Good street manners camshaft replacement

There's no real gain in switching cams unless yours is no good. Springs there definitely is. I have near stock lift roller cams that don't require any ex guide clearancing. The gain would be durability and the ability to run higher spring pressures. Switching cams won't just add usable rpm to a turbocharged engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The camshaft thought was more of a "while I'm in there..." moment. I'm definitely going to do some rebuilding and mild head work on a spare pair of stock heads and a fresh timing chain.
Oil leaks and cleaning up little loose ends and this doesn't look good items are at the top of my list.
I figured at being 30 years old, the camshaft could use some freshening/upgrading to a more modern roller setup, but if the factory cam is good I'll just do the gaskets.
I'd like to lean towards use of factory parts with tasteful mods, gradually increasing performance, as opposed to purchasing a Stage II motor on my credit card.

I do appreciate the answers, I'm probably asking the wrong questions and going about it all ass backwards!

There are no wrong questions, only wrong answers. :confused:

To simplify your dilemma, you should first determine a clear goal of performance, use and budget for your GN in the foreseeable future. You can always add or change the details as you progress.

Once you arrive at a goal, I am sure you can find a GN owner who has done just about the same exact build, then you can use that information and experience for a blueprint as your starting point.

With that done, you can then easily focus on the big, expensive stuff as well as the details.

What's your budget, and how fast do you want to go? If I still had my stock GN, it'd get alky, 60# injectors, fuel pump, XFI (to run without maf etc), converter, turbo, bigger intercooler, alum driveshaft, 1350 yokes, moser axles, arp wheel studs, full trans rebuild (spend at least $2k on that) leaving heads and cam alone. If I did pull the heads, then bowl port only, leave stock cam in there.
I would do this also^^^^
and tune it for 11.50s and have a blast on the streets , 11 sec cars are real fun off the track, you can always turn it up a bit if you do go to the strip and look for a number .

I guess my goal is to have as stout of a setup as I can reliably and comfortably drive on the street, without shaking my fillings out or twisting the car apart!
I like to drive, not process quarter mile slips, so I'm leaning towards a conservative build. 11's would be nice and to crack a 10.xx would be nice if thats realistic with keeping it street friendly.

The link below may help you in some way and be useful in seeing what stock parts can do.

http://rjcracing.com/speed-recipies/11-sec-recipe-updated/