Florida to Cali * roadtrip

Tori

Hey gang, I'll be picking my first GN in the near future in Florida from forum member 1987GNASTROROOF, and thought i'd share my upcoming road trip with you. Danny lives in Florida, and I in California. I am still working out the details of when, but hopefully sometime in Sept. we'll be cruising west.

Danny has been great to work with, very accommodating, and patient since the cars going to have to hang out in his care for another month. (too many things going on at this end to make it happen any quicker) I feel like i'm getting a well cared for car, that's in great shape and ready for the trip.

Anyway, the plan is to fly out with my girl and for us to see a few sights along the way. We do another hobby related roadtrip once a year driving from CA. to OK so alot of the trip will be old hat. We also don't have alot of extra time for this trip unfortunately as we'll have just gotten back from a trip to England (our real vacation) so it'll be a bit of a Cannonball Run.

Once home, the GN will rest next to it's stablemate, my 1974 Mini Cooper. I figure the GN will be a nice compliment to the supercharged mini. Whats that they say about opposites attract ? :wacky:

We put a fresh coat of epoxy paint on the garage floor yesterday in prep for the big car and i think i'll get that last wall of the garage dry-walled while all the other toys are out.

I'm gonna need a catalytic convertor for this car once it's here in Cali, so if anyone has one, i'd be interested.

Feel free to make any tips or suggestions for our trip.
87GN.jpg

Cheers for now ! :D
Tori

Last edited:
Make sure you have a AAA membership and a tablet with internet access just in case you need roadside diagnosis. Happens to the most diligent of us.

Additionally, take a spare coil pack/module, a small bag of tools (combo wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.) and hopefully the car has a modern MAF system on it already. Otherwise with good oil and trans fluid, you should be fine if you just cruise it home.

John said: "Additionally, take a spare coil pack/module, a small bag of tools (combo wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.)"
Ship this stuff ahead of time. Taking it thru an airport, will get you arrested for "terrorism".:jawdrop:
The TSA goons most certainly won't know that a coilpak is NOT a bomb!:eek:

Also, once you get your route laid out, ask as to who may be along that route, that can help, should need arise.

Sounds like a fun trip. I've done it a few times myself!

That said, I would x2 on the AAA, the tools, and the parts...

I'll wish you the very best of luck.

Good call on the spare parts. I'll probably do just that. I was planning on the AAA membership and maybe even an upgraded membership. I'll have Roadside assistance thru Hagerty so i should be doubly covered.

I'll let everyone know our route once we figure it out and having backups to our backups would be cool, and maybe fun. Might be fun to meet a member or two on the way. Maybe some overpass banners could be made. LOL j/k on that one.

If you can wait until October you can come by the ferd/Buick shootout in okla. If you go to Austin and then cut north on I-35 and make it to DFW and I-20 to go west. BTW, I work in the town of West, TX, where the explosion happened last year and would be happy to help if something happens while you're on the road.;)

Wait till October. :vomit: HA ! you funny guy. LOL You know how hard it is to wait a month plus for this car ? ? ?

I appreciate the offer though. I have a good friend from West, and we stopped in just a couple weeks after the explosion. Quite amazing and sad to see. I know it looks even worse today with all the empty lots now that the houses are gone. I'll put you on the map as a potential safe harbor. ;)

I live in Hillsboro about 20 miles north and got written up a few years ago for helping out with one of the "long term" test vehicles that was done through one of the online magazines. If you come by this way PM me for my number and directions if you need them.;)

5 years ago I did a similar trip. Florida to Illinois, 18 hours non-stop. I had triple AAA as backup and took bunch of tools, license plates, and cash with me on a one way flight. I checked in the box of tools to get around the TSA concerns. Good luck to you.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks guys. Looking forward to this trip. A couple years ago i did a similar trip, to pick up my 04.5 Cummins. (my other turbo vehicle ;)) but less miles. 900 from Boise to here in Cali. It was fun to see the country, and the truck was worth it.

I did a few cross country trips in my old 85. Was great, besides the spring in my seat bottom sticking me in the ass the whole way. I loved driving the car cross country, was just always nervous to leave it in the hotel parking lot.

I always carried:
coil pack/module
ecm
maf
crank sensor
cam sensor
spark plug wire
electrical tape
hose clamps
zip ties
tire plug kit
"mechanics" wire
JB weld
pretty decent compliment of tools
brake fluid, oil and filter, trans fluid, ps fluid

and I am sure there is more. If you need to borrow some sensors, etc, let me know. A good friend of mine loaded me up a box of spares for my road trip, and I mailed them back to him later. I have since done the same thing a few times for other buddies or guys who have bought cars from me. It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have!

James

Hi tori. For some peace of mind most sensors in the car are new,new wires,new spark plugs,translator with lt1 maf,new fuel filter,injectors,ECM believe me on that one,fresh oil,new PS pump,etc. not saying some spare parts are not a good idea it's almost a 30 year old car and a long trip.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have confidence Danny, ;) Plus, as a decedent of McGuiver, i love an adventure.

BTW, i need some suggestions for a custom lic. plate for when i get back home. I've read thru the custom lic. plate thread and got a few ideas, but nothing that really spins my turbo. ;) (that was bad wasn't it)

I like that too, but every good version of BAD BUICK IS TAKEN :( BAD BUIK, BAD BUIC, BD BUICK

Looks like i could do BD BUIK though. ( i dont love the spelling)
Screen shot 2014-07-22 at 12.23.26 AM.png

Last edited:
John said: "Additionally, take a spare coil pack/module, a small bag of tools (combo wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.)"
Ship this stuff ahead of time. Taking it thru an airport, will get you arrested for "terrorism".:jawdrop:
The TSA goons most certainly won't know that a coilpak is NOT a bomb!:eek:

Also, once you get your route laid out, ask as to who may be along that route, that can help, should need arise.
They detained my luggage for having a classic fast in it with harness one year on my way back from BG

BPE2013@hotmail.com