Got my motor back from Dan @ DLS...WOW

Low 9's and pretty easily is an oxymoron. You may make the power, but actually doing it is another thing. 8 second cars go low 9's pretty easily.

I got my motor back from Dan yesterday and the first time I saw it my mouth dropped to the floor. What a work of art. Definitely the best in the business. I just hope it runs as good as it looks! It did come with a pretty hefty price tag but you get what you pay for IMO. I can't wait to get everything done on this car. Two thumbs up for DLS!:D

l_4c303f10bd320d3f31507d905dbf3447.jpg

l_1ff21b8e5f0ea277f5f6507c607fad0e.jpg

l_061c904213a9ca76da04a47d7c6e317b.jpg

l_0c0e0d58c6f6ddcb7beab633281be9dc.jpg

l_1e815fe4417f4f58825f638996880cbe.jpg

AWESOME!!! I know the feeling. The day I got my DLS engine I felt the same way. Dan is great. That is a work of art!!!!!! Good luck and you will know you made a wise choice the first time at the track:wink:

Both of mine weighed 3200lbs without me in them, nothing stripped.

Right on. I have no fiberglass stuff on the car. Still have most factory options too. No A/C helps. Aluminum heads helps. Alumastar wheels helps. Fuel cell and other upgrades helps.

Low 9's and pretty easily is an oxymoron. You may make the power, but actually doing it is another thing. 8 second cars go low 9's pretty easily.

OK I'll retract the "easily" part. But it should be able to run low 9's with the turbo I have but again I won't even try to push it that hard because this is mostly a solid street cruiser. I'm not going to be racing in any classes or nothin...I prefer to stay away from all the politics involved:D

Nice looking engine. I don't supoose you'll let us in on how much a work of art like that goes for?

Nice looking engine. I don't supoose you'll let us in on how much a work of art like that goes for?

It doesn't matter if I say how much it is. Total cost was $13K. Not like I'm anyone special. He would charge the same price for anyone I'd imagine. I know it seems like a lot of money and IT IS. But I wouldn't pay it to anyone else except Dan because of his reputation and work. I don't want to touch my motor for a VERY long time now...just enjoy it!:D

Most of the cost came from the little stuff like the pulley setup, porting and matching everything, distributor setup, fuel rail setup, etc. I'm sure it would be ALOT less if you have just the shortblock done.

I forgot to mention he totally redid my GN1 heads. He ported them, changed all the valves, new springs, roller cam, etc...which all that really added to the cost as well. I started from scratch on this thing.

It doesn't matter if I say how much it is. Total cost was $13K. Not like I'm anyone special. He would charge the same price for anyone I'd imagine. I know it seems like a lot of money and IT IS. But I wouldn't pay it to anyone else except Dan because of his reputation and work. I don't want to touch my motor for a VERY long time now...just enjoy it!:D

Most of the cost came from the little stuff like the pulley setup, porting and matching everything, distributor setup, fuel rail setup, etc. I'm sure it would be ALOT less if you have just the shortblock done.

I forgot to mention he totally redid my GN1 heads. He ported them, changed all the valves, new springs, roller cam, etc...which all that really added to the cost as well. I started from scratch on this thing.

Good for you Don, alot of people see the price and flip out. But believe it or not Dan does not make a ton of money on these things. Due to the fact that he is so anal it usually costs him money when custom fab stuff comes up, especailly loses money when redoing the heads. I spent a great majority of time talking to Dan over the winter when he helped me with my combo, and he educated me on the amount of time to do things to his spec. Dan does it all himself and works around the clock to the wee hours in the morning to help us Buick guys out. If actual time to cost factor was actually on the bill you would pay double for what he does. Dan outta get himself a conning machine cause this guy just doesn't stop. Its a good thing we don't live close to one another because I would probably have a restaining order from his premises because I would be there all the time picking his brain:p
If your car is mainly gonna be on the street, why such a big turbo? I have the same setup in a 274 witha 70 GTQ and it feels like naturally aspirated. Instant spool and crazy top end at low boost. I think you will have a blast with a smaller turbo on your combo. TSM guys are going bottom 9's with 70,71 turbos. Just a thought. On ya, I want sound clips, pics of install and the whole nine yards.

Very similar to my build, and the stroker came from DLS. Problem I'm having right now is that I can't get my boost below 23, and with only 60lb injectors and the alky cranked to the max, I'm still running out of fuel!!!!!!!!!

Time to look at another fuel system upgrade...........

WOW! That looks great!!

You should get a back up 70 turbo and come TSM racing with all of us:smile:

BTW, what is the PN on that dist cap?

I could have gone with a 70 but for the same price I got the 76. I don't think I'll have a problem spooling it because for one it's dual ball bearing and for two, I'm running 250 CI, roller cam setup, and ported GN1s. Plenty of flow. Plus I'm running a non lockup 3500 stall. My goal is to run solid on straight 93 pump gas and low boost (say around 15 lbs). This car will be fast enough on the street and I don't need to get in trouble. Plus I just like having a big turbo to brag about to the locals:tongue:

Should do good on 93. Last year my car (stock stroke, 70 turbo, the rest of the combo very similar to yours and car at 3550lbs) went 10.4 @ 131 on dr's with no alchy, 10 gallons of 93 and about 2 gallons of race gas (for insurance.) Good luck!

Dan is a valuable resource to the Buick racers.. And like my grand dad always said, "you get what you pay for!"

Very nice peice.Good luck with it.
Dan is definetly a craftsmen.It looks great