Getting in Shape/ Bigger

Look at the diet first. You need to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight. I'd use weightlifting to increase muscle mass and increase metabolic rate. Eat a lot of small meals but be sure breakfast is well balanced. This will further increase your metabolism. When selecting training types it's important that you stick to one and follow it through. When I started training my goals were totally different than yours. I was trying to get as strong as possible and needed to gain a lot of weight. I had a very ectomorphic body when I started 6'0" 150 lbs. After several years of training my body type is very mesomorphic and I even noticed as I approach 40 my calorie intake is less than it was in my 20's to maintain muscle mass. My metabolism is slower per lb than it was in my past. The training I did was Westside force training. It served it's purpose I gained almost 100lbs and increased my strength approximately 2.5x on the big three since I began. Barbell back squats are the biggest mass producer there is. Always squat to parallel and be sure to add a variety of deadlifts and good mornings. Hammer the abs. Keep in mind that to get the back strong you need to train back. Training your abs will not protect your back. Your abs will not get stronger if you have a weak back. Most ab exercises should be done standing. That's where you are when you lift most things.

Thanks for the information Brian, I appreciate it! Ill try to keep my diet in check. So far I am doing pretty good! The only problem I have with back squats is that I can't get my shoulders far enough back to reach the bar. Physically just cannot do it, I am not sure why. Ill keep trying though. That is mostly why I have been doing front squats.

I'm no expert and would defer to the guys like Bison and Coach for training advise.

Nevertheless, I would maybe consider an alternative approach to the strict weightlifting regimen. For years I lifted weights and looked pretty decent. Never a roid monster or one of those guys that needed 50 supplements on some timed schedule... As I've gotten older, I've discovered that my flexibility was starting to effect my abilities... I was no longer able to lift like I used to...

As has been stated above- nutrition is number 1. Without a good foundation, you cannot build.

I tried P90x and it was fine but if it's the same old same it gets boring. I tried yoga- don't laugh until you try it- way harder than it looks. (It helped a lot to get me to focus my stretches- especially in the hamstings and hip flexors- always tight for men) I'm much better now.

Lately, I've tried crossfit. It's not cheap but, I like the intensity and the variety. Most of my lifts have increased, I've incorporated a lot more stretching, and of course the cardio is insane. I'm willing to bet that at 19 years old you would be able to get shredded in no time... Check out some of the "heavy hitters" in this "sport" - like Rich Froening and Jason Kahlipa. They're around 5'10" and 190-200lbs.
They're not bodybuilders but they're pretty thick and have great strength, mobility and endurance. Apparently, this stuff is good enough that the military is incorporating the workouts and lots of the Spec. Ops guys are into it as well.

One of the selling points for me is that you at least have some "coaches" (check them out as they're not all always the best qualified) that can watch your form and guide you... At our box we even have an Olympic Lifting coach- his guidance really helps with form and helps to prevent injuries.

btw, not sure if your shoulder issues are related to being super tight but I think it might be why... Check out a guy named Kelly Starret: http://www.mobilitywod.com/
You can see his stuff on youtube as well. Tons of stretches and ways to increase mobility and strength.

Good Luck.

Height 5' 10"
Weight - 260lbs
I would consider myself an Endomorph if that makes any differene
38" waste.

With these measurements, my opinion is to focus on your diet and cardio using lite weights and lots of reps. Make small steps. Steps that are sustainable. You have to look at this as a lifestyle change and continue to incorporate this into your life for a better quality of life. So make what you do achievable for long term goals. Don't over due it and run yourself right out of the gym. I have seen that so many times where guys go full tilt, buying all kinds of suppliments and other junk they don't need (just diet is all that's needed), and work out every day, until they get sick and bored of doing it, then quit. You don't need to be in the gym every day. 3 to 4 times a week is plenty. Set a target weight, once you reach your target weight, then start lifting heavier weights and sculpting yourself. For your height, your natural size should be between 175 to 185 pounds. Your carrying too much. Get yourself down to 190 pounds and start hitting the weights. Your body, energy, drive, mental state and outlook on life will be totally renewed. I'm very excited for you. Half the battle is mental, so your half way there.........Remember that rest is just as important as working out.

