Gun experts please come inside.

I carry a S&W J frame revolver...it's a 5 shot but fires .38 and .357 rounds...I like it because I can conceal it just about anywhere and it has stopping power...I've had it in my front and back pockets of my jeans and you can't even tell it's there...you may say only 5 shots...but with .357 slugs if I need more than 5 shots I'm in big trouble anyways...for home protection I have many other guns...

I'd rather hit with a .25 than miss with a .357. Six shots may not be enough at all and then there is the additional time it takes to reload a revolver. I have run countless rounds through different types of 1911's with very little jamming. If you keep an auto clean the chances of it jamming are very slim.

Also, shooting at live targets is much different than paper targets. Paper targets don't startle you, they don't shoot back, they don't run, they don't hide, they don't scream, and they don't die. All the best laid plans in the world are great, but any hunter will tell you once the adrenalin starts pumping it gets hard to shoot accurately. Being able to hit a live target with distractions and adrenalin running through you is very difficult. You may find need of more than six rounds. If it's home defense you are truly worried about, nothing and I mean nothing beats a 12 gauge shotgun.

Whatever you decide to go with I will tell you the same thing I have told others who were buying their first gun. They are dangerous and they will kill you very quickly if you are not paying attention. Shoot often and shoot alot of rounds when you shoot. There is no substitute for practice. Always treat the gun as if it is loaded and ready to fire. Poor muzzle control has caused many gun accidents.

Oh yeah, one more thing, NEVER NEVER NEVER pull the gun unless you are ready to use it. They are not for intimidation, they are for killing.

I prefer an auto for rounds too... Plus, IMO they have less recoil...

Anyway if you have decided on a revolver check out the Smith's or the Tarus. I own both and never had any trouble with either... Nothing wrong with a Tarus is just not as pricey as others... The 38/357 versions are nice as you can shoot cheaper with the 38 but keep the big boys for self defense!

I would stay away from Charter Arms and other less known companies!

I picked up a S&W .500 the other day, talk about a handgun:biggrin:

I prefer an auto for rounds too... Plus, IMO they have less recoil...

Anyway if you have decided on a revolver check out the Smith's or the Tarus. I own both and never had any trouble with either... Nothing wrong with a Tarus is just not as pricey as others... The 38/357 versions are nice as you can shoot cheaper with the 38 but keep the big boys for self defense!

I would stay away from Charter Arms and other less known companies!

I picked up a S&W .500 the other day, talk about a handgun:biggrin:

S&W .500, if you don't hit em that's ok, they'll all be deaf and disoriented anyway. :biggrin:

I have a buddy who has a Desert Eagle .50 and he bought a .500 to go with it. First time he shot it we were together and he kept saying "well if I can handle this DE .50 the .500 will be no problem. What I kept telling him and what he would not listen to is that a revolver does kick harder and it's louder. First trigger pull the .500 comes back and hits him right in the forehead :biggrin::biggrin:

As the blood was dripping down his face he says "damn, why didn't you tell me it was going to kick like that". I laughed for days!!!!

s&w .500, if you don't hit em that's ok, they'll all be deaf and disoriented anyway. :biggrin:

I have a buddy who has a desert eagle .50 and he bought a .500 to go with it. First time he shot it we were together and he kept saying "well if i can handle this de .50 the .500 will be no problem. What i kept telling him and what he would not listen to is that a revolver does kick harder and it's louder. First trigger pull the .500 comes back and hits him right in the forehead :biggrin::biggrin:

As the blood was dripping down his face he says "damn, why didn't you tell me it was going to kick like that". I laughed for days!!!!

roflmao!

