Weight Loss

Boost231

What's An Intercooler
Staff member
ok just wondering what you guys think. i have lost 28 pounds in 8 weeks and people are telling me its not healty. Well when i first got over here in the desert i lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks then now another 14 in 6 weeks. Is this not healty. To give you alittle back ground i had hurt my back some time back so i havent done much for excersie or anything just pretty much sat at my desk at work and worked on my car and sat around the house for the last 2-3 years. well once i got over in the desert my back has been filling good for some time now so i wanted to come here and see if i could get back in shape and see how bad my back hurt. well its been 8 weeks now and i fill really good and i have lost alot of weight. i was @ 205 im 6' 1" and now im 177. the only thing i have been doing is working out 5-6 times a week. alot of running on the road and some weight liffting every now and again like once a week. as far as my eating pretty much limited to chicken and eggs over here so its usally grilled chicken,salad, corn, egg whites,cyeral,bannans,and water. i have had a few sodas probley 4 or 5 a few red bulls to spoil my self and 2 or 3 ice cream twix bars sometimes we get steak and lobster so i eat that when we have it. im not starving myself i dont fill hungry. anyways please give me your thoughts. i set my goal to 20 as soon as i hit 20 i said 30 then maintaine i think 175 is good for 6' 1".

Wouldn't worry about it!

Actually that's great that you've gotten down to that weight takes alot of dedication and most of all discipline. Congratulations. I'm trying to get down to my old fighting wt of 172lbs. Granted losing 28lbs in 8wks is probably excessive to most. The 14lbs you lost intially was mostly water weight as it gets hot in Tucson( lived there in late 70's man it's changed , actually my brother inlaw lives there has the Good News radio station. Your probably acclimated by now to the desert. In that desert heat don't get too dehydrated while your working out as you can mess up your electrolytes. Lived out by Marrana actually Avra Valley next to the Seguaro National Park. Have you been to Old Tucson yet?

So what are doing as far as a maintainance program? Myself like you I've been stoved up for the last couple years, actually been dealing with chronic back prblms since 91, have Chronic back pain ,have had 3 back surgeries, 2 0f those have been fusions have about 20k worth of titanium(fusion cages)also have a 60k spinal stimulator( it's supposed to override pain stimuli but it don't do much) as well as a 60k medication pump that injects MS04into my spinal sac(intrathecal)... That's why I'm on the board alot cause once I get home from work I laydown to rest my back. Reading what you posted is an encouragement need to get off my back/a$$ and workout instead being on here so much. I'm sure some these Buick guys get tired of seeing me answer some of the threads. So I think I'll get off and go walk the dog instead of lying here.

Used to do hardcore mtn biking, now I walk the dog around the block. Pushing 190 and trying to get back in the groove mentally need to get back to some decent cardiovascular conditioning even hitting the heavy bag helped good strees reliever as well. Glad to hear your back doesn't bother you anymore "That is a Blessing" I'm sure taking off some of that excessive weight helped your back as well so you are probably feeling better then you have in a long time. Well Good Luck and may you continue to get well you've done a great job, that actually encourages me to get out and do more. Thanks.

thanks for your support. i am doing this for myself and for no other reason. my back has some pain in it still but its just a small amount. as far as the desert im over in the UAE i live in tucson so im use to the HOT. Over here its hot and humid but i work nights so its mostly humid. out and in the upper 90's so its not to bad. but let me tell you when i go out running its so thick out here is crazy. anyways thanks for the support.

I would be estatic if I could turn the TV on and just for once see a comericial on how to GAIN weight. :mad:

in time it will come before you know it you will be a little fatty ;)

It's not unhealthy as long as you are keeping up a decent calorie intake, aka not starving yourself. That does seem like a relatively large amount of weight to lose so quickly but like I said, as long as you're doing it the proper way, it doesn't mean it's "unhealthy". People are just shocked to hear that you've lost so much and that's why they're telling you it's not normal.

The first thing to go when you start dieting/exercising is water weight, the extra fluids stored in your body, so that's why weight loss always starts out quickly. Probably why you lost a lot of weight in the first two weeks.

Sounds like you are eating pretty good, I myself like to stick to chicken, eggs, oatmeal, vegatables, etc. Try to stay at or near 2000 calories every day to make sure you're "losing weight" and not just wasting away.

I would say you are fine, like others have said, you have lost a lot of water weight. The exercise and sweating helps you shed excess salt and this also contributes to a loss of water weight. The first few pounds you lose when you start exercising usually vanish very quickly. I don't know why exactly but I have experienced this many times.

I used to be around 245 @ 5'10" when I was about 17. I got into cycling and just riding every day for an hour to an hour and a half I lost 30 lbs in the first month. In about 6 months I ended up losing almost 100 lbs and I was not only healthy but extremely athletic with a resting heart rate of 34 bpm at 165 lbs. As I have lost and gotten the cycling bug in years after, I have witnessed the initial rapid weight loss and disappearance of whatever loose "flab" I accumulate when I am being lazy.

gastric bypass

I had the gastric bypass done and lost 95# in 6 months. still have about 60 more to lose i hope. good luck on the weight lost.

Really simple, if you are not starving yourself and loosing weight your good. Just the body taking care of its self! Congrats! Amazing what the desert can do to ya!

thanks for your support. i am doing this for myself and for no other reason. my back has some pain in it still but its just a small amount. as far as the desert im over in the UAE i live in tucson so im use to the HOT. Over here its hot and humid but i work nights so its mostly humid. out and in the upper 90's so its not to bad. but let me tell you when i go out running its so thick out here is crazy. anyways thanks for the support.

Be careful to run in the early morning's when it isn't as hot. If you can run in A/C then do that. I've been running for 4 1/2 years. Your activity is high so your nutrition should match it. Remember the food pyramid. You need to eat 5-6 small meals a day. Your snacks should balance a carb and protein and your meals should balance with 3-4 carbs, 1-2 proteins, 1-2 veggies. Make smart choices but don't deprive yourself of anything you want. You've done a great job so far. Just make sure you balance the meals you eat and that will give your body the proper nutrition and all internal systems will function properly. Combine that with your exercise regime and you will be one very healthy, toned machine.

I've been doing this a very long time. Congratulations and good luck!

I had the gastric bypass done and lost 95# in 6 months. still have about 60 more to lose i hope. good luck on the weight lost.

Wow, congratulations. I know how life changing it is to lose a lot of weight. Keep it up.

Man I wish I could lose the 40 lbs I put on in the last 7 months..I packed on the weight after both of my hands were smashed in a 200ton press...went from a size 34 to a 38 pushing a 40 ....:eek:

Maximize your efforts

I lost 14lbs in a month just by giving up my 2+ liter a day habit of Mountain Dew AKA "The sweet nectar of life". I fight to gain healthy weight but have had much luck with Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site. They have fair prices and alway ship within a few days. I mainly get the better protein powder, creatine and glutamine. I spend 30-40 minutes a day working out, mostly ab, legs, back, chest and arms. I am 5'8" and weighed 130 lbs six years ago, two years ago I weighed right at 200 and none of it was healthy because I went from a very physical manufacturing job to a position of a network admin that sat at a desk all day. I bought a used Soloflex in the paper and threw some metal weights on it to start and added free weight exercises on top of that. I now hang right around the 180lb mark and am hoping to be around 190 and very lean within a year to a year and a half.

With the protein shakes, I can get higher calorie intake and help feed muscles what they need to grow. Eating mainly whole wheat breads and pasta will help out too. Best of luck to you and remember to take care of your joints, running may not be the best thing for them all the time.

well as of right now im at a stand still which is ok with me. im hitting the weights more so its all good. im right between 176-179. anyways thanks for your input now lets see if i can get some abs soon.

When I was stationed in Korea in the mid 70's (Seoul)(sp) I lost 10-15 pounds a month ( I got there weighing arounf 220)....I walked to work (about 1 mile one way) ate a healthy lunch every day...got drunk every night (lol), and went I went home for leave 8 months later I weighed 175.......Every month I had to take my uniforms to a tailor to be taken in.........Anyway, my point is you are overseas and will lose weight because you are doing things (walking more) eating better, than you did back in the states.....Don't concern yourself....you will be fine!!!

For me ...

I eat Carbs in the morning then just proteins and greens for lunch and dinner.

For instance I ate a bowl of Total R.B. cereal for breakfast. For lunch, I had chicken w/ salad. Then for dinner I had steak w/ green beans.

So basically, I don't mix Carbs and Protiens. I eat one or the other. I drink at least 5-8 glasses of water a day.

Everyone has there own opinion but this seems to be a good recipe for my wife and I. Hope this helps.