hello people; Speaking of diet my neice is staying off dairy products and says it's working as others have said she is getting leaner. But getting bigger in size and loosing weight are too different things I don't think you can do both. Winters tuff but better weather will be here soon I hope and then outdoor activities are better than the gym IMO. Biking, walking, yard work and just being outside is a good thing. There's workout stations around my area where you can do things that's nice also.
have fun
IBBY

You can't tell someone to look up to Rich Froening, Jay Cuttler, Phill Heath, Eric Spoto or any of the top lifters in they're sport. They "all take gear" You mine as well tell him to start his 1st cycle.

You asked a question that has an endless amount of answers. I've pretty much left the "weight loss" type of training and only work with competition clients. Our type of diets are aimed at extreme fat loss, but for contests only. The way we go about it...isn't permanent. I drop to about 4-5% body fat for contests, but go back to 12-14% in the off season to make sure my joints stay healthy. The part about losing strength while losing weight is only if its not done right. I work in conjunction with a Human Physics Professor who specializes in nutritional effects on the body. He is an IFBA Pro Bodybuilder also.
Here is a piece of advise I can give you that is more accurate then any so far. Your body is not going to do anything it does not want to without extreme change. Your 19...so here is my advise.
1. Exercise the way you like. Don't exercise to try to prove anything.
Your not 35-40, so your body is still growing and evolving. It's not locked into any certain structure or type.
If your big/chunky...99% of the time...it's your fault. Overeating and lack of activity more then likely contribute to this. As soon as you change your daily routine...your gonna see change.
2. Find a diet plan you can live with and stick with it. Start with about 2000-2200 calories a day. Make 50% of the calories Protein based. 30% Carbs, and 20% Fats.
Once you see your weight loss slow...switch the carbs and fats %'s.
The lower carbs should continue the drop.
3. Pick a cardio type that fits your schedule. MaxOT is 16 mins as fast and hard as you can do it with no breaks or slow downs. The second type is 30-45 mins of slow fat burn walking on a full incline treadmill.
Either one will contribute to your cause.
4. DON'T CHANGE UP ANYTHING IN YOUR CHOSEN ROUTINE FOR AT LEAST 6-8 WEEKS.
You didn't get this way overnight and it will take a few weeks for your system to "reprogram" to your new "lifestyle".
Hit the Water all day everyday. Work yourself to hit a goal of 1oz per pound of body weight. Work to it over a few weeks. Don't do it all at once...you can over hydrate yourself.
Good luck

hello people; Off the main subject as coach brought up something everyone might be interested in and that's joints. As we age they are a problem and to you youngsters you'll see as age happens but how do you maintain healthy joints? I see advertised all kinds of products but there probably all BS.
IBBY

I have struggled with weight loss my whole life. In 2003, I sustained a work related injury, broken tib/fib in my right leg. After 2 surgeries and 3.5 years later, I found myself 50lbs. heavier. I always had lifted my whole life, and was active in sports. I couldn't shake the weight I gained. I have a hectic schedule and found myself making bad eating choices often. My doctor finally sent me for a consultation with a nutritionist. Here's what has been working for me. Like coach said, I shoot for 2000 calories a day. I count calories with a free phone app I downloaded called My Fitness Pal. You can scan bar codes for most foods you like to eat and usually the info is already in the database. It was amazing to me how often I was over eating and not realizing it. Things that you'd think are healthy sometimes end up being worse than the junk is. I try to eat about 6 small meals a day. I have found the 20g 200 calorie protein bars to be great snacks. I have been drinking tons of water. I started back in October. I started out at about 312lbs. I am 6'2" tall. I got on the scale yesterday, and after eating what I wanted thru the holidays, and really not working out much other than what I do at work, I am down to 277lbs. If I had been religiously working out, my progress would have been greater. I strongly recommend downloading that app or something similar. It takes all the guess work out of the dieting. HTH. Good luck in your quest!