GN vs Syclone

hope your not tall
I had to sell one I got just not much room in them

Yep, that was my old truck. I'm 5'9" and it was tight. I know 6 footers + who don't have a problem with it. Typhoons are much more comfortable IMO.

Miss that truck...and the GN....but I can only have one toy at a time (for now). (that Sy and a friend's GN appear in my avatar)

The biggest problem with syclones and typhoons are people who don't know what there talking about spreading misinformation about them.

I've owned both and syclones are no more challenging to work on then a turbo buick..

The lack of aftermarket support tends to scare people as well.

I had a GN owner on the Car Audio forums mention he was considering selling his GN for a Syclone. Having owned both, this was my reply:

I had a GN before I bought the Syclone. :) Having owned both, I can help you a bit with the decision.

- Do you feel that your current car (GN) is entirely too reliable, and spends too much time in drivable condition?
- Do you feel like parts for the GN are too affordable and easy to obtain?
- Do you find that the part of a vehicle that appeals to you the most are the jackstands holding it up?

If you answered yes to those questions, then Syclone or Typhoon ownership is for you! ;)

:D

I had a GN owner on the Car Audio forums mention he was considering selling his GN for a Syclone. Having owned both, this was my reply:

:D

:cool: Funny. Remember, lots LESS time was put into development of these vehicles than TRs. From the '79 Sport Coupes up, TRs had more time (plus some racing pedigree) to draw from. Syclone production was ended after one year and most were built on a Friday before vacation. :)

Corners were cut to save money. LOTS of interesting history from someone who was there can be found here:

Not sure what I'm doing here... - SyTy/SGT - Forums

The advantage to owning a SyTy is that it's a pretty tight "club" and nearly every truck is "known" by someone in the community. I don't worry much about replacement parts because someone, somewhere will generally have what you need. Very few people buy these as investments rather to enjoy because when they run, they really run.

My buddy had a cyclone and it was neat until the motor grenaded twice, the second time during the test drive with a new motor! He did beat me one time on the street because it would put two lengths on you before you got going...then you had to catch up.

I couldn't fit in it, they're pretty small. The interior is out of a Sunfire I think.

My buddy had a cyclone and it was neat until the motor grenaded twice, the second time during the test drive with a new motor! He did beat me one time on the street because it would put two lengths on you before you got going...then you had to catch up.

I couldn't fit in it, they're pretty small. The interior is out of a Sunfire I think.

:rolleyes: First, "Cyclone" is a Ford/Mercury product. Which is why GM had to use an "S" for Syclone.

There are elements of SyTys from a number of parts bins. But to say the interior is "out of a Sunfire" is inaccurate. The Saudi Sys (a number of Sys converted for Saudi Arabia and shipped over there in 91) do have gauges out of the sunfire (which was also share by other cars), but the interior shares more with a standard S10 than a Sunfire. There are also corvette parts in there.

So many people say "Isn't that the truck with the Grand national engine?" or "...with the twin turbo corvette engine?" No.

:rolleyes: First, "Cyclone" is a Ford/Mercury product. Which is why GM had to use an "S" for Syclone.

There are elements of SyTys from a number of parts bins. But to say the interior is "out of a Sunfire" is inaccurate. The Saudi Sys (a number of Sys converted for Saudi Arabia and shipped over there in 91) do have gauges out of the sunfire (which was also share by other cars), but the interior shares more with a standard S10 than a Sunfire. There are also corvette parts in there.

So many people say "Isn't that the truck with the Grand national engine?" or "...with the twin turbo corvette engine?" No.

FWIW, the Saudi SYs were the only SYs WITHOUT the SUNBIRD TURBO style dash layout in them. Just trying to educate. Maybe BOOSTEDPIMP (Flyin Ryan);) was on to something when he said misinfromation.:biggrin:

I know the Syclone engine is essentially a 4.3 liter vortech V6 of the era with a liquid cooled intercooler that sits on top of the engine. The drivetrain is out of an Astro minivan and you can plan on pouring gallons of armor all on all that plastic!! hahahaaa.

The seats....no matter where they came from have a non-adjustable headrest that hits me right at the neck and half my thigh hangs off the seat bottom.

The max load is like 500lbs in the bad so don't plan on much utility.

I know the Syclone engine is essentially a 4.3 liter vortech V6 of the era with a liquid cooled intercooler that sits on top of the engine. The drivetrain is out of an Astro minivan and you can plan on pouring gallons of armor all on all that plastic!! hahahaaa.

The seats....no matter where they came from have a non-adjustable headrest that hits me right at the neck and half my thigh hangs off the seat bottom.

The max load is like 500lbs in the bad so don't plan on much utility.

All that said, I'd probably trade my GN for a Syclone or Typhoon in decent shape if it were offered straight up, or close to it.

Bottom line is there is alot of pros and cons to owning either one and it comes down to personal choice unless you can afford both....Either way your broke but happy!!

Were you running mid tens and making over 500hp on a stock long block??

Yes Jamie Hacking went 9's with a stock Syclone block and vortech heads both cars are well capable of running 9's with stock blocks.

Yes Jamie Hacking went 9's with a stock Syclone block and vortech heads both cars are well capable of running 9's with stock blocks.

I think Archie was talking about a factory assembled long block.

I honestly don't think it's a question of the parts being able to hold the power as it is the ability of most people to get the tuning spot on. Tuning via stock ECU has some serious drawbacks (as the Buick community well knows). The Buick platform benefits from the numbers game - There is a much bigger collective of brains to work on the issues, as well as a much larger market for professional level tuners.

I think if you are asking can the engine handle the power, I would say an absolute yes, as long as there is no detonation. It's just an issue of getting the tune there.

Had my Syclone out all day yesterday....stock vs stock, this thing is all ove a GN....pulls harder, handles better, stops better, spools on a dime, body is tighter...Ive owned both for a long time and I gotta say from a fun factor, the SYclone has got the GN....the GN is classier though, I will say that.

I traded a bone stock GN for a brand new Syclone in early 1992. From a dead stop, its not really close. Sy wins. From a roll was a completely different story. The GN wins no matter what the rolling speed was. Handling Sy wins easily. Two lane back roads were a blast. I've had 2 Sy's and three GN's and now a TTA. The TTA wins every catagory I just mentioned IMO.

The thing is...there are practically no bone-stock GN's left and the mods for a Syclone are expensive and more limited.