front mount ?'s

WeSS

I gotz 2 sub woofers
I am definitely buying one. What is the best front mount hands down? I have all the supporting engine cooling mods for the frontmount install.

I have heard some cause problems with hotter engines that are designed and cover the radiator, i have jacks and have no such problems

I have a duttweiler front mount that works very very well, i have seen one for sale recently for a good price.
Why is the cotton unit the best?

I have PTE frontmount and have had no problems. Works great and I believe it is a little cheaper than cottons too.

I currently hav a PTE. I bought it prior to Cotton's coming out. I had cooling problems prior to putting my PTE on but have resolved them with a CAS alum rad and RamChargers fans. I am buying a Cotton's right now since it is the best out right now. I will put the PTE on my wifes GN. If I were you I would get the Cotton FM. It is the best, why not buy the best?

Originally posted by Cheeseburger

Why is the cotton unit the best?

Alot seem to think it is the best, has it been tested against all the other intercoolers and found to be the best?
Is their hard evidence that confirms it is the best intercooler on the market?

TIA.

actually, Tony D's V1 is prolly a bit better according to tests that have been run....but, you can't get that one anymore

check with the fast TSM guys.........think most are using Cotton's

real fast guys use ice water IC's:D

How thick is the Cottons intercooler?
My Duttweiler (HKS)core is 5.5'' thick.
I think i saw the v1 before and it was very thin, maybe 2'' thick but was longer.
I do not see the point in having an intercooler that is longer but blocked by the bumper.

Just my opinion though.
:)

well, you cannot get either the Dutt or V1 anymore, so I think Cotton's is the IC of choice

(the tests that were run didn't include a Dutt IC....so, who knows?)

Ice to air is still the best!

what are your MAT temps with the Dutt? Compare them to someone with a different IC and you would have some valid info...otherwise...........

Cottons

I replaced PTE's latest version with Jack's this year. As far as I am concerned it is an upgrade. NO I have no test results comparing Cottons and Dutweilers or PTEs or CAS but I do have 9 second time slips running Jack's front mount. I have a single core aluminum radiator and no cooling issues at all.. That is one of the considerations I had replacing the PTE. The PTE weighs about 20 lbs with those heavy cast end tanks and Cottons weighs 29 lbs with no heavy castings hanging out there. There is a lot more square inches of cooling. All I can say is it works for me.

I'm looking to get a front mount also and I would like the Cas V2. I highly doubt that one intercooler is the best for every situation and combination people have. If you are on the street 99.9% of the time, The chances are good that a huge front mount will cause the car to run hotter when sitting at lights in the heat, the fans to just stay on which must wear on the electric motor(s) over time or for you to spend additional money to compensate for the cooling issues. Here was a great article I read before deciding. http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/combination.htm Under intercooler, there are actual test results for the major players.

CAS V1 is 4.5 inches thick, but there is no way in Hell you should buy it from CAS if Tony is even still around, or making them out of his garage. Great FMIC, bad guy, I would not even buy it from a vendor, do not support that crook.

The Cotton and PTE pieces are the only ones on the market I would buy due to the size of the core and the great customer service you get when buying one of their products. Vendors of these products are included like Ram, Fullthrottle etc.

You can cure the FMIC blues by running the twin Ram fans. And if you want even more cooling get an aluminum rad.

Originally posted by Marc87GN
I'm looking to get a front mount also and I would like the Cas V2.

Jack has my V2 that I just took off the car inplace of his. It looks absolutely brand new, will come with new pipes and I went 10.34 with it. So if your looking for a deal, give him a shout. If you want the best, then I would look at his unit - I went 10.27 with it.

Sully

Originally posted by V6 Beast
Jack has my V2 that I just took off the car inplace of his. It looks absolutely brand new, will come with new pipes and I went 10.34 with it. So if your looking for a deal, give him a shout. If you want the best, then I would look at his unit - I went 10.27 with it.

Sully

Sounds good to me. 10.30s is faster than I ever plan to go. I had a 10 sec car and it was expensive to maintain. Solid High 11s is much easier on parts. :)

I seem to remember an intercooler test conducted within the last 2 years but have forgotten who conducted it. It may have been "The Source" newsletter. If my memory serves me correctly they tested the PTE FM, Cotton's FM and Eastern Performance's FM. I believe they concluded that PTE and Cotton's FM's performed about the same and that Eastern Performance's was close behind.

I'll try to sum up this hotly debated topic real simply from my perspective....... Looks like I'll be putting up some sponsorship money when Mean Scott orders his new frt mnt..... ;) for TSM.
Also, I have three used V2 frt mnt IC for sale, excellent shape with 3" pipes, $750 each with hose and clamps.

I also purchased a few years ago a jack cotton frount mount and I think it is the best one out there, I run a cooling fan off a 99 grand am which is a dual fan setup and have working a/c and on a 90 degree day the car never see's over 175 and that is with a 4 core copper radiator.