got ripped off on eBay for $6,100

Grumpy, I found out later on that it is the correct steering wheel. Those shouldn't be trans am wheels. They are supposed to be GNX rims. If they are GNX rims, I doubt they are originals (most likely replica). The bill of sale says as-is, but the auction is why I am fighting him about. He misrepresented it in the auction and that is the binding contract. In my opinion, this is probably a salvaged car, but the person who fixed it up did it theirself so that they could get more money for it. They know that a salvage title seriously decreases the value of the car. The biggest problem I have is that he represented in the auction that the car had never been in a serious accident. We will see what happens. Thanks again for your help guys.

Re: Working pictures link!

Originally posted by hrd2k
Apparently verizon somehow blocks incoming http requests on the normal port 80 so I had to change my webserver to listen on a different port. Try the following link and let me know what you all think of the pictures. Thanks.

http://hrd2k.shacknet.nu:99/86gn/86gn.htm

It's because hosting violates your terms of service. They will block any attempt at hosting no matter what port you use. If you keep it up they will yank your account. BTDT.

Sorry to hear you got screwed. I did something similar with my first car - an '88 Mustang GT convertible. "Irrational exuberance" led me to believe everything the seller was telling me. Even if the car were in perfect shape I overpaid. He said the car had never been hit, yet it was obvious it had been hit on every corner. The "5.0" emblem was even missing on one side - I didn't even notice it until a week later.

Hopefully you'll get something back from the insurance, but I wouldn't count on it. On eBay or off, used cars are usually 'caveat emptor'.

Jim

The seller sent me a carfax stating the vehicle had never been in a major accident. But like I said, that is only what the DMV and insurance companies report. If someone wrecked it, and then fixed it in his/her back yard, there is no record of it ever being totalled.

Verizon sucks. They also filter your email and don't tell you about it. Then everytime you can't get email from an individual or domain, you have to submit a white-list request which takes them forever to complete. Shame shame shame on verizon! If they yank me, I will go back to comcast. Cable is faster anyway.

Verizon sucks. They also filter your email and don't tell you about it. Then everytime you can't get email from an individual or domain, you have to submit a white-list request which takes them forever to complete. Shame shame shame on verizon! If they yank me, I will go back to comcast. Cable is faster anyway.

I know. I gave up on trying to get all my e-mail to my Verizon account. I tried hosting, too, and I couldn't get it to work properly. Users got random strange errors that they blamed on my directory structure (total BS). For your purposes, though, you should be able to use the 'webspace' they provide to host a simple page with pics instead of trying to run your own server.

Jim

hrd2k- I can see how you were mislead over an internet purchase, but you didn't do your own homework at the time of delivery. No offense, but your are going to have a hard time winning over lawyers by telling them your excitement got the best of you. Your photos draw attention to major things that are very noticable at night or anytime. The time to address buyers remorse was at delivery.

You highlighted the gas tank weld, rotten floor boards, tires, primer over spray, loose grille, missing gnx louver, missing VIN stickers, torn up wheel, no emergency brake release, no hood release, wrong cruise lever, torn up seats, missing auto window controls, wrong door pull strap covers, exposed wiring, surface rust, that paint job is not a 10 footer or a 1 footer, missing trunk carpet.

All these things are openly obvious during a night sale. There is no way these items could have been overlooked. I think you learned a major lesson. Day sales, flashlight, screwdriver test (rust), full inspection. This car is hardly worth $3500 in my state, given its current condition.

Good luck.

Tyson

Originally posted by TYRFRYR
hrd2k- I can see how you were mislead over an internet purchase, but you didn't do your own homework at the time of delivery. No offense, but your are going to have a hard time winning over lawyers by telling them your excitement got the best of you. Your photos draw attention to major things that are very noticable at night or anytime. The time to address buyers remorse was at delivery.

All these things are openly obvious during a night sale. There is no way these items could have been overlooked. I think you learned a major lesson. Day sales, flashlight, screwdriver test (rust), full inspection. This car is hardly worth $3500 in my state, given its current condition.

Good luck.

Tyson

*****I'm sorry that you have had this happen to you, but I also looked at the pics on your site and Tyson is right - no way you couldn't have noticed many of the problems you have highlighted if you took some time to look at the car. Even without a flashlight you could have seen the condition of the seats, the paint job, the obvious bodywork, missing lugs, the wiring hanging down inside the drivers side compartment, etc.. etc...

The suspension and frame issues are another story, and that is more easily hidden, especially if you don't exactly know what you are looking at, etc.. but I would have walked away from that deal just seeing some of the other issues that have been highlighted above and in other posts.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have dealt with e-bay regarding some purchases in the past that did not work out due to obvious and blatant misrepresentation on the part of the seller for merchandise I purchased sight unseen.

Amazingly, I actually got my money back, after some major haggling, and the use of a lawyer, etc.. and the luck of having contacted other buyers who had had the same thing happen to them from the same seller... Showing a pattern of fraudulant behavior, etc..

In your case, if you can prove the car was some kind of chop shop special or that the previous owner knowingly sold you stolen goods that you found out about later, you might have a case, but after looking at your pictures, and the fact you personally took delivery of the car, I think it will be a hard sell to get e-bay to do anything about this, or as Tyson pointed out, getting a lawyer to help you get your money back.

Billy

Well, I didn't have time to look the car over because the guy was rushing me. Did I learn a lesson? Yes. Will I be more careful in the future? Yes. The reason why I had to take delivery is because I ALREADY PAID HIM AND THE TITLE WAS ALREADY TRANSFERRED TO MY NAME BEFORE I EVER SAW THE CAR! I was stuck in this situation. Anyway, the buick dealership said there are so many things wrong with this vehicle that they won't even touch it. Looks like I have to take it to a restoration shop for an estimate.

Well, I didn't have time to look the car over because the guy was rushing me. Did I learn a lesson? Yes. Will I be more careful in the future? Yes. The reason why I had to take delivery is because I ALREADY PAID HIM AND THE TITLE WAS ALREADY TRANSFERRED TO MY NAME BEFORE I EVER SAW THE CAR! I was stuck in this situation. Anyway, the buick dealership said there are so many things wrong with this vehicle that they won't even touch it. Looks like I have to take it to a restoration shop for an estimate.

Honestly you would be better off to sell this one "as is", take your expensive "lesson" and go buy another car. You could easily put $25k into that car to make it "right".

You have a good point. I do need to get the estimate though because I have a claim in with ebay's insurance company.

update

I took the vehicle to Anderson Performance Automotive. They are going to run up an estimate for me. I will post another update when I have more information.

Man I just know from experience that it will cost a LOT of money to make that car "right". I paid $5000 for my 87 T that looked like a show car compared to yours. I then put $7k into paint and body work to repair little rust spots etc. All in I had over $20k into that car.

In retrospect, I had a lot of fun fixing the car, but could have been dollars ahead if I would have bought a cleaner nicer car to start.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Don't feel too bad. I would have payed that for the car from what the add says. Mine was in worse shape when I bought it for sure. I have so much more in it than what it's worth it has become a daily driver now. Is it worth the hassle of law suits....IMO no. Can it be fixed up...yes. Due to the amount of rot and such will it ever bring good money later....no. Get it drivable (safely),clean it up cosmetically and have some fun with it. Part it out when it gets tooo expensive to keep up with and recoup some of your money or transfer the parts to another car that needs help. I was in your shoes with my first one and it does suck, but learn from it and go on. Good TR's/GN's are going to bring big money soon, so keep looking and have the next one inspected by someone you trust.

Update

Took it to Bill Anderson who has several Gn and he works on them all the time. He said he doesn't want to fix this car and this car is pretty much only worth a parts car. I am going to sue this jerk for doing this to me. I am also going to make sure it is a lot harder to rip people off like this (however I can). Thank you all for your help.

Ken

correction

I am NOT going to sue Bill Anderson, he was the only one who would actually write up an estimate. My previous post probably sounded like I was going to sue him. I AM going to sue Sean and Tricia Hancock for selling me the piece of $hit!

well sorry to hear ya couldn't do anything with the car BUT I think you are goin to throw good $$$$ after bad :eek: NOT to mention all the aggravation that will go with it .. Good Luck !!! ummmmm why don't ya just sell it an take a small bath an take the $$$$ you are goin to waste chasing this clown down and just get another car ?? Just thinkin out loud :cool:

wow. this could have easily happend to me or anyone for that matter. I had a look at the ebay auction. The only thing that might have given any indication is how the person says that they just got the car and now have no room for it. Otherwise the auction could have fooled anyone.
Good luck and hope you get something back from ebay insurance. This was a wake up call for me and I'm sure to anyone else looking to buy a buick.
Thnx for sharing.