Grand National Aerocoupe! It's happening...

I'm not a fan of the Aerocoupe look on a GN but i can say I'm all for something different. The car will now always be recognizable and one of a kind. I think showing your fabrication skills on this project has made most of us recognize that you are much better at it than most of us ever will be. Very cool idea, very nice work. Cant wait to see it in person someday.

^^^^ What Jeremy said...... way to be different, cant wait to see it.... you will definitely confuse a lot of people.... and i am sure we will see it in the magazines sometime....

Thanks guys!

Here is how I cut the trunk lids. I wanted them to slide together as you can see in the pictures.

DSCF1845.JPG

DSCF1846.JPG

Here at the two "slid" together like I thought they'd do.

DSCF1840.JPG

DSCF1844.JPG

However, the first thing I done was to make sure I centered all of the adjustments. This included both hinges that mount on the package tray, the hinges that mount on the trunk frame and the trunk latch to the trunk frame. Doing it this way insured me that I could make adjustments after fitting the GN's trunk skin on tip of it. I also checked to see if there was enough clearance for the trunk seal to fit properly.

DSCF1834.JPG

DSCF1892.JPG

DSCF1893.JPG

DSCF1894.JPG

Once the inner frame was centered I slid the two pieces together. I kept cutting the inner frame of the GN's trunk lid little by little until I got the perfect fit I wanted to the body lines and then tack welded them together.

DSCF1868.JPG

DSCF1869.JPG

DSCF1872.JPG

DSCF1873.JPG

DSCF1871.JPG

These pictures is when reality started to sink in. I just had to compare my photochop pic from 2008 to the real thing in 2010!!! WOW!

Photo shopped image from 2008....
31489110013_large.jpg

Today!

DSCF1883.JPG

DSCF1889.JPG

DSCF1891.JPG

The front of the trunk lid near the window is not tacked down but in 4 places. Once I get the front lip of the skin folded over I think it will lay exactly like the Monte's skin...it really has no choice since the Monte's frame has not been modified in that area.

I LOVE IT!!!!

I saw an aero monte a few years back get wrapped up on a tree from a drunk driver... the only salvagable parts were that window and tail lights!!!! Wish I grabbed them up!!! lol

John:biggrin:

Dare I say..... Pm me a price that would buy the car when its done..:eek:

I absolutley love this !You've done an excelent job on exicuting this project. Please lower it with a set of those 17 " Billet GN wheels ! I think that would look BITCHIN' My friend with a 88 aerocoupe also thinks that this is a rediculously cool project. Way to go !

did you get the fillers between the window and the rear 1/4's as well?... looks like all you really need to do is slide those in to fill the gaps and youre almost there!

Having pulled one of those rear windows, I give you some credit... that thing is a royal PITA to pull out.

PITA....yes. I pulled it in a salvage yard in Aug of 2008 and it was HOT. Luckily, all the heat seemed to help in the removal. I actually thought I was going to break the glass. I had to lay on my back on the rear seat pushing up on the glass with both my feet.:eek: And I wasn't pushing lightly either...

Ya, I got everything needed to do a complete conversion. The original Monte fillers are too narrow so I'll have to fabricate some wider ones. Pretty simple to do.

I think you should make it a hatchback and get rid of the crappy little trunk lid;). (just kidding)
Seriously, watching the video made me wonder, are you putting extra bracing in the back? I worry once you put it under full power, the stress may crack that big rear window:confused:

It looks simply Amazing :biggrin:

Haha...yes it's a small opening but I can still fit in there if I need to get to the back.

Ya, I'm going to install a brace behind the seat. Actually, all the Monte Aerocoupes had a factory installed brace behind the rear seat. I flat out forgot about getting the one from the donor car.:mad: