Good morning, Americans...it's FRIDAY

I'm missing a day!

There's a day missing out of my life! I thought today was Thursday (or as they say in the North East -Toysday). :eek:

Where did the missing day go (no offense to the Italians here)?

Looks like the games have already begun!

It's FRIDAY!

And on this day in 1988, everybody's least favorite stooge Joe Besser died.

Joe Besser's real name is Joe Besser. He was the only Stooge who used his real name. Joe was named Shemp's replacement in January of 1956. oe was totally different from the other third Stooges. He definetely had his own style. He had a sissy-like character, but he was the only third Stooge who dared to hit Moe back with regularity. Joe also took less hits than the other Stooges, because he had a clause in his contract that prohibited Moe from doing bodily harm to him. So, Larry took most of the hits in the Stooge comedies with Joe. Joe's tenure as a Stooge was very short-lived. After two years and only sixteen comedies, Columbia Studios axed the Stooges series, leaving the boys unemployed. Joe's wife also suffered a heart attack around this time, so Joe left the Stooges to care for her.

Joe was born in 1907 to Morris and Fanny Besser. He, like Moe, Larry, Curly, and Shemp, was an orthodox Jew. Joe, like the other Stooges, was interested in show business at an early age, but, unlike the others, his family encouraged him to become an actor.

Joe got his first job as a magician's assistant in 1920, at the age of thirteen. He worked as assistants to magicians and circus performers for several years before finally going into vaudeville. He toured with several theatre circuits for over ten years. It was during this time that he met Erna Kay, a dancer, and they married in 1932. She was nicknamed "Ernie."

In 1938, Joe signed an exclusive contract with Columbia Pictures. He made his big screen debut in a 1938 All-Star Comedy short called "Cuckoorancho." He made several films at Columbia over the next fifteen years, including "Hey, Rookie!", and "Talk About a Lady." He, like Shemp, also appeared in several Abbott and Costello films, including "Africa Screams." He also was a regular on Abbott and Costello's TV show in the fifties, playing the character "Stinky."

After leaving the Stooges in 1958, Joe went on to make more movies. He appeared in several Jerry Lewis comedies. He also made several television appearances. He was a regular on the Joey Bishop show. He played the apartment superintendent in 88 episodes. Joe also voiced several cartoon characters, including the fire-breathing dragon on "The Alvin Show" and the Babu character on "Jeannie."

Joe died of heart failure on March 1, 1988. His favorite Stooge comedy was "Flying Saucer Daffy" (1958).

Re: It's FRIDAY!

Originally posted by lyonsd
And on this day in 1988, everybody's least favorite stooge Joe Besser died.

Not everybody's. My least favorite Stooge was Joe DeRita (Curly Joe). Although not his fault and probably not his intention, I always thought his resemblence to Curly made him a Curly wannabe.

Re: Re: It's FRIDAY!

Originally posted by The Blob

Not everybody's. My least favorite Stooge was Joe DeRita (Curly Joe). Although not his fault and probably not his intention, I always thought his resemblence to Curly made him a Curly wannabe.

Wasn't his resemblance to Curly one of the reasons they selected him?

He never tried to act like Curly either. Curly-Joe did his own thing.

Re: Re: Re: It's FRIDAY!

Originally posted by lyonsd

Wasn't his resemblance to Curly one of the reasons they selected him?

He never tried to act like Curly either. Curly-Joe did his own thing.

Indeed, you are correct on all counts. I dunno, it was just a thing with me... I just never could really get into Curly Joe. And it's not that I didn't like him, he was just my least favorite.

I actually find the Joe Besser episodes fun to watch because there's not that many of them so you don't see 'em that often and they're different. You really can't go wrong with any of the versions of the Stooges, though:D

First timmer on the "Friday happy hour on TB.com".

I know it's late but I'll have a beer..........and keep them coming.

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
meatloaf

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Dude! What wrong with you. Come to Miami where we serve nothing but the best arroz con pollo, frijoles *****s, and platanitos maduros and wash them down with a Corona. Now thats what I call Lunch!!

Meatloaf! :p

Friday!

Ahhhhh..........FRIDAY!! The most loved word in the english language besides sex...lol:D ;)

"In a couple of hours I'll take off for the U.S.S. Alabama!" - lyonsd

Sir, may I be the first to wish you a good, safe trip. Enjoy:D

WOOOOHOOOOO

Good Morning from Central PA! Where it's gonna hit the low '70's today :D:D (but I have to stay inside and work....Damnit:( )

Yaaaaaaaahhhooooooooooo.

It feels good to finally have a job. So that is what 7 a.m. looks like. :D .

Friday, and a new job, I couldn't possibly ask for more. :cool:

Oh, yeah, and my new cam and lifters go in tomorrow.

YYeeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaawwwwwwwww! :D