Grand National Aerocoupe! It's happening...

I give you props for the good work you have done. IT takes a lot of guts to do what you did , I don't like the aerocoupe but i have to admit i like the way it turned out. Looks clean almost factory built.

I'm learning as I go so it may look like shade tree job. :redface: (who am I trying to kid....it IS a shade tree job...REALLY! :D Serious, I'm really doing it under a shade tree...a really HUGE one...see the shadow it's casting and how it dwarfs my Turbo Regal! :eek:

shadetree.JPG

You my friend, ARE THE BEST SHADE TREE MECHANIC IN THE WORLD!!!!

STOP!!!! You guys are making me blush! :tongue: Hahaha! Actually, I do appreciate all the praise on the project Thanks!

As of right now, the aero project is coming along pretty slow. I'm doing some leading work on the "B" and "C" pillar and I'm having to fix some dents on the upper rear edge of the roof where a tree limb fell on it.:mad: This is the reason there's been no updates on this thread since it doesn't pertain to the "aerocoupe" part of the project.

I have to get the silver Turbo Regal I just restored car out of the garage so I can start working on the aero at night. I don't want to get all that sanding dust all over or under the hood of it. I'm having a carport installed just for that reason.

STOP!!!! You guys are making me blush! :tongue: Hahaha! Actually, I do appreciate all the praise on the project Thanks!

I guess this is why you don't hang out with us anymore:frown: You've just too famous for us common people.

I guess this is why you don't hang out with us anymore:frown: You've just too famous for us common people.

Ha...I just live in the boonies. :D I'll be in your neck-of-the-woods this coming up weekend on the 9th.

Time to fire up the old GN Aerocoupe thread again! :D

2011 was not a good year for me. I was jobless from Oct 2010 until March 2011 and was I was helping my mother care for my father during that time. Then, on April 8th 2011 he passed away. He was helping me back when I was doing most of the work on the aerocoupe. After he passed, just two months later my Grandmother died too....she was my fathers mother. She was 92 and he was 72. After such a bad start to 2011, I started keeping my mother occupied to keep her mind off of him and his mother. Seemed like we were going places and going out to eat all the time. Fortunately, I've got a another good job and at the end of 2011 I decided to pull myself out of a depressed state and begin working on the GN again. I started working on the project again at the end of last year and, I have it torn apart to do some body prep before painting. I haven't posted pictures because bodywork and painting isn't related to the installation of the "aerocoupe" part of the project and I don't see the need to post it on the board. However, this part does pertain the aero soooo....HERE WE GO AGAIN.......

I decided to put in a factory brace behind the seat instead of the aftermarket kit.

DSCF5100.JPG

DSCF5105.JPG

DSCF5106.JPG

Here is the surface sandblasted out before welding.

DSCF5109.JPG

Here is the Monte SS Aero brace positioned in place and ready to be plug welded.. It was a pretty easy job to do and it makes it look like it's factory installed!

DSCF5110.JPG

DSCF5112.JPG

DSCF5115.JPG

Welded in place...

DSCF5209.JPG

Glad to hear your back on your feet! I really enjoyed watching this build progress I just found a factory brace that is ready for the weld in keeps a clean factory look compared to the bolt in aftermarkets!
keep up the good work!
Chris

Preparing to install the package tray and the rear seat brace...permanently.

This picture shows where all the original holes are drilled in the package tray for mounting purposes.

DSCF5130.JPG

Here you can see that there's a brace that rivets to the body of the car and then the package is rivets to it.

DSCF5136.JPG

Since I wanted to keep the original holes and not drill new ones, I temporarily attached the underside brace to the package tray. I then placed the whole package tray on top of the car as if it was already attached. I marked the body of the car at the end of the brace with a line so I could later use the brace as a guide to drill new holes in the body. This will allow me to drill through the brace using the original rivet mounting points. Talk about OCD...jeez!

DSCF5132.JPG

Here are all the holes drilled in the body.

DSCF5137.JPG

Here is the brace riveted in place.

DSCF5138.JPG

The Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe originally had the rivets installed from the top going through into the truck. Since rivets are usually sharp and flare out when they are installed I chose to install them from the bottom upward. This will keep things you throw in the trunk safer (as well as your hands) from getting scratched.

DSCF5141.JPG

Now that the brace is installed to locate the package tray on top of the trunk opening, I've drilled some holes in the body to attach the package tray in the sides. These holes will act as "spot welds" when they are welded from the bottom.

I'm thinking about drilling some more holes out between each of the holes I've alredy drilled. That would give it plenty of strength to keep it from popping loose.

DSCF5155.JPG

Welding inside the holes from the bottom-side to the package tray will hold everything in place permanently. Welding in the holes is called "plug welding".

DSCF5156.JPG

Before welding in the tray, I put some seam sealer beneath it to seal it from possible water leaks. Then, I used two screwdrivers positioned through a couple of rivet holes and clamped the tray down to the body.

DSCF5165.JPG

Once I clamped the package tray down, I installed rivets across the center of the package tray where I had already riveted the underbrace. Once I got that finished, I drilled out the rest of the rivet holes in the body of the GN at the front of the tray where the factory speakers sit. Then I riveted that part of the try to the car. A total of 40 rivets for the entire tray!

DSCF5214.JPG

Getting ready to plug weld it in permanently.

DSCF5216.JPG

I still have to clean up this seam area up before painting. Tried to make it look factory.

DSCF5217.JPG

While I was adding seam sealer to the package tray, I went ahead and put in on the rear of the car also.

DSCF5219.JPG

That is super cool! WOW I could never do that kind of work ! Going to be sweet! Now you need a T-Type done like it and have one of each :)

This is a great project and glad to see you are continuing with it. Nice to see some progress. Sorry for your losses.

Old video of the car in motion.

[video=youtube_share;Pi7RwNPpLOY]http://youtu.be/Pi7RwNPpLOY[/video]

Vern, very sorry for your losses. I remember your dad when you came to get the 109 few years ago. You do amazing work.

Steve,

I remember getting that engine. Fit right in the trunk of my Malibu! You know...that engine had a rolled fillet turbo crank in it even though it was a NA engine.

Not going to lie..may be the ugliest thing ive ever seen done to a Gn....just my .02. But excellent work in doing it :p Sorry to hear about 2011, I dont think it was a good year for most of us -.-