got ripped off on eBay for $6,100

Fast4Ward said:
wow. this could have easily happend to me or anyone for that matter. I had a look at the ebay auction. The only thing that might have given any indication is how the person says that they just got the car and now have no room for it. Otherwise the auction could have fooled anyone.
Good luck and hope you get something back from ebay insurance. This was a wake up call for me and I'm sure to anyone else looking to buy a buick.
Thnx for sharing.

****Not just looking for a Buick, but pretty much for everything on E-Bay. I had a somewhat similar problem with a non car related product from a seemingly legit seller that turned out to be bogus. I only ended up getting my money back after a lot of hassle, and making a case that this particular seller had a pattern of trying to scam people. It sucks that there are people like this looking to scam on people. It really makes even legit big transactions nerve wracking with all of the hoops one has to go through to check each other out.. Nothing is foolproof... Scammers always figure out a way to get around safeguards.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

This is why I would never buy a car without looking at it in person .. And of course knowing what your lookin for !!
You have a very tough battle ahead . Keep us posted . May give other's hands on experiance .

Fast4Ward said:
wow. this could have easily happend to me or anyone for that matter. I had a look at the ebay auction. The only thing that might have given any indication is how the person says that they just got the car and now have no room for it. Otherwise the auction could have fooled anyone.
Good luck and hope you get something back from ebay insurance. This was a wake up call for me and I'm sure to anyone else looking to buy a buick.
Thnx for sharing.

I'd tend to disagree here. One big indicator for me was the pictures. The cars paint looks like crap even in the bad pictures.

hrd2k said:
Well, I didn't have time to look the car over because the guy was rushing me. Did I learn a lesson? Yes. Will I be more careful in the future? Yes. The reason why I had to take delivery is because I ALREADY PAID HIM AND THE TITLE WAS ALREADY TRANSFERRED TO MY NAME BEFORE I EVER SAW THE CAR! I was stuck in this situation. Anyway, the buick dealership said there are so many things wrong with this vehicle that they won't even touch it. Looks like I have to take it to a restoration shop for an estimate.

Unfortunately you keep coming up with excusses why you got this car in the condition it's in. I hate to say it, but you brought everything on your self. You openly made huge mistakes at every turn in this deal!!! You were terribly blinded by (probably because it was relatively cheap) the car and overlooked EVERYTHING, both during the sale and when you picked it up.
Technically you didn't get screwed, you screwed yourself, every chance you got.

You're stuck with it now though, because you no longer have a legal leg to stand on. Once you took delivery that's it, deal done. ESPECIALLY NOW since you took it with a bill of sale that states "sold as is". That is legally binding in virtually every state. You slammed the door shut on that one.

I usually have a great deal of sympathy for folks getting shafted like this, but.... It's hard.

TurboDave said:
I usually have a great deal of sympathy for folks getting shafted like this, but.... It's hard.

I think we could all agree it was more or less a $6100 lesson learned, rather than getting screwed out of $6100.

It is unfortuante that the car was misrepresented somewhat in the auction too. That definatly doesn't make things any easier.

First off... sorry to hear about your 'lesson learned'.

Quick question about this. Does this vehicle have a free and clear title?? Reason I ask is because I just recently bought a car (not a GN) that had a salvage title on it. In Maryland, a vehicle with a title problem like that not only has to go thru the MSI safety inspection, but also has to be brought to the MVA (everyone's calling it DMV, but it's MVA in Maryland) where the VINs are inspected and checked to make sure they match. I had to do this with my latest purchase. Now my new title says something like "retitled salvage" or something like that.

I don't know how NY handles titles, but if this thing was THAT screwed up, either he did it all, or the title is screwed.

I don't think that'll be too much help to you now. As the others have said, it's a done deal, pretty much. But that may be something you'll run into.

BTW, have you contacted the person who sold you the car?

gn85 said:
I don't know how NY handles titles, but if this thing was THAT screwed up, either he did it all, or the title is screwed.

NY is one of the toughest states to get a salvage title car through. Like most states they have their own theft prevention inspection but their real picky about paperwork and pictures. Also, they won't take 'reconstructed' titles from other states. So if you have a salvage car, go through your states inspection and get a 'good' title NY will make you go through it all again if you want to register the car in their state.

Jim