fmic, what size piping?

JT'sV6

Doing a custom fmic and thinking about 3" piping,ic inlet, and ic outlet.

Turbo is stock and will probablly upgrade in a year or so.

Im wondering too cause my cas v2 has itty bitty pipes going to it and im thinking of having them remade in 3 inch..The same size as the inlet and outlet on the ic..I dont know if this will have an effect on anything or not..

What size inlet and outlet from your FM? If they are less than 3" then going to 3" piping probably won't improve airflow. If the inlet and outlet are 3" then going bigger might improve airflow.

One of the fastest TSO guys upsized his intercooler piping to 4" and claimed a measureable improvement in HP.

Dave

my CAS v2 had the 2.5 inlet pipe from turbo to IC , he (tony dequick) only went to 3 later on because thats what people wanted
my turbo was 2.5 outlet and
ran it for years like that at 10.50s. going to a V1 FMIC with 3" pipes didnt make any real difference

bends on the other hand are big restrictions , if you have to have bends in the pipes like short radius 90s or 180s kill flow
the bigger the pipe on those bends the better it will flow , and changing up the pipe sizes suddenly is also bad for flow (fluid dynamics and air acts similar to water) , they need to transition slowly otherwise the turbulance will create a restriction
the v2 FIC does have 3" inlet and the elbow into the IC is made into the ic so theres less restriction at those bends so going from a 2.5 pipe to a 3" there wouldnt be much gain

oh and is that sig for real 11.61 118 on stock turbo and intercooler ,and you're asking advice on whether 3" pipes is a good idea .. really ? im calling BS

There is more cross sectional area across a 2.5" pipe than most fmic cores have. If the engine doesnt rev over 5700 then larger than 2.5" is a waste. I just ran 10.61@127.85 and the engine at no point in that went over 5450rpm. Hope that answers the question.