Getting to hot !

Grandn2

Idk what the problem is but normal driving and the car gets hot so the oil thins out. It has a brand new 4 core radiator and I think a 160 thermostat and a precision front mount. HELP!

run it without the thermostat and see if it runs cooler. If not, pop off the water pump and see what the fins look like.

Give the lower radiator hose a squeeze and make sure it can't collapse at speed.

while you're there get a couple strips of foam to seal the radiator to the radiator support.

Lol, even trade huh! When it gets to about 190 the oil pressure goes down to about 8-9. I'll try those options.

Sent from my HTCONE using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

well low oil pressure means other things what is the highest coolant temp you have seen ?

i would suggest running thicker or synthetic oils. as your engine is loosing oil through crank, cam or turbo bearings .

Correct u are . My mechanic said I have a leak somewhere in the top back of the motor .

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Do you still have the stock single fan? If so, upgrade to Spal dual fans and your problems will go away. Have you checked to make sure the fan(s) is turning on at around 170-180sh? If not, could be the fan switch located at the front of the intake with a single wire going to it.

Stock single fan will have trouble cooling, at least it did on my car, with a front mount.

............i would suggest running thicker or synthetic oils. as your engine is loosing oil through crank, cam or turbo bearings .

The LAST thing you want to do is use synthetic oil if you have low pressure, when that oil get hot, it flows like water.

The LAST thing you want to do is use synthetic oil if you have low pressure, when that oil get hot, it flows like water.

i believe its the complete contrary synthetic oils are thin when cold and get thick hot . you can try it or your self put synthetic oil in your car
is you use 10w30 mineral oil then use a 5w30 synthetic the oil pressure will not be as high at startup and will be higher when hot and warm and most noticeably at idle.
the 30 indicates the thickness of oil at a certain temperature so mineral oil and synthetic will be the same at that temperature and then move apart as the synthetic gets thicker as it gets hotter. this is my understanding and i have tested this and now i run exclusively synthetic oils.

and this is the whole premise of synthetic oils as we want thin when cold for easier start and thick when hot to support the loads.

-30 oil or -40 oils will be even thicker at starts and even thinner when hot as they dont have the viscosity modifiers as any 0w 5w 10w 15w oils have.

feel free to correct me but this how i understand it i ask you to try it for your self!

i'm currently running 0w 20 synthetic in my turbo buick engine and at 210 f coolant temps i have 25 psi oil pressure at 800 rpm idle

I'm pretty sure Nick has already tried this and knows what he is talking about.

Grand2 give the dual fans a try. Stock fan with a front mount do not work very well.

i believe its the complete contrary synthetic oils are thin when cold and get thick hot . you can try it or your self put synthetic oil in your car
is you use 10w30 mineral oil then use a 5w30 synthetic the oil pressure will not be as high at startup and will be higher when hot and warm and most noticeably at idle.
the 30 indicates the thickness of oil at a certain temperature so mineral oil and synthetic will be the same at that temperature and then move apart as the synthetic gets thicker as it gets hotter. this is my understanding and i have tested this and now i run exclusively synthetic oils.

and this is the whole premise of synthetic oils as we want thin when cold for easier start and thick when hot to support the loads.

-30 oil or -40 oils will be even thicker at starts and even thinner when hot as they dont have the viscosity modifiers as any 0w 5w 10w 15w oils have.

feel free to correct me but this how i understand it i ask you to try it for your self!

i'm currently running 0w 20 synthetic in my turbo buick engine and at 210 f coolant temps i have 25 psi oil pressure at 800 rpm idle

i believe its the complete contrary synthetic oils are thin when cold and get thick hot . you can try it or your self put synthetic oil in your car..........

Any automobile oil is made to be thick when hot, and thin when cold, like 20W-50?:confused:

I have dealt with synthetic oils in Buicks before you were alive, and in all the many I have owned and serviced, ALL of them have better oil pressure with regular oil than synthetic. First you need to understand the GN turbo V-6 engine technology and design is from the 1960's.

You may be quoting some info you have found, but many owners here have also changed from synthetic oil, and all have seen an improvement in oil pressure, cold and hot, and less leaks as well. :)

Do whatever you can to seal the fan enclosure to the radiator so that the fans pull the air through the radiator. I used split pipe insulation from Lowes. Helped quite a bit.

Bryan

i use normal oil and i have never seen oil pressures lower than 20psi and thats with a stock thermostat, ive even got the car up too 215+ degrees. honestly synthetic is over rated and it always finds a through cracks because of its low viscosity.

But if i were you i would run a switch to the fan until you can figure out why the radiator isnt effeciantly cooling the engine.