Ran out of Gas - Now won't start

NoMoreMustangs

After my '87 stock GN ran out of gas, I refilled it with 2 gallons and attempted to restart with no avail.

- Refilled with 91 octane with some fuel stabilizer added in (as it is currently in storage)(Quantity of stabilizer as per it's instructions)
- I then replaced the old fuel filter with a replacement AC delco (installed properly based on flow direction), same result.
- I poked the test point at the fuel rail and had no fuel pressure, turned the key a few times to try and prime the pump and retired but still had no fuel.
- With a 12v tester, I tested the fuel relay and confirmed its operation (via clicking noise). I also tested the fuel pump at the test point next to the alternator and heard the fuel pump kick on. Upon poking the fuel rail test point again I had pressurized fuel. Attempted to start again, got a sputter initially but then back to nothing.
- I changed the original plugs with AC delco double platinum plugs hoping to get a little better spark to get the initial start but got no change.
- When the key is turned to the on position I can't hear the fuel pump kick on. It is difficult to hear due to the antenna motor kicking on but I had someone stand back near the fuel tank and still could not hear the pump running.
- I attempted to start again today and got a sputter with it almost starting but it cut again and then began only to turn over.

* I don't have much prior knowledge about the car, in the 5~ times I've started it after the initial test drive it had a very minor difficulty starting but did start every time, but after it ran dry nothing. It appears to be mostly stock. Regulator, rails, injectors, wiring, relay, coil, all appear stock, with the only after market part being the turbo.
* I ordered a new fuel pump, regulator and hotwire kit but kriban is 6~ weeks late on delivery (awesome.). I'm considering reverting back to the direct replacement AC delco plugs to eliminate that possibility and maybe draining the tank to fill with straight 91 octane minus the stabilizer fluid.

- Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to get it back up and running so it can stop keeping me up at night (the blackness reminds me of her).

- I've added a picture, although it will probably have no effect on any suggestions
v8TVJxt.jpg

put power to the gray wire behind the alt you will see a green one also it is for a tach

Sounds like the ecm lost the fuel pump signal.
Pull the fuel pump relay. Make a small jumper wire and jump pin B and D on the relay plug. See if it starts.

That turbo intake pipe is that tape? What's under the tape? If it's leaking that maybe part of your problem.after trying to start it see if the shredder valve on the fuel rail spits out gas. With pressure.

X2 on the jump the wire at the alternator to the hot on the back of the alternator. This by passes the relays and such up front. If the pump doesn't come on with that it probably burned up when you ran it out of gas. I like to keep at least a quarter tank in any fuel injected car with an intank pump. The fuel cools the pump.
Probably time for a new pump if you haven't done one in a while anyway.

Guys, read his op. He's done the jumper at the alt, he's done the schraeder valve.
As mentioned, I'd do the hotwire, pump, replacement.
Those "trik" plugs are not a good choice for these cars.
I agree, that air intake hose is ??:eek:
Look at the oil psi switch, down below the turbo. Is it plugged in? If so, and is working, you should be able to crank the engine to get 4psi of oil pressure, allowing the sw to bypass the fp relay.
Check the fuel psi when you jump the relay at the alt. [Requires removing the schraeder valve, unless you have the trik connector.]

Most likely the fuel pump went out when it run out of gas , the fuel cools the pump and lubes it from the gas , once out it burns up the impeller and no more pump pee .

I pulled the radio fuse so I could for sure know if the fuel pump is priming when the key is set to on. It does not prime.

I again put power to the grey connector behind the alt and the pump runs.

I'll give the rest of the suggestions a try in a few hours when I get back.

Thanks for the tips

I added 2 more gallons of 91, turned the key a few times, turned it over, checked the schrader and had no fuel pressure. I again put 12v to the pump, checked for pressure and had strong fuel pressure out of the valve.

My only guess now is that for some reason the ECM is just not controlling the pumps operation or that the relay is bad. I'll see if the local parts store has a relay for it, I wonder if resetting the ECM would fix it?

Last edited:
My guess is there is not enough fuel in the tank. Add a few more gallons and see what happens.

Are you sure its not ignition problem? If this car came into my shop first thing my techs would do is shoot carb and choke cleaner down throat of the throttle plate and see if it fires, this is the fastest and easiest way to get us heading in the right direction. It can be done in a few minutes and will tell us where to start our test, ignition or fuel side if car starts its fuel related if it doesn't its ignition.Make sure to use a carb cleaner that still has some flammability like berrymans or this will also lead you in the wrong direction. Good luck.

I can't see it being an ignition problem based on: Fuel pump not priming and it starting/running fine before running out of fuel.

Only when put 12v to the test connection to manually run the pump. Key turns/cranking yields no fuel pressure at the rail

Are you sure its not ignition problem? If this car came into my shop first thing my techs would do is shoot carb and choke cleaner down throat of the throttle plate and see if it fires, this is the fastest and easiest way to get us heading in the right direction. It can be done in a few minutes and will tell us where to start our test, ignition or fuel side if car starts its fuel related if it doesn't its ignition.Make sure to use a carb cleaner that still has some flammability like berrymans or this will also lead you in the wrong direction. Good luck.

What do you mean strong pressure at the valve? Measured with a gauge? Or are you guessing? What might seem strong to you may not squat compared to what is required. Never guess.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

Just a guess, I don't have a gauge to measure but when the schrader valve is depressed after the fuel pump is manually run, fuel shoots up to the intake line which to me is enough indication of good pressure for start-up.

Seems I'll end up waiting for the new pump/hotwire kit so I can install those with a new relay to rule out all those possibilities. Fuel pump not priming/running vice feeding it 12v directly is the problem which a new relay/pump/wire kit will hopefully solve.

I added 2 more gallons of 91, turned the key a few times, turned it over, checked the schrader and had no fuel pressure. I again put 12v to the pump, checked for pressure and had strong fuel pressure out of the valve.

My only guess now is that for some reason the ECM is just not controlling the pumps operation or that the relay is bad. I'll see if the local parts store has a relay for it, I wonder if resetting the ECM would fix it?

Like I said 15 post back. LOL! More than likely the signal from the ECM took a crap. It happens to a lot of cars.
Put a jumper wire across pin B and D on the fuel pump relay plug. It's on the passenger fender. The relay with the grey plug. I bet it starts right up. Looking down at the top of the relay plug it's the center pin on the one side with the single pin straigt across.