Grand National Aerocoupe! It's happening...

T-TYPE / GNX / GRAND NATIONAL / ITS STILL A REGAL HAHA CUT IT UP AWESOME WORK :wink::wink:

regal6003.jpg

any updates?

Finally getting back to work on the project. I've been digging seam sealer out of rear section of the car and then sandblasting the surface rust off. I've also been trying my luck at "leading". The roof of this car was a t-top and back in 2003 I installed a hard-top roof. I cut the roof where the factory put the lead and the cut caused some hairline cracks in the paint after about 4 years. So, while I have the car torn down again to be painted I might as well re-lead the seams like the factory done. These pictures show where I "leaded" the seam back on the "B' pillar. It's my first attempt at leading so this will be a learning experience. So far so good!

b-pillar-lead.jpg

b-pillar-lead1.jpg

Where'd you get the leading suplies? I think I'm going to need some for later myself. Looks good btw.

Leading is a lost art these days. We had an old timer at the shop I worked at that was awsome at it.

I bought the leading kit from Eastwood.

I had to get used to how hot to keep the metal and the lead to keep it from running off. You don't even get the metal hot enough to turn blue. If you do it's too hot. After some practice, it's just like using a BIG soldering gun and large solder.:eek: It files off easier than bondo and its flexable so it bends before it cracks. I think I'm gonna like leading instead of using bondo or glazing puddy.:cool:

i love using lead i used mine in the same spots when i did the body work on my gn looks good cant wait to see it done

There can be no good answer to this question.

I'm doing it so when I go to the GS Nationals I can pick out my car at first glance. Since the window will be as high as the roof and no lower than the trunk, I won't have to look at the rims to tell if it's actually my car... Even if you do have to look at the rims, there is a high possibility that many other GN's will have the same kind. I'm pretty sure my Aero will be the only one there out of 200 that will stand out like a sore thumb.:p

I'm doing it so when I go to the GS Nationals I can pick out my car at first glance. Since the window will be as high as the roof and no lower than the trunk, I won't have to look at the rims to tell if it's actually my car... Even if you do have to look at the rims, there is a high possibility that many other GN's will have the same kind. I'm pretty sure my Aero will be the only one there out of 200 that will stand out like a sore thumb.:p

LOL I actually jumped in the wrong GN once in the staging lanes at Norwalk. Nice project it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Looking forward to seeing how you address the decklid.

Couldn't ya just window chalk your name on the window? :p

You are crazy man, but glad you are happy with it. I wish I had your patience or fab skills.

You are crazy man, but glad you are happy with it.

I'm not too crazy about how it will look...I also think the aero's aren't that pretty. The real reason I'm doing it is because I'm wanting it to be a conversational piece.

I'm not too crazy about how it will look...I also think the aero's aren't that pretty. The real reason I'm doing it is because I'm wanting it to be a conversational piece.

Might make a nice TSO car, lol!

I hate leading....very time consuming when you're a novice. Anyway, here's what I've done so far. "C" pillar leading. About half way done applying the lead.

DSCF1606.JPG

Filed it down some...

DSCF1607.JPG

It's ugly but this is the way it looks before it's filed down smooth. I leaded down far enough so it can be blended in without any parting lines between the sheet metal and the lead.

DSCF1610.JPG

NOW...on to the Aerocoupe part of the project! I've done some cutting! I've cut the rear section out of the Grand National so I can weld in the Monte's rear section. I made a scribe mark on the original sheet metal while the quarter extensions and the tail lights were still installed. I then cut the section out so the Monte's tail section would fit.

DSCF1620.JPG

Here's the GN's setion cut out. It's really not that big...
DSCF1638.JPG

Both sides cut out. OMG! WHAT HAVE I DONE???!!!A GENUINE GRAND NATIONAL... RUINED! Hahaha!
DSCF1628.JPG

Here's the Aero tray and the rear section of a Monte placed on the rear...again.
DSCF1635.JPG

Hmmm....lines up pretty darn well and closed all the gaps...JUST RIGHT!
DSCF1630.JPG

DSCF1629.jpg

DSCF1631.JPG

DSCF1632.JPG

I left about a foot of the original trunk sealing edge so the Monte's rear section could be easily clamped down.
DSCF1633.JPG

DSCF1636.JPG