Gun experts please come inside.

86brick

It's just a V6 Brick.....
Hey guys, I am soon gonna be purchasing my first gun. Mainly for home defense and also for when I get my CCW. I am leaning towards a revolver and I think I'd like to get a .38 caliber gun cause I don't want it to have a lot of recoil. Was looking at some of the Ruger models as well as the S&W's. I really don't want anything larger than a 3" barrel considering I'd like to eventually carry it and I'd like to spend no more than maybe $800-$1000. Anybody got any suggestions on a good gun for what I want?

Thanks for any suggestions.

A hammerless S&W Airlite would be my choice and is for an off duty gun. You don't want a revolver with a hammer getten caught up in ur clothes in the instant you need to draw it. They also make one that is a .357/.38 which is what I carry. A couple hundred more tho. Same gun but a slightly different barrel that can withstand the larger .357 Magnum round. It's simply a longer round with more charge.

And yes, it does have a kick with the .357 but you only have to hit em once.;) The .38 will do the trick tho.

Two advantages to a revolver imo. Dead rounds just cycle thru and no stove pipes. If someone grabs ur revolver by the barrel they won't prevent it from firing because the barrel does not need to cycle back to exit the round like an auto. They actually practice that chit in prison believe it or not.

Autos generally house more rounds and are easier to reload. But if u can't hit someone at close range with 6 shots then you should have run vs. pulled ur gun.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/91203482...stols/SMITH_AND_WESSON_642_NEW_IN_THE_BOX.htm

To each their own on revolver vs auto, BUT for the money you can't go wrong with a Bersa Thunder .380 automatic

I personally have one, as does my neighbor. I have had mine now for 3 years & love it. I have ran at least 300 rounds thru it & never a single jam, missed ejection or missed load. They can be bought at any Gander Mountain that carries handguns. I bought it for $240 including tax. They have gone up in price, but not crazy. I think a Gander Mtn. would still be the best bet for the best price. They are a quality gun at a very reasonable price.

BersaPistols.com: Bersa Thunder 380

Another gun to consider is a Taurus Judge. It will have more kick than you may want, but it's the ULTIMATE self defense pistol.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

A hammerless S&W Airlite would be my choice and is for an off duty gun. You don't want a revolver with a hammer getten caught up in ur clothes in the instant you need to draw it. They also make one that is a .357/.38 which is what I carry. A couple hundred more tho. Same gun but a slightly different barrel that can withstand the larger .357 Magnum round. It's simply a longer round with more charge.

And yes, it does have a kick with the .357 but you only have to hit em once.;) The .38 will do the trick tho.

GunsAmerica - SMITH AND WESSON 642 NEW IN THE BOX - Smith & Wesson Revolvers > Pocket Pistols - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H

Sounds nice, I like the fact that it is hamerless cause as you said that is very practical for a gun that you will carry. Thanks Brett.

springfield xd9 subcompact - Google Search
For the money, XD9 sub is very hard to beat. I pd $500 tax included. Shoots great, great reviews, conceals well. Before this becomes a pissing match, let me tell you straight up. I've owned lots of guns in my day. Everyones got their own opinion on whats best. Go to a gun range, most ranges I've been to have many guns to shoot. Shoot as many as you want. Buy the one that "you" like and feels good in your hands. Egronomics is the key. It should fit your hand well. Nothing worse than buying a gun without shooting it first then to realize it aint for you. If your on abudget, the XD9 sub is one to try. Go shoot everything, have fun, then decide.;)

My off-duty is a Glock 27 w/ +2 mag extension & internal laser (the G-27 is 9mm)they run about $500 & up ( I think, I've had mine awhile), I am a real fan of Glocks (G-17 w/ 20 rd mags as my primary duty sidearm). Aside from being a peace officer I am also a CHL Instructor (and I personally prefer pistols over revolvers) The Taurus Millenium is an excellent value, around $300-$350 in my area (Houston) and is avail in 9mm, .40 cal & .45 cal & has a lifetime warranty.
Anyway, pistols are (to me anyway)a bit more concealable as they tend to be narrower and (usually) have a higher capacity.
The bottom line however, is what YOU are comfortable with.
You need to commit to wearing it like underwear, if you leave home, you carry.
Go to your local range and try out various models (and, if applicable, have your significant other do the same) listen to what everyone says w/ a grain of salt (even me :D) but in the end go with the caliber and weapon YOU feel comfortable and confident with.
Let me know if I can help you out,I'm not up on the Fl. gun laws but can maybe give you ideas on carry options & other non-legal stuff!
HTH
D :cool:

I've been wanting to a .38 for awhile. Bought the S&W Airweight. Very nice. Gave it to my brother.

