flow numbers (heads)

87gnNV

What flow numbers do u get from factory heads? What is the max by porting? Also what kind of hp gains can i expect? thanks!
P.S. The intake will also be ported and matched.

TTT

What i really want to know is if the $600 bucks is worth it. For that kind of money i could just get a new turbo!!!
Any all comments welcomed :) .

Go witht the turbo first. You need to max out your bolt ons first and your tuning, then a set of ported heads and some lower end work will be the next step IMHO.

Kevins has a web site, or just do a search for "head flow numbers" and that should get you what you want.

Ted

Per an old article from "the source" Turbo buick newsletter the stock, untouched head's flow pretty much stalls out around 150 CFM and .300" lift on the intake. At .45" lift they only flow around 154 CFM. On the exhaust side, they flow about 108 CFM at .400".

Pretty pathetic if you think about it :)

So do u think $600 for porting is worth it? My GN is stock everything. Take a look at my sig.

Originally posted by 87gnNV
So do u think $600 for porting is worth it? My GN is stock everything. Take a look at my sig.

Lots of people, including me run mid 11's on stock, untouched longblocks. Porting your heads now will just mean you will run out of injector sooner. For the same $600 you can do what I did: buy a used TA49 and a used set of 36# bluetop injectors. This will give you the ability to run 11's. Ported heads and your other mods won't.

If the motor is already in pieces, sure, go ahead and port the heads (or doing a 3 angle valve job and blending it in will help a lot, also and would cost about 1/3 of the price you were quoted for porting). Don't tear apart a good running motor to port the heads, however. That $600 cost will stretch to well over $1000 very quickly.