby?

Hate to cover up the T for another year :mad:. It's always fun to come home and figure out what new problems have manifested while you're gone.

hello peoples: I never been in the service or Korea but I've met older vets that where in Korea.
Take advantage and do your military thing. If I was going I'd look up that South Korean made Kia Optima that's being advertised all over here in the states. Maybe rent one. But you as an aircraft pilot are probably going to be busy and thrilled enough.
keep safe
IBBY
it's not the fall it's the landing that sucks

Well, my time in flight school is almost up. Got my verbal confirmation of orders the other day. Korea. Kinda bummed because I wanted to go back to the sandbox, but I know that Korea will give me time to become a better pilot. Looks like I'll be down at Camp Humphreys near Osan. Anyone been there or stationed nearby?

Hate to cover up the T for another year :mad:. It's always fun to come home and figure out what new problems have manifested while you're gone.

Yeah my ex fellow army recruiter just finished flight school a few days ago and will be heading to korea as well. He's not to happy but he likes flying the blackhawk..

Stay safe over there... Try to enjoy your time... And as always thank you for serving our country!!!

Korea is a blast. I was stationed in Osan for a year back in 98. Yeah the bars and juicy girls are there if you're into that stuff...and that's always fun.:D Not to mention the shopping is cheap and you can get anything made there. Blankets, suits, luggage....you name it.

But I suggest getting away from that and see Seoul and all the small towns away from the military bases. One thing I didn't see that I wish I did was go to the DMZ. I use to go mountain biking in the hills by some small villages and what not...lots of beautiful countryside out there.

Point is..the guys that complained that Korea sucked were the ones that stayed in their rooms every weekend playing video games or getting smashed at the NCO clubs.

Yep

korea is a blast. I was stationed in osan for a year back in 98. Yeah the bars and juicy girls are there if you're into that stuff...and that's always fun.:d not to mention the shopping is cheap and you can get anything made there. Blankets, suits, luggage....you name it.

But i suggest getting away from that and see seoul and all the small towns away from the military bases. One thing i didn't see that i wish i did was go to the dmz. I use to go mountain biking in the hills by some small villages and what not...lots of beautiful countryside out there.

Point is..the guys that complained that korea sucked were the ones that stayed in their rooms every weekend playing video games or getting smashed at the nco clubs.

korea is the better of the two sandbox has too many regs as to not offend the natives . Korea !!! Can you say happy ending

I'm sure I'll have a good time, just wasn't really thinking Korea. Oh well, it's just a year anyways. I know I got to get out and do stuff to make it worth while. I do plan to see the DMZ while I'm there. I hope hops to other countries aren't too expensive. I'd like to see some of Japan and Thailand while I'm in that part of the world.

Korea !!! Can you say happy ending

Hahaha...I can honestly say I never got one of those. Well...being married and all, I was a good boy over there.;)

I remember this one time at the bar...one of those juicy girls thought I was gay because I wouldn't buy her a drink LOL.

Korea rocked! I was there in 96-97. Stationed at 2/2/2ID Aviation Unit, Camp Stanley up in Uijonbu...

Don't be like those idiots who complain about everything being different. It's a different country. Go out and enjoy it. Jump on the train and go to Seoul; go to hooker hill, check out the clubs, check out the electronics market, eat the food! Don't worry about eating quegogi (dog)- It's a delicacy and very expensive- not something I ever encountered while dining out. Also make sure to try the Soju... It's awesome. And if you're tough enough, be on the look out for the Thunder Run. ;)

Osan is further south and way cushy compared to the northern camps....

Weather is super hot in summer and hella cold in winter... Just be prepared...

Also, make and effort to befriend the KATUSA soldiers (Korean Augmentee To US Army) they will be happy to teach you some Korean language (hongul) and some of the do's and don'ts as well as the cool places to go and check out.

The other benefit, if it is still Army policy, is that a "hardship" tour entitled you to be able to select your next duty station with more certainty... Most of my buddies selected Trippler Army Air Field in Hawaii (1 year tour) or one of the various posts in Germany (3 year tour)... Make buddies with the guys at the PAC and see if PERSOCOM connections can take care of you...

Best of luck and have fun. Hooah!:cool:

And if you're tough enough, be on the look out for the Thunder Run. ;)
:

Awesome! Thanks for the info man. I'll probably get a sponsor here soon. I should be heading to 3/2 AVN GSAB. I'm pretty sure that's the only hooks in Korea now. I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is a thunder run? I'm sure I'll love the answer, haha.

The Thunder Run is where the troops take the FNG downrange to the local bars... (all of them):eek: and do a little drinking or alot:D. There have been a few deaths and accidents associated with this as some of the youngsters did not know their limits. It's a usually fun initiation tradition if you use common sense... Here's a tip... Soju kettles and soju cherries must not be taken lightly. You will drink this and it will have zero effect on you. Then you'll stand up. You'll wake up in a corner drooling on yourself...

It is best to do this on a weekend. Doing it during the week will likely be met with an evil 1sg or CSM who will decide to run you 6+ miles through rice patties... Not pleasant.