I like the Ruger LCR. Ruger LCR Double-Action Revolver

For your first gun I 'd recommend either. Great carry gun.

Revolver is very dependable and will always fire. ;)

I've been wanting to a .38 for awhile. Bought the S&W Airweight. Very nice. Gave it to my brother.

I like the Ruger LCR. Ruger LCR Double-Action Revolver

For your first gun I 'd recommend either. Great carry gun.

Revolver is very dependable and will always fire. ;)

The Ruger LCR is one that I have actually looked at and really liked. Seen it at our local Gander Mountain and it seems to be a great gun for the money (haven't heard anything negative about it).

In the end, I will probably end up going to the range and shooting some guns to see what feels right. My dad just purchased a Sig Sauer P220 .45 ACP automatic and it seems like a great gun, but I think for my first gun I want something a bit tamer as well as easy to carry.

There is an article on page 14 of the following link that has some good info on stopping power.

http://www.newamericantruth.com/archives/mags/2010/natjan10.pdf

Ultimately it is very important to remember one stat out of there, trained LE officers have as high as a 80% miss ratio when shooting in real situations. With the money you are willing to spend, upwards of $1000, you could have a nice primary and a less expensive back up gun to go with it.

Here come "da Judge"! Miss w/ the slug round?? NP, here comes a wad of #6 shot!

The Ruger LCR is one that I have actually looked at and really liked. Seen it at our local Gander Mountain and it seems to be a great gun for the money (haven't heard anything negative about it).

In the end, I will probably end up going to the range and shooting some guns to see what feels right. My dad just purchased a Sig Sauer P220 .45 ACP automatic and it seems like a great gun, but I think for my first gun I want something a bit tamer as well as easy to carry.

That's what you need to do is go shoot some!

The gun Brett mentioned is an awesome little piece. Can't hardly feel it, its so light!

You got the whole revolver vs auto thing...

Once you decide that then we can give some great options! Since we have opened the store I have handled some nice weapons... There are many other choices other than listed so far. No one has even mentioned a glock or a few other nice weapons available! I will be happy to do some price checking for you, there isn't that much mark up in hand guns though...

One small thing to remember when taking your CHL.class. This may not apply in every state. {it does in TX.} If you take the class with a revolver, your only allowed to carry a revolver, no exceptions. Borrow an auto to take your class. You can then carry either, in case you decide you want an auto down the line. Good luck.

What about the taurus version of the smith/wesson hammerless light weight 38? Thinking of one for the wife.

One small thing to remember when taking your CHL.class. This may not apply in every state. {it does in TX.} If you take the class with a revolver, your only allowed to carry a revolver, no exceptions. Borrow an auto to take your class. You can then carry either, in case you decide you want an auto down the line. Good luck.

Good information, I will definitely have to look into this. Thanks!

Shane, I hear ya on the whole revolver vs auto debate. Lotta options in both cases from what I have found. Thanks for the offer to do some price checking. I will let ya know if I need some checked.:cool:

Im no expert, but heres some junky old stuff. Sig P220 .45 carry or Sig P226 9mm or the P556 pistol:eek: I like Sigs.
Products & Services
Products & Services
Products & Services

My dad is a Sig man as well, he has owned a few of them over the years including the P226 9mm. They are a bit pricey, but seem to have very good reputations. He's also had a few other cool guns like the famous James Bond Walther PPK and his favorite revolver (the one he really kicks himself for selling) the Colt Python .357 Magnum.

for a 1st gun purchase/use

go with a revolver, simple, easy, no feed problems,
if you can't get it done with 6 shots, you better go back to practice shooting.
once you have experience with a firearm, and are comfortable, you will probably move up to an auto,
but again, the revolver( wheel gun) will be a good choice for 1st weapon, I'd get a 38/357, that way you have the option of either round.
if price is an issue, look at Taurus, Ruger. the "in" guns are the most pricey
( like sig, glock,kimber, etc)
if you have children at home....... please buy a secure safe, or gun lock !!!!!

if you have children at home....... please buy a secure safe, or gun lock !!!!!

I was going to say the same thing. I don't have to worry about kids myself, but you diffently will want to consider some type of 'gun safe'. I just got my permit a few months ago, and have tried both revolvers and autos. I settled on a Springfield .45 GI. I LOVE IT! Very accurate, and I conceal it pretty easly too! :D Probably to big for what your looking for though with the 5" barrel. I also have a nice little .380 the wife will be carrying too. :eek:

No kids at home, but I already have a safe just in case kids come over. Yeah I'm pretty well sold on the revolver for my first gun for the KISS factor and I think I would want something that is capable of both the .38/.357 caliber. I've heard the same things as what has been said here, if you can't hit them with 6 shots you might as well hand them the gun!:eek: