Grand National Aerocoupe! It's happening...

You really need some clecos. I may not have spelled it right but they're for fastening in sheet metal while assembly. I've been using them on mine and they work great. Even allow for some movement if you need to shift things around a bit. Looks good so faro

I'm liking this more and more every update! Haha! I can't wait to see how it looks when done!

You guys are going to like the pictures I post up here later tonight! Almost looks ready to install the trunk!:eek:

Here is the Monte's tail section clamped to the outside of the GN. You can see where I marked a line on the inside so I could cut off the overlapping metal. I want to butt the two pieces together and then weld them together making a seamless "factory" looking one piece rear panel. The panels still need to be tweaked a little and hammered out straight to get the bends and creases out.

DSCF1645.JPG

DSCF1643.JPG

This picture is after I cut the overlapping metal off. I now can place it on the inside of the GN's tail section.

DSCF1668.JPG

DSCF1669.JPG

Clamped on the inside....

DSCF1646.JPG

DSCF1647.JPG

DSCF1648.JPG

Looking forward to those pictures. I had thought about learning to lead with all the classic cars I have, but you know how that goes...

Now pictures with the tail lights and quarter extensions! This REALLY made the rear look finished and "factory" looking! Haha! :eek: Looks like it's ready to install the trunk already!

The sheet metal still has to be tweaked and hammered out to get it straight.

DSCF1650.JPG

DSCF1649.JPG

DSCF1652.JPG

DSCF1654.JPG

DSCF1664.JPG

DSCF1665.JPG

DSCF1656.JPG

DSCF1651.JPG

DSCF1657.JPG

This is about as far as I can go here at my house under the "shade tree". I'll need to do the rest while the car sits on a flat level surface so the body won't be twisted...or at least to keep it from being twisted while I weld everything together. BUT, before I start welding, I've got to sand blast the rear section and get things prepped for final assembly. I'm not sure how long this will be but I'll keep everyone posted.

I had thought about learning to lead with all the classic cars I have, but you know how that goes...

Leading on a horizontal surface is a piece of cake. Doing it on a vertical surface is much more challenging. You have to keep the lead at the perfect temperature so it's still soft to flatten out but not hot enough so it runs off to the floor. TIP: Don't wear shorts when leading! If some does roll off towards the floor...it won't get into your shoe.:eek:

Leading on a horizontal surface is a piece of cake. Doing it on a vertical surface is much more challenging. You have to keep the lead at the perfect temperature so it's still soft to flatten out but not hot enough so it runs off to the floor. TIP: Don't wear shorts when leading! If some does roll off towards the floor...it won't get into your shoe.:eek:

I know that feeling, especially when burning something with your cutting torches and it burns clean to the top of your foot! Done that more than once:mad:

Today I welded in the left rear section. I measured and cut it out so the panel will be butted against the existing body.

DSCF1741.JPG

The Monte's trunk sealing lip was a little wider than the GN's so I had to reconstruct a new sealing lip (more on this later).

DSCF1736.JPG

DSCF1746.JPG

I used a MIG welder to "spot weld" the panel together. All I have to do is pull the trigger on the MIG for about 1/4 of a second....just enough to burn new metal over the seam. If you hold the welder on too long it will just blow through the metal and cause a huge hole.

DSCF1743.JPG

Here it is after grinding it down.

DSCF1751.JPG

Here is the new seal lip. I just flattened out the original one and rebent a new one. That made the lip taller near the end. All I done was just sawed it off and finished welding it together.

DSCF1754.JPG

DSCF1755.JPG

Here it is with the taillight installed to check the fit.

DSCF1769.JPG

DSCF1767.JPG

Looks good. You're right about getting on and off the trigger. The big thing is making sure that the angle isn't very big. Hold the tip at 90 degrees from the weld and then move it off just a few degrees so it's about 70 degrees. I found this out on my rear quarter.

Not much of a fan.. Im all for keeping the GN's original appearance wise.. But to each his own, not to mention at least you do good work!

People just cant resist can they? Maybe thats part of the reason for starting the thread in the 1st place? ;)

They made over 20,000 GN's in 87. If he wants to paint it titty pink with orange polka-dots and put Barney the purple dinosaur on the hood, he can. This is America. If you do not like it, keep your opinions to yourself. He does excellent work and with his skills, he can turn it back original anytime he wants...:cool:

:biggrin:

If he wants to paint it titty pink with orange polka-dots and put Barney the purple dinosaur on the hood, he can. :biggrin:

Thanks! :mad: I was just about to post a thread on my new project with these colors on my GN! Dammit now I have to re-think a new color scheme! :biggrin:

I'm not a fan of the Aerocoupe look on a GN but i can say I'm all for something different. The car will now always be recognizable and one of a kind. I think showing your fabrication skills on this project has made most of us recognize that you are much better at it than most of us ever will be. Very cool idea, very nice work. Cant wait to see it in person someday.