Also make sure that if you are given a "Company Coin", you keep it with you at all times... failure to do so will obligate you to buy all the drinks...

Ahh, the good old days.:cool:

Man

the thunder run is where the troops take the fng downrange to the local bars... (all of them):eek: And do a little drinking or alot:d. There have been a few deaths and accidents associated with this as some of the youngsters did not know their limits. It's a usually fun initiation tradition if you use common sense... Here's a tip... Soju kettles and soju cherries must not be taken lightly. You will drink this and it will have zero effect on you. Then you'll stand up. You'll wake up in a corner drooling on yourself...

It is best to do this on a weekend. Doing it during the week will likely be met with an evil 1sg or csm who will decide to run you 6+ miles through rice patties... Not pleasant.

Also make sure that if you are given a "company coin", you keep it with you at all times... Failure to do so will obligate you to buy all the drinks...

Ahh, the good old days.:cool:

now that you told him about the coin & thunder run .you took the shock and awh out of it .korea by far was one of my best stations that and japan.

now that you told him about the coin & thunder run .you took the shock and awh out of it .korea by far was one of my best stations that and japan.

I know. I was thinking about that after I wrote it... These days though with everything that's going on overseas, I'd probably be more apprehensive if I knew nothing of the new station at least this way there's something to look forward to... I spent a few days on Okinawa. Pretty but pricey. Korea was hands-down my best duty station as well... There were plenty of sucky days too, don't get me wrong... It's still the military. However, it seems as if the cameraderie among the troops was a little tighter since we were all in it together.

I often miss the fun, the food, and good friends there...

Sounds like good times. I'm normally pretty good with the coin. I still keep a coin my last plt sgt gave me. Every time the old platoon gets together for a function, he tries to catch us. It's either drinks or we push until he gets tired, haha. Last time I ran into him was after I went warrant. Now I don't have to push, but since I'm getting "that ol officer pay" I have to buy two drinks, haha.

I can't wait to get out of TRADOC. I miss the comradery from the unit.

Korea is a blast. I was stationed in Osan for a year back in 98. Yeah the bars and juicy girls are there if you're into that stuff...and that's always fun.:D Not to mention the shopping is cheap and you can get anything made there. Blankets, suits, luggage....you name it.

But I suggest getting away from that and see Seoul and all the small towns away from the military bases. One thing I didn't see that I wish I did was go to the DMZ. I use to go mountain biking in the hills by some small villages and what not...lots of beautiful countryside out there.

Point is..the guys that complained that Korea sucked were the ones that stayed in their rooms every weekend playing video games or getting smashed at the NCO clubs.

^This.

I was stationed over in Korea from June 07 to June 09. I had good times also. I had it made in the shade by working on Yongsan in Seoul. WAYYYYYYYYYY to many people in that city. But there is a lot to do. I recommend Jeju Island since you will be south anyways. Hit up "Love Land" its a blasty blast. Lol :wink:

AGREED (especially the last line; that was the case everywhere I was stationed.)

I DID go to the DMZ, they have great tours there and its pretty intense. You'll get to go about 20 ft. into N. Korea, and both sides of the compound have a number of guards posted, both completely frozen in place. The most interesting thing I saw there was a "propaganda town"...they have completely fake towns about a mile into N. Korea made to look very prosperous, with all these dummy people and vehicles, and loudspeakers cranking the propaganda, apparently to lure S. Koreans into the north (back in the day.) I guess people who wandered over there were snatched up by troops once they came close enough to realize it was a trap! And the biggest flag in the world is on the N. Korea side. Its just ridiculously big. There's a lot about N. Korea that is just CRAZY.

I went to Seoul, and Osan. Both are awesome, Osan was more exciting. Shopping there is awesome, you can pick up some crazy stuff there for nothing. Electronics and interesting clothes and shoes (like limited-edition stuff you would never see here) were what most of my buddies and I picked up. There are lots of girls ("real" and "for hire") and they generally like Americans. If you get out of the obvious traps near ports/bases, you can meet some nice (and pretty damn good-looking) ones. If you DO decide to stick around ports and bases, you'll meet plenty of non-Korean girls (from EVERY corner of the world! lots of Russians especially) but they naturally expect to get paid for their company :wink:

Koreans often don't speak a lick of English, so don't expect to get around asking people to translate for you! Over all they are OK to Americans, the younger guys may hate on you (unless they are military...Korean Marines are badass) but the older generation are usually still very warm to U.S. troops - they remember what we did.

Have a blast. I did.

I need 2 new mink blankets check the going rate.....;)
No stains please.......:eek: and watch the Soju, in the day it had unregulated formaldehyde.....:rolleyes: True! Might wake up 2 days later, might not wake up at all.

Good Luck and stay off the mined beaches...
Ronnie

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was a little bummed at first, but it looks like it will be a blast if I get out and about. It was the same way in Germany. People would complain about being there when all they had to do was get off the post and explore. Gotta make the best of it!

Mink Blankets! LOL

Sold in every street market in the world, with the same cheesy graphics :rolleyes: