got ripped off on eBay for $6,100

hrd2k

eBay item # 4550749999

seller eBay ID: triciaferrell

Beware of dealing with Sean Hancock or Tricia Hancock in Oakland Gardens/Bayside, NY. They ripped me off big time. They sold me what was supposed to be an 86 GN and they totally misrepresented the vehicle. Yes, I made some mistakes and overlooked some things that should have been "red flags". I was just so excited to get the car that I wasn't thinking straight. This guy sold me a car that is worthless. Upon taking the vehicle for Maryland inspection, I found out just how bad it was. The vehicle has major electrical problems, the wrong frame (the mechanic thinks it is the frame from a Buick Skylark), almost every part of the suspension is shot, tires are shot (even though he said they were new tires in the auction), the whole car was spray painted in a garage or back yard by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Stay away from this guy and beware of anything coming out of Oakland Gardens, NY or Bayside, NY. This vehicle looks like it came from a chop-shop because the only VIN information I can find is on the main VIN plate. If anyone wants to see pictures, email me and I will show you exactly what the car looks like. Oh yeah, and it has major rust damage even though the seller stated it didn't appear to have any rust. I wish someone would go up there is put this guy in the hospital for a couple of years, but he isn't worth going to jail over. He is just your common everyday crook using eBay to rip people off. I have contacted paypal to dispute the $500 deposit and I have filed a claim with the auction insurance company that eBay uses for VPP. I want to take that car and shove it up this guys A$$! Beware crooks on eBay!

Just a quick question. When you went to pick up the car and saw the car had been spray painted, the tires were shot, and major rust damage why did you go through wih the transaction? His misrepresentation would have voided the auction automatically. You should have walked away from it and pursued your deposit through E-Bay and/or PayPal.

I took delivery at night so I couldn't hardly see anything at all. I was so excited about the car that I didn't use as much common sense as I should have. It wasn't until I got on the road with it that I realized what was wrong and by that time it was too late. Plus he already had my money. I asked him for my money back, but he refused. Now that I look back on it, I shouldn't have taken delivery at night.

thats a shame Sorry to hear..

FYI- the Skylark (at least the last generation) was a fwd without a frame..

BAD GN

Some advise I can give......Crooks like this give us dealers a bad name!!!!!!
I am an auto dealer in NC. The advise I give will reflect NC DMV and not your state.
1) You need to contact your local DMV Enforcement and explain that you have a car with a different frame. DMV Inspectors inspect wrecked cars that are fixed everyday for body repairmen. Point out the only VIN plate. If it is not the original then a DMV inspector must have issued this vin. This is a red flag. It means the car was stolen and recovered or something when wrong with the first VIN. Get advise from them on what they can do to help return this car. Only focus on the things that are not correct with paperwork and vin locatons. Do not tell them how much you do not like the purchase, or the tires and paint. Keep this for item #2
Try this number for NY DMV 518-486-4714 ask for a DMV enforcement officer.
2)You need to find a lawyer that deals in used car dealers. Any paperwork discrepencies and I mean any little flaw will give a lawyer fuel to burn. Trust me!! A lawyer can burn a car dealer with ease and put you on top. Hey you might keep the car and get all your money back. In NC it happens quite often. GET A LAWYER!!! GOOD LUCK;)

BAD GN

I am not sure if the numbers are direct to DMV enforcement but they can get you to someone that can get you the number.

MD DMV # 301-729-4550 ask for a DMV enforcement officer.:cool:

How are you certain the frame has been changed ???? Plus it is NOT illegal to change a frame !! :confused:

I am sure because you can see it in the pictures and the mechanic states such. The link to the pictures is not dead, it just takes a while to come up because there are about 40 pictures on there of the car that I took. Plus it is hosted on my home PC and even though I have DSL, the upload speed is not super fast. Please look at the pictures and let me know what you all think. If you are still having trouble pulling them up, I will post them on yahoo or something. Thanks for the information.

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. It is down. I will post another link around 7:00p ET tonight. I really apprecaite your help guys.

