First impressions on my WORK turbo

jpwalt1987

I figured I would start a new thread with my first impressions on the new Borg Warner turbo from Reed@ WORK Turbochargers. It is an S300SX3 based turbo with 66mm compressor wheel and a 68mm turbine wheel. First off, Reed was great to work with. Always answered questions no matter how silly they may have sounded. It took a little while to get this turbo built as it is a custom deal to mate it to the Buick 3 bolt exhaust housing but I will say it was worth the wait. I had an old PT-70 PTE built garret turbo circa 1996 that was replaced with this BW unit. The BW makes boost sooo easy it's just plain stupid. My old turbo really needed to be given the gas to start spooling. Not this one. The PTE turbo was very quiet as far as whistling sound while driving. The BW sounds like a jet turbine even while taking off easy. Now that I have had a chance to put my foot in it, all I can say is, holy crap!!!! This turbo pulls like a fright train! Period. I was able to log a couple of pulls through the top off second gear. Not scientific, I know, but I will say that seat of the pants feel is a lot scarier also. I got the boost dialed back to 24.5psi, the AFR set to 11.0:1, timing at 18.7, and Alky set position 6.5 on a single 10gph nozzle. Injector duty cycle was 84% in first gear and 75% at the top of second gear @6200rpm. My fuel system consists of a single DW-301 pump on a hot wire and caspers volt booster with stock lines that have the saginaw fittings drilled out to 5/16ths. Not sure how to calculate the HP with the Alky thrown in but on just the gasoline i come up with 592hp at the top of second gear. The IAT at the top of second gear was 99*. Thats without the alky hitting the sensor. I can't comment on spool time yet as I need to make some adjustments to the spool fuel. All in all I am very pleased with this turbo and would recommend WORK turbochargers.

Attachments

• image-2562881579.jpg
    image-2562881579.jpg
    635.9 KB · Views: 217
  • image-4179752670.jpg
    image-4179752670.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 220
  • image-2187760664.jpg
    image-2187760664.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 241
  • image-2330280408.jpg
    image-2330280408.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 236
This looks really promising, I didn't realize that you spun your motor that high.
Please keep us in the loop with how you like that turbine wheel.
I would love to see some video soon.

It shows 6400 on the power logger but the autometer tach shows 6000. I am inclined to trust the tach more. Not sure though.

JP112_89 said:
Journal.

Nice post with pix.

Joe

The turbo is not water cooled. It is a journal bearing turbo. I didn't read into the post earlier.

Thanks for the compliment.

trailinjake said:
Nice write up! What converter are you using? and what was the cost on this unit?

The convertor is a 10inch fuel and blown ATI for a th400. It flashes around 5400 or so.

As far as price goes........ I can't say. You would need to call Reed @ Work turbos and talk to him. Every application is different. He said he was talking to Shane about become a vendor here so he could show all the new turbos that are available and their prices.

bison said:
What should it be flashing too?

When I get a chance to do some more tuning and such I will check the zero boost stall speed along with an effort to find the true flash stall rpm. I need to wire my trans brake also.

jpwalt1987 said:
When I get a chance to do some more tuning and such I will check the zero boost stall speed along with an effort to find the true flash stall rpm. I need to wire my trans brake also.

A typical 800hp engine needs a 5500 flash stall with an aggressive cam with 218* dutation at .050" The zero stall doesn't mean crap when the car is going down the quarter mile.

bison said:
A typical 800hp engine needs a 5500 flash stall with an aggressive cam with 218* dutation at .050" The zero stall doesn't mean crap when the car is going down the quarter mile.

I knew that the zero boost stall is irrelevant but figured I would still check it. It might be difficult getting enough traction to check true flash stall speed with out going to the track but i will try.
Brian, what do you think so far of where I'm at with this setup and how far do you think I can push it without changing any parts except for maybe an additional fuel pump? Thanks.

I can't remember what the whole setup. With really good heads and 28-30psi I'd expect trap speeds in the high 130's based on the mass flow potential of the turbo. What a/r was the turbine housing? Get the flash stall on the 2-3 shift or just get it to a speed where it won't spin in 3rd and go wot and check the rpm.

bison said:
I can't remember what the whole setup. With really good heads and 28-30psi I'd expect trap speeds in the high 130's based on the mass flow potential of the turbo. What a/r was the turbine housing? Get the flash stall on the 2-3 shift or just get it to a speed where it won't spin in 3rd and go wot and check the rpm.

Gn1 heads(249in/200ex)
218/218 .540/.512 DLS cam
PTE front mount
Etc etc

I am pretty sure the a/r is a .63