Wellness checks for the "I ran 10's with a paper clip and welded the gate in my day" old folks needed?

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
Check out the new hot rod garage show, they threw ALL the parts at the GN, only ran low 11's. It sounded like they had no boost off the line. 126 mph should have been easy 10's. I bet since no metal works in the car for safety, track made them try to stay about 11.50, hence the soft launch but ran out the back on a conservative boost level?

Check out the new hot rod garage show, they threw ALL the parts at the GN, only ran low 11's. It sounded like they had no boost off the line. 126 mph should have been easy 10's. I bet since no metal works in the car for safety, track made them try to stay about 11.50, hence the soft launch but ran out the back on a conservative boost level?

Cars a joke. They just throw parts at it and don't know how to make these cars run properly at all. I make similar ish power as that car with a stock shortblock. Oh. No fancy holley computer or aftermarket suspension either... Sounded like they didn't have the TV cable set right and the trans was majorly short shifting and the car was just riding the converter.

I think they really didn't want it to leave hard after all the oil downs and no 11.50 safety equipment. She increased the boost ramp, probably boost was commanded but still had pulled a ton of timing out low rpm until it got going, ran 11.3 at 126. I'm sure the NHRA/insurance watches the show and complains about the safety part. I bet it comes back with at least a 6 point with swingouts and runs 9's off a brake first pass. With a cam, chip, pistons, bowl ported irons only, injectors, 340 pump, exhaust and intake, PTS lu converter I went 10's easy at that mph and more on way less parts, 20 years ago. Side note, I have more than all the parts they threw at it and then some, when they get to turn it up it should run very well.

We could never get my first GN to do it, but my buddy got his ugly assed maroon T Type to go 10.95 @121 back in '93. I have an old VHS recording of it buried somewhere around here......

He worked for Evergreen Performance (later to become AirAid) and they used his car as a test mule, so sometimes it was crazy fast, the next time out, it was a slug...... ya' never knew what they were going to get.

He lost track of it after he sold it, but I'm sure it's still out there, somewhere.

Now VGG only goes 15's in a T. Someone needs to tell these guys how to do it. Can't just flip the doo dads and electricals on and go. I took my bone stock 170,000 mile T to the track and ran 14.1 at 98, chip-injectors-hotwire-340-intake-downpipe-no cat was 13.0 at 104 25 years ago. Even roasting the tires the worst Buick pass I've made was a 14.8.

evergreen....i remember that place ,
was in a hangar.....bought a chip from them
Yep, Scottsdale Airpark. TA Performance is/was just down the taxiway. John Levitz owned it. He parlayed Evergreen into AirAid and after 20-21 years, sold it to K&N for all the money.

Last edited:
Now VGG only goes 15's in a T. Someone needs to tell these guys how to do it. Can't just flip the doo dads and electricals on and go. I took my bone stock 170,000 mile T to the track and ran 14.1 at 98, chip-injectors-hotwire-340-intake-downpipe-no cat was 13.0 at 104 25 years ago. Even roasting the tires the worst Buick pass I've made was a 14.8.

I comment on every single TR YouTube video I see on YouTube. Nobody does the basics just to get the car running right.

Guy local used to have a T that ran high 11s with an all stock long block and a stock turbo AND a stock fuel pump. It was kinda light (Roll up windows, etc) and he raced it a lot and really learned how to tune it.

Used to be a lot harder to go fast back in my day ;)

Guy local used to have a T that ran high 11s with an all stock long block and a stock turbo AND a stock fuel pump. It was kinda light (Roll up windows, etc) and he raced it a lot and really learned how to tune it.

Used to be a lot harder to go fast back in my day ;)
But you did it!

I worked for, and still work with, the guy who owned that test mule. We've been friends since '87.

Now, I've got my Turbo Regal. He says I'll never......, what's that word, ....oh yeah, .....EVOLVE.......

Guilty, as charged, but anytime I ask him for some help, he's there..... LOL