BAD GN

Grumpy you are correct on the frame but different states have different rules when it comes to repairs or maybe in this case it might be seen as an alteration and that requires the dealer to disclose it to the buyer. This form for discloser is Federal mandated. Big time trouble (jail time) if a dealer fails to disclose major changes or damage history.

hrd2k

You have a great start if a mechanics states the frame is changed. A mechanic if ASE certified is the best thing going in court. In court they are considered the professionals and know what is correct. Used car dealers with a retail license is also considered a professional in court. Any discrepancies with paperwork, safety of the car or damaged not disclosed will get your money back or like I said earlier your money and keep the car.

Don’t waste time contact a DMV enforcement officer and a lawyer who deals in auto dealer lawsuits.

Thanks for the great advice. I am going to get my pictures up tonight so that everyone can see the damage I am talking about. I had the vehicle towed to a Buick dealership today and they are going to run up a cost estimate for me on the damages. I am currently working with eBay's insurance company (auctioninsurance.com) so I will see where that goes. If they refuse to pay, I will likely go after the seller in a civil case. I can promise one thing though, I will surely be a lot more cautious with future transactions since this incident. I will make another post when I have verified that the site with my pictures is up and running. I want everyone to take a look at how bad the vehicle is. I can't believe that he spray painted the car in his back yard for crying out loud. I am still fuming over this, but I am not going to let it go. It is not so much about the money at this point, it is about the whole idea that someone can rip you off like this on eBay and there is very little you can do about it. I should have insisten on taking delivery during the day or on the weekend where I would have more time and daylight to make a thorough examination of the vehicle before I drove off with it. I also shouldn't have sent him the money before I saw the car, but that was the only way for me to get the tags so that I could drive it back. After talking to my Bank and the police I hear that this is happening a lot lately. Not just on eBay either, but on other sites like autotrader and others. I guess in this day and age you just can't trust anyone to be honest. It is really a shame. Will check back in when I get the pictures up. Thanks again guys.

Working pictures link!

Apparently verizon somehow blocks incoming http requests on the normal port 80 so I had to change my webserver to listen on a different port. Try the following link and let me know what you all think of the pictures. Thanks.

http://hrd2k.shacknet.nu:99/86gn/86gn.htm

Re: BAD GN

Originally posted by jswmotor
Grumpy you are correct on the frame but different states have different rules when it comes to repairs or maybe in this case it might be seen as an alteration and that requires the dealer to disclose it to the buyer. This form for discloser is Federal mandated. Big time trouble (jail time) if a dealer fails to disclose major changes or damage history.

how about this car ??? it is 20 years old :confused: how would you know a frame change had been made 10 years before ?? I have sold frames around here in the rust belt :D ... this is also goin on with "restored" cars .. hell I know people that built a car around a VIN ... this should be interesting :cool:

dammmm ...looks like you have a northern rust bucket .. I think ya have a long fight ahead ... Was this sold "as is as shown" ?? ...ok on to the pics ... wheel spacers do not mean that the car has the wrong frame .. those are Trans Am wheels and I guess he didnt get 4 fronts :confused: ...so you would have to use spacers ...ya dangerous !! BUT doesn't mean its the wrong frame .
new mounts and body bushings ... To me if they were that sloppy with the rest of the car why would they replace body bushings ... I would think they would leave the old ones in so not to draw attension to the frame (IF in fact it was changed )
Space different on the frame ... sorry but thats normal .. usually if its perfect it has been done so by a fussey owner . Ya I have done a few .
Primer on windows ?? Ever had Macco paint a car ??
No VIN on the door ... Most have fallen off over the years . Especially in the northern climate's :(
Sterring wheel is correct ...
Sorry to tell you this stuff but just wanted you to be informed to .. I think ya have a tuff road ahead ... Hopefulley everything works out for ya .

this will be interesting:cool:

Originally posted by grumpy
how about this car ??? it is 20 years old how would you know a frame change had been made 10 years before ?? I have sold frames around here in the rust belt ... this is also goin on with "restored" cars .. hell I know people that built a car around a VIN ...

No vin on the frame, no proof of a change. Selling a frame to replace a rusted one is not a problem. Replacing a frame to repair insurance salvaged car and dealer does not disclose the buyer is. Individulas that repair them at home without an insurance company check is in the same boat but who's lookin:eek: Restored cars are not an issue as long as it was not salvaged first. Building one around a vin......no problem if it has no previous salvage but whos looking:eek: