Gas soaked plugs

RICER X

Doing my annual tune up, pulled my plugs and they were gads soaked, again. I'm still old school and still run ac delco's. the car runs great but will fry your eyes if your standing behind it @ startup, way to rich. Oh yeah stock pressure regulator and injectors. Any help should be appreciated. I'm starting to get everything together now for this coming winters project. MAF, translator, chip injector combo, ect. And I've got a claspers heated O2 sensor I'm hoping to put in today.

Do you have any scanmaster readings?
Not yet. That is first on my list though. I've been keeping an I out for a good used one. Funds are tight right now. So if anyone knows of one, let me know.

Last edited:
Is it hard to start? The injectors might be shot and leaking by....A fuel pressure gauge can help diagnose that.

That's the weird thing it runs perfect. And that's funny you said that about the fuel pressure gauge. I bought a bunch of stuff for my car earlier and that was going to be last winters project, but unfortunately I spent all winter fixing everybody else's cars. I finally started yesterday working on my GN, and I spent a half hour so far looking for my new fuel gauge. When I do get it installed (today):) what kind of psi should I be looking for. Sorry I'm rambling but I'm so happy I finally get to work on the car I want to work on. That's why I quit being a mechanic in 1988, I want to work on them, when I want to work on them.
Is it hard to start? The injectors might be shot and leaking by....A fuel pressure gauge can help diagnose that.[/quote)That's the weird thing it runs perfect. And that's funny you said that about the fuel pressure gauge. I bought a bunch of stuff for my car earlier and that was going to be last winters project, but unfortunately I spent all winter fixing everybody else's cars. I finally started yesterday working on my GN, and I spent a half hour so far looking for my new fuel gauge. When I do get it installed (today):) what kind of psi should I be looking for. Sorry I'm rambling but I'm so happy I finally get to work on the car I want to work on. That's why I quit being a mechanic in 1988, I want to work on them, when I want to work on them.

Adjustable or stock regulator? I would generally say around 38-42 psi with vacuum line off will not make it run rich. Look to see that the gauge slowly drops in pressure after the car is shut off mine drops by 50% in about 30 minutes. If it drops fast then you have leaky injectors or regulator.

Thanks Steve, now all I have to do is figure out where I put the @$?@ thing.
Adjustable or stock regulator? I would generally say around 38-42 psi with vacuum line off will not make it run rich. Look to see that the gauge slowly drops in pressure after the car is shut off mine drops by 50% in about 30 minutes. If it drops fast then you have leaky injectors or regulator.

i also have leak down pretty quick after killing the engine but it starts fine. some say fpr or leaky inj & some say fp check valve or rubber hose on top of pump outlet

I tried to get a reading on my fuel psi but I couldn't get the new gauge to work. I think the adapter for the schrader is bass ackward. Can you guys take a look at the pics for me. It's the one from kirbans. Also is this a stock pressure regulator? image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You can get a fuel pump diagnostic kit complete with fuel press. setting gauge from most of the auto parts stores,in their loan-a-tool program you just pay for the item up front but when you return it you get all of your money back. So it costs you nothing when you are done.

That fuel pressure regulator looks like the old adjustable type that had the stock bottom bosch regulator but had a billet top added on with an allen screw for adjustments hidden inside the vacuum port. Take the vacuum hose off and look down inside and see if there is a screw in there.

If this is the first time you are attempting to install a f/p gauge on the fuel rail, pull your f/pump fuse from the fuse box and start the engine. Let it run until it runs out of fuel. This will insure the pressure/fuel are gone from fuel rail. Use a rag to soak up any residual fuel and remove the cap and the schrader valve from inside the rail and attach the new gauge to the rail. Re-install the fuse and turn the key to on and check for leaks. If no leaks, you can start the engine and the gauge should be reading properly. As stated earlier, remove the vacuum line and adjust your aftermarket f/p regulator for 43#. attach the vac. line and f/p to drop to ~38#. The f/p gauge can also be a good troubleshooting tool if you add an extended braided hose, 3' or 4' in length, and attach the gauge from under the hood to the windshield to observe the f/p while starting or driving, whatever the case may be needed. Then place it back under the hood and attach to the fender, insuring the braided line is safely away from the serpentine belt and header. It will reduce the amount of vibration to the gauge and may extend the life of the gauge. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. For some reason I just got these postings today. And Gary K just told me it was adjustable. I got a emailed from Dennis Kirban and he told me he would get the pressure gauge issue figured out Monday. Here's what the top of the regulator looks like.image.jpg

Hey guys, this is all pretty new to me. When you talk about pulling the vacume line, are you talking about the one on the regulator. Dennis sent me the new parts and I just got to put them on today.

I put the gauge on and fired it up. It went to 60lb and took about a half hour to drop to 20lb.

Yes that was at idle. I saw the 60lb and it thru up a red flag with me. That's when I started thinking that the vacume line still being on may be the issue. Now to adjust it to where it belongs, I would pull the vacume hose on the regulator, and turn the Allen or screw, CCW until it falls around 40lb?? And this screw is inside the vacume port?

Last edited:
Yes that was at idle. I saw the 60lb and it thru up a red flag with me. That's when I started thinking that the vacume line still being on may be the issue. Now to adjust it to where it belongs, I would pull the vacume hose on the regulator, and turn the Allen or screw, CCW until it falls around 40lb?? And this screw is inside the vacume port?

Yes, then it'll fall again when you reconnect the vacuum line probably another 4-8psi.