S&W .500, if you don't hit em that's ok, they'll all be deaf and disoriented anyway. :biggrin:

I have a buddy who has a Desert Eagle .50 and he bought a .500 to go with it. First time he shot it we were together and he kept saying "well if I can handle this DE .50 the .500 will be no problem. What I kept telling him and what he would not listen to is that a revolver does kick harder and it's louder. First trigger pull the .500 comes back and hits him right in the forehead :biggrin::biggrin:

LOL! Did he compare the bullets first? You can put a whole .50 AE bullet through the chamber of the .500;) These bullets are massive! Got some high grain stuff coming for it. I don't plan on shooting it freehanded! I have the bipod and scope on the way:biggrin:

I had a revolver jam on me once!:eek:Thank God it was during range qualification...one round (factory ammo, not reload) had a high primer & when the cylinder cycled it jammed about 1/2 way into battery. The (so called) Range Safety Officer smacked it against the 4x4 post of my line to dislodge the cylinder :eek: amazingly, the round didn't touch-off.
I had to use a revolver because Glocks had not been authorized by the agency I was with at the time (no safety!?! Even though the firearms supv. who approved the weapons list carried a .357 revolver and i never could find the dang safety on his gun...:confused:)
Anyway, check out different types of guns until you find one that YOU like and suits YOUR needs.
D :cool:

What about the taurus version of the smith/wesson hammerless light weight 38? Thinking of one for the wife.

Good gun. Taurus has always had good revolvers. Taurus semi autos were better when they were copying other well known reliable brands. Around 2000 they started manufacturing their own designs and the quality has been questionable.

Good information, I will definitely have to look into this. Thanks!

Shane, I hear ya on the whole revolver vs auto debate. Lotta options in both cases from what I have found. Thanks for the offer to do some price checking. I will let ya know if I need some checked.:cool:

If you go with the semi as soon as you get it home...clean it! Too much goo from the factory. It will perform better with a good light oil cleaning. ;)

funny you said that

Good gun. Taurus has always had good revolvers. Taurus semi autos were better when they were copying other well known reliable brands. Around 2000 they started manufacturing their own designs and the quality has been questionable.

If you go with the semi as soon as you get it home...clean it! Too much goo from the factory. It will perform better with a good light oil cleaning. ;)

but i know berreta and taurus are very simular and berreta is a known name. i have several and i lean towards auto. just don't like the revolver but then again if your going to pick up your shells and walk away after the fact then to each his own.

rob's got a good thing that i was going to say until i saw his post. what you may also look at if you go with a gun is how hard is it to break down and then you put it back together. most auto's i won't carry unless they a broke in. my desert eagle 9mm is accurate i qualified with it and had the highest score of the class with about 25 other guys including 2 military. regardless you need to consider alot of stuff. as young as you are 1st thing you should think about is a way to get a situation down to where you don't have to pull your pistol to resolve ANYTHING. talk about losing your license quicker then you got it unless you have some real good witness who are on your side. even walking around the local grocery stores and reaching up to get something from the top shelf and someone saw it is a big no no and you will be arrested. alot has to go with carrying and IMO i wouldn't want anyone to know i carry in the room. nothing like a surprise if you absolutely have to use it. alot of rules and you need to know them in your state and any state you may travel to. what are their laws on CHL'ers and do's and don'ts. sounds like you have plenty to get maybe both and choose from there. as several have stated previously too many opinions, you have yours and i know mine.

one last thing maybe a pistol and a pump shotgun. nothing says let's get the F outta here like the sound a someone racking a round in the chamber. heck you can do it empty and all eyes will be like the deer in the headlites looking around in that direction. shotguns have a larger spread pattern of you use something other then slugs, you can get a mossberg 500a for about 200 new and they are decent 1st time owners.

Gonna probably go check out this one I seen online that I liked. S&W J-frame revolver 640 Pro Series Model~ 2 1/8" barrel, .357 Magnum/.38+P, 5 shot, stainless frame/cylinder, hammerless, and synthetic grip. Retail on S&W's site is $845.

nice gun but

you may check your state, most make you carry a revolver if you qualify for one. so if you change your preferances later on in life and you have plenty of it. maybe the gun needs some work done, stolen, lost and you go for an auto guess what you cannot carry. if you qualify with an auto you can carry either or. just making you aware of it, trust me try understand we all change our preferances as we age and wise up, well some of us do. just consider what i'm telling you, if anything borrow a good freinds auto, make sure it's broken in and you've had some range time. not trying to make you go with an auto what you carry is your business but what would you rather have? i let a brother in law borrow my desert eagle for his chl class a few months ago. if your close enough to someone and they have a decent gun maybe it could be an option for you. just wanting you to understand it, just in case. what you have concealed is all you. i prefer my 45 and 10 shots of gold dots.

you may check your state, most make you carry a revolver if you qualify for one. so if you change your preferances later on in life and you have plenty of it. maybe the gun needs some work done, stolen, lost and you go for an auto guess what you cannot carry. if you qualify with an auto you can carry either or. just making you aware of it, trust me try understand we all change our preferances as we age and wise up, well some of us do. just consider what i'm telling you, if anything borrow a good freinds auto, make sure it's broken in and you've had some range time. not trying to make you go with an auto what you carry is your business but what would you rather have? i let a brother in law borrow my desert eagle for his chl class a few months ago. if your close enough to someone and they have a decent gun maybe it could be an option for you. just wanting you to understand it, just in case. what you have concealed is all you. i prefer my 45 and 10 shots of gold dots.

I hear ya, my dad has an auto (Sig P220) so I could always take that to the class if need be.

there you go

with it being your dad i'm sure he doesn't mind, you know the kick, reliability. last thing you want to do is take a new gun to a CHL class. trust me the one i took 3-4 new guns in that class and 3-4 who never shot a gun, you'd be surprised at some people who think it's easy to pass. you have shot it? you can hit a target accurately from where you should right? just make sure you take alittle time on it when you take your class. as i remember i was ready to kill a target but controlled my breathing and everything before i shot. helps alot but just wanted to let you know my 02 and you can do what you like i'd prefer to carry either or even though i don't own a revolver. always keep your options open.

My first gun that I bought year was a Springfield Armory XDM .40 cal with 16 round clip and best bang for the buck.The next I'll be getting is The Judge from Taurus is great 5 shot revolver thats a bad boy shoots either .45 Colt,.45 ACP,and .410 shotgun shells. You will blow them mothers away!!!:cool:

funny thing i used to do

when i started managing my own store we had a solid steel box made roughly 2.5 feet by 3.5 feet in diameter. anyway anytime a cool gun would come in we'd check it out. was pretty safe but then again that depends on the shooter. one of my newbies i was talked into letting him shoot just missed it and it hit a tv next to it but not the screen. no big deal we owned it anyway and i made sure to put our own broke stuff by it. shot all kinds of guns and found the eagle that way and this was back when i carried a single action firestar 9mm that was compact. i shot a 500 into it and this boy weighed ALOT with casters. that thing rolled back about 6 inches i'm guessing. i was like WTF. shot a thompson 223 single shot target gun a guy owned. he used it for competition. i asked most owners or waited until we owned it. it had phone books taped to each other in the center surrounded by 2X4's to keep them in place. on time we were testing a gun in the back of the store and we told everyone fire in the hole. well one guy walked in after that was said and didn't hear it, you'd be surprised at how fast people move when they hear gunfire in the back or their reaction when they're surprised. another thing is we'd hire a police officer for christmas and then the owner decided to go cheap one year and instead hired an armed guard. dealing with him we asked if he ever shot his gun and he told us no. well we broke in his gun. made me feel real safe with his no experiance in shooting his gun or even knowing if it fires. the next year we had a police officer after i told the owner about that.

go buy these

a DESERT EAGLE .50 for the streets:biggrin:, and a RIOT PUMP SHOTGUN for the house:biggrin:

Gonna probably go check out this one I seen online that I liked. S&W J-frame revolver 640 Pro Series Model~ 2 1/8" barrel, .357 Magnum/.38+P, 5 shot, stainless frame/cylinder, hammerless, and synthetic grip. Retail on S&W's site is $845.

PM sent!

agreed with you onthat one

a DESERT EAGLE .50 for the streets:biggrin:, and a RIOT PUMP SHOTGUN for the house:biggrin:

but i'm biased...................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• DSC05607.jpg
    DSC05607.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 153
I have (2) permits ready to go myself... I'm thinking a Taurus Judge and a Kimber Pro Carry